Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 12:12:38 PM EDT
My dad is looking to get the roof on his house replaced in the near future, and we already know that the decking has to be replaced.  One of the contractors is recomending that wafer board be used in place of plywood.  After some research, I'm still a bit worried about the longevity and durability of wafer board as compared to plywood.

If any of you have experience with these materials, I would really appreicate your advice on this.

ViseGrip
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend a little more and use plywood. If that USB gets wet, it'll start coming apart. My dad was a builder and he hated that stuff, he always used plywood.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Both plywood and OSB will swell/come apart when wet, but they have to have long term moisture  exposure to do so.  Modern plywood doesn't lay as flat as OSB and isn't as easy to install.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Spend a little more and use plywood. If that USB gets wet, it'll start coming apart. My dad was a builder and he hated that stuff, he always used plywood.

It's OSB, as in Oriented-Strand Board. Like all building materials, there's good stuff and bad stuff. OSB that is designed for the application will last as long or longer than plywood. The resin that bonds OSB and plywood together is pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I just used wafer OSB that was approverd for roofing and 24" centers  seems to be fine- be sure to use the metal spacer clips on the seams.  I personally would prefer plywood,b ut at the time it was like another half as much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top