Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 1:48:15 PM EDT
We just got 5 month old choc. lab last night. She was a rescue pup and very docile. She is kennel trained and pretty much house broke. Very sweet pup but she is staying in her kennel and not wanting to interact much. How long before she gets accustomed to her new family? It has been a year since we had to put down our 14 year old buddy Bandit. Figured it was time for puppy. http://www.monticello-umc.org/images/pepper.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We just got 5 month old choc. lab last night. She was a rescue pup and very docile. She is kennel trained and pretty much house broke. Very sweet pup but she is staying in her kennel and not wanting to interact much. How long before she gets accustomed to her new family? It has been a year since we had to put down our 14 year old buddy Bandit. Figured it was time for puppy.

As soon as you put food in front of her, probably.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new pup!  YOu did a good thing by taking in a rescue.  One of the best ways I know to bring a dog out of its shell is to let it have unrestricted play time with another puppy or friendly dog.  A couple that I know rescued a 2 year old yellow lab that had been abused.  When I brought my golden and black lab up the dog's personality would go 180.

Give it as much attention as possible.  Let it lay in your lap, to show that you aren't going to hurt it.  I think it is harder for an abused or docile dog to become happy than it is to calm down an out of control dog.

Good luck, take lots of pics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
TPIWWP!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy her some toys with sqeekers in them and sqeek them at her. Sheel get interested soon enough. Both my 2 year old black lab and 1 year old lab/boxer mix came from a rescue. Got them both as pups and they are now the best dogs ive ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I shouldn't think it would take more than a couple of weeks for her to get used to you and your family. Just be nice to her, keep the noise down, and be ready to play at a moments notice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
You're good people for rescuing a dog.  Give it a week...she'll come around
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
She's starting to wag her tail around us now. I think she's going to be a great dog. The foster parents said she loves the water. We just bought 40 acres this past year, looks like I'll need to put a pond on it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!

Can't comment on puppies, but I have a shelter kitty, and he got acclimated pretty well, used the pooper box right away too.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had strays who seemed timid because I have big dogs, but eventually they'll blend right in.
They're always eager to be members of the pack, it's just a matter of time before the dogs in the pack are no longer strangers anymore. If it's just yall and the 1 dog likely rather quickly.
congrats on rescuing a dog.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Give her around 10 days or so. Give her a lot, and I mean a lot, of loving attention. Talk to her. Treats are always good. She will come around.

My 10 year old GSD was a rescue at 4 months. I could not ask for a better dog.

Better than I deserve.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Great looking pup.  My black lab loves the water.  I bought her a kiddy pool from walmart and she gets in it all the time to cool off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top