Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 3:23:21 PM EDT
can a SMALL amount of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil,etc. be ignited by a .223 impact?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A small amount of gas in a milkjug shot with a tracer makes a good sight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Doubt it.  ANFO is very stable.

Not many secondary explosives will be ignited by shooting them.

Once my freshman chem professor in college brought out a sheet of paper on a cart with some purplish powder on it.  He says nonchalantly, continue with your labs, I have brought something to deal with the flies in this room.  This is Ammonium Triiodide....

That shit works
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think tannerite adds some sort of powdered metal to the AN, I dont know what the composition is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a place in Idaho that hold a shoot once per year called the Boomer shoot. The man running it mixes his own stuff and it seems to work well.
So, it can be done but what the formula is is another question.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is a place in Idaho that hold a shoot once per year called the Boomer shoot. The man running it mixes his own stuff and it seems to work well.

Pretty fucked up what his company did to him.

what's below is cool with me though.

--Joe Huffman
Civil Rights Activist, Free Speech Advocate, Gun Rights Spokesperson
Pink Pistols Activist, supporting the right to self-defense for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered
Certified Firearms Instructor, Boomershoot Director

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.boomershoot.org/2001/MinnieTarget.jpg

wtf is this, seems like you can buy it at safeway?????
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I Like It!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Somehow, I don't think this thread is going to last very long.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Doubt it.  ANFO is very stable.

Not many secondary explosives will be ignited by shooting them.

Once my freshman chem professor in college brought out a sheet of paper on a cart with some purplish powder on it.  He says nonchalantly, continue with your labs, I have brought something to deal with the flies in this room.  This is Ammonium Triiodide....

That shit works

Damn right!  That shit is cool.  All the fly has to do is land on it, and BANG!  Actually, that stuff is so unstable, Ill bet it detonates from the air currents around the fly's wings before it even lands.  I set some off once (and only once) by sneezing on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Joe Huffman
Pink Pistols Activist, supporting the right to self-defense for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered

He alos got fired for promoting gun ownership and the like.
pnnl.info/index.html

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Joe Huffman

He alos got fired for promoting gun ownership and the like.

pnnl.info/index.html

He got screwed for sure from what I've read so far.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Somehow, I don't think this thread is going to last very long.

eh, cant hurt to ask. purpose is for targets not terrosist stuff. anyone know a super simple recipe with AN that will go bang when i shoot it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That shit works

That's some seriously unstable stuff!!  As it dries it becomes more unstable. Back in my college days a "fun" thing to do was to have a little bit (still wet with ammonia) on the end of a tounge depressor (or popcicle stick or whatever) and flick it into other residents rooms at the dorm. The ammonium triiodide breaks up into tiny drops and lands in a nice spray pattern in the room. For the next couple of days the poor bastard that lives in the room can't walk around barefoot in his own room for fear of stepping on a droplet and getting the crap stung out of him!!    Of course this was usually done as payback for some other prank the victim had pulled...  

I seriously don't recommend playing around with that stuff though. Anything more than a gram or so is seriously dangerous to have around.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
A 5lb propane can sitting next to an open flame(firestarter log, road flare, etc).  It aint tannerite, but it can be fun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
TAG   sounds really fun
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Homemade tannerite =

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Heh, reminds me of my adolescent love for explosives.  I had only 1 mishap in 100 "experiments", but luckily I have all 10 fingers
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Scroll down to the bottom: www.freewebs.com/grog/safety1.htm

This is what happens when you play with Tannerite in a not-smart way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
you need something going boom to set off ANFO.
of course we always used det cord, tnt, or dynamite.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#22]
If you can score some, Acetone Peroxide is pretty shock sensitive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Scroll down to the bottom: www.freewebs.com/grog/safety1.htm

This is what happens when you play with Tannerite in a not-smart way.

mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

yummy!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
can a SMALL amount of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil,etc. be ignited by a .223 impact?

I think XXXXX's formula uses some XXXXXXXXX to ease ignition.  Some years, when he didn't get the mix right, the targets would just spill their contents all over the field even when hit directly.  So I don't think ANFO alone would do the trick.

ETA: Ok, TBS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top