Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 5:45:10 PM EDT
How much can I expect to make and an airline pilot. What are some other good paying careers?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Airline pilot is not a good job market at this time, I wouldn't pick it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I made 16,000 my 1st year flying right seat in B1900's

56k my 1st year as a PFE in 747's

I quit, then I am making more now in being self employed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You won't make shit for at least ten years flying for ConHugeCoAir.

From Salary.com

Pilots fly for the love of it, not for money, Bradley said, although commercial airline pilots are well compensated. Salaries are based on longevity, position (1st officer, 2nd officer, captain), type of plane, and personal flight pay credits (FPC), a measure of hours worked. Bradley explained that pilots spend considerable time commuting and waiting between flights, so that a pilot can be gone for three days and only get 10 hours of FPC.

According to the Air Line Pilots Association, pilots can expect to spend approximately $30,000 on pilot certification alone (pilots must receive 11 certifications/ratings). That's on top of receiving the now required college degree. Entry-level pilots, according to the association, start at approximately $28,000 per year; and after ten years of experience, a pilot might see six figures. Federal law requires pilots to retire at age 60.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]

it used to be a good job

I guess flying for FEDEX  or UPS would still be a good gig

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Go surf forums.flightinfo.com and see what those guys say.  Very cynical guys that are tired of the industry mostly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go surf forums.flightinfo.com and see what those guys say.  Very cynical guys that are tired of the industry mostly.

ok
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Avoid airlines at all costs!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ok. what are some other careers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear Mods on this board make a pretty penny. You know bribes and all...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I wouldn't say that. My dad is in the business and some serious cash can be made if you get on with one of the majors. It has obviously slowed down a lot since 9/11, but there is still room. My suggestion would be to join the military and get paid to learn how to fly and get some hours if you are serious about doing it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say that. My dad is in the business and some serious cash can be made if you get on with one of the majors. It has obviously slowed down a lot since 9/11, but there is still room. My suggestion would be to join the military and get paid to learn how to fly and get some hours if you are serious about doing it.

The days of high payed captains are over. The ones that started years ago are makin big time money, but new captains make squat compared to the cost of education and the length of time required to make it there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The days of high payed captains are over. The ones that started years ago are makin big time money, but new captains make squat compared to the cost of education and the length of time required to make it there.

I think that's true to an extent, but I still think it would be a decent field to get into. All those captains have to retire relatively soon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to know how I can be a locomotive engineer...  (Train driver)  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
you could always become a Asphault pilot.
I know a few truckers that make decent money
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
you could always become a Asphault pilot.
I know a few truckers that make decent money

Thats what I do myself... I wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy...  I should have listened to Nationwide..

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not the job it used to be. I'm working a lot more now than before 9/11, and for about half the pay. Going to work is depressing because of all the security chicken-shit, and because the moral of everyone is so low. Last but not least, my girlfriend becomes irate when I try to pollinate flight attendants.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top