Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 11:32:47 AM EDT
So anyone know much about these?

XBox 360: I was looking at an article on the XBox 360 and it didn't say anything about games, just all the dorky customization features of the console and GUI. So will this console have graphics that exceed the limits of the current XBox or is this just a gimmicky release that isn't going to have much more strength game-wise?

PS3: Not much on this either in term of what games are being made and how much better they'll look. This Press release talks about the architecture of the system, but says software won't be seen until 06.

I haven't done a lot of searching on these yet. I'll post more as I find more.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Your going to get more of the same from these 2.
Expect Halo 26 & GTA 99 to be out this generation.
I'm holding out for the Revolution.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What's the Revolution?

Are any of the new consoles utilizing true 64-bit processing?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the Revolution?

Are any of the new consoles utilizing true 64-bit processing?

The Nintendo Revolution.
And who gives A fuck about specs, I want to see the games.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Like the big N won't be putting out Luigi this and Mario that on Revolution, right?  You don't Nintendo's bread and butter are sequels to their franchise games?  

Let's face it...whether it's the movies or video games, once a company gets successful, they'll beat the horse into the ground with sequels...and all of Nintendos are in house.  

BTW, here are the top 10 selling GC games...

Nintendo GameCube games that have sold more than a million copies as of June 2005.

* Super Smash Bros. Melee (4 million)
   * Super Mario Sunshine (2.04 million)
   * The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (1.92 million)
   * Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (1.89 million)
   * Luigi's Mansion (1.7 million)
   * Metroid Prime (1.3 million)
   * Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (1.14 million)
   * Animal Crossing (1.02 million)
   * Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (1 million)
   * Star Fox Adventures (1 million)

The prosecution rests, your honor

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So anyone know much about these?

XBox 360: I was looking at an article on the XBox 360 and it didn't say anything about games, just all the dorky customization features of the console and GUI. So will this console have graphics that exceed the limits of the current XBox or is this just a gimmicky release that isn't going to have much more strength game-wise?

PS3: Not much on this either in term of what games are being made and how much better they'll look. This Press release talks about the architecture of the system, but says software won't be seen until 06.

I haven't done a lot of searching on these yet. I'll post more as I find more.

The 360 is being released on November 22, 2005, with at least a dozen launch games.  Truck on over to www.gamespot.com, hit the 360 tab on the top of the screen, and read/watch some videos.  Then look at the list of games in the right hand column that are coming out.  In terms of power, the 360 will run rings 'round the Xbox.

You can do the same for the PS3, although it's not coming out until the middle of 2006.  Sony's had no playable content at either the ECS or the recent Tokyo show (I don't believe they had any in Tokyo), so take *anything* that Sony says about the PS3 with a grain of salt at this point.  

Chances are, you won't see the PS3 here in the US until late in '06.  It'll come out in Japan first...then over here, then in Europe.  Sony has *suggested* a mid '06 release date in Japan, but I don't believe they've ever mentioned an actual date.  Sony has had big problems getting product into consumers' hands at launch...look at what they did last Xmas with the new slimline PS2...you couldn't find the damn thing anywhere.  They've also said repeatedly that there will be no simultaneous launch of the PS3...so even if they hit their goal of mid '06, that's in Japan.  It could be 3-6 months before it makes it over here, unless they make a fundamental change to their past distrubution model.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my Xbox360 on pre order already.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

did they stick you with a bundle?  EB's cheapest was like $599 or thereabouts.  

I got a buddy who has a video game store...IF he gets enough, I'm hooked up.  If not, I'll be in line somwhere at midnight lol.  I just want the $399 system and 1 game...Project Gotham 3, although I'm hearing some ugly rumors it *won't* be ready at launch.  

Elder Scrolls IV looks good...I had a lot of fun with Morrowind.  And, of course, DOA4 will be a must have at some point.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
i got a preorder from media play, i tihnk it was 460 with an extra controller and 1 or 2 games,

looking forward to ghost recon and Madden 2006
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The x-box 360 is going to kick major ass!

The pos3 will be an expensive disappointment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out the demo for Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots to see the reason I am sticking with sony.
Even if it is a years wait away, the real time graphics of the system look incredible.

And Hideo Kojima put any fears about pre-rendered video to rest by booting up and playing the demo part from the game.

Xbox 360 will be pretty cool, but my money is on Sony, (for the 3rd time)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
One consideration on picking between the two might be the DVD format.  X-box 360 is using HD DVD, whereas Sony is using BluRay DVD.  Both are high density DVD formats, but they are incompatible, and it would seem at this time that HD DVD will win.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
bill gates controls the wprlf so i figure they will do ok with this consoly, sony is ok i just refuse to have to buy a memory stick to save a game, its petty but that put me off
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I will be getting every next gen console that comes out anyways.

I do have my 360 paid for and pre-ordered through my company, with 4 games.  Cant wait for Quake 4, and the eventual release of the Elder Scrolls 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
My 3 year old LOVES Nintendo ....
I'll be getting an X Box 360.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I think it is great to release another console when developers can't master all the features of the current one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Really??  Have you seen the revolutions controler??  Worst idea ever, imagine usiing your tv remote to play games.  That is what the revolutions controler is going to be like.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Lets see if this works,

Revolution
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I was going to pre-order the 360 just to play Elder Scrolls 4, but then realized that it will play and look better on my PC.

I'll probably pick up a 360 once it's been hacked and use it to replace my PVR, which I only use for playback these days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
X-box 360 with the Hard drive $399.99 and Perfect dark Zero are all Ive got on pre order.  To bad we have to wait til next june/july for HALO 3 to come out and thats if they dont push it release date back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really??  Have you seen the revolutions controler??  Worst idea ever, imagine usiing your tv remote to play games.  That is what the revolutions controler is going to be like.

Its obvious that you dont have a clue.

The remote is only one part to the controller system, and it will also take gamecube controllers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Consoles SUCK.  PC's are much easier to play on and control.   If you played a FPS with a console player vs a PC player even a great console gamer would get worked by an average PC based player.

They're alright for the kids but for serious gaming, gotta go pc.  We bought an xbox due to peer pressure and it's been sorely disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't believe that nobody has given the standard ARFCom answer... GET BOTH!  Or in this case, get all three.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Consoles SUCK.  PC's are much easier to play on and control.   If you played a FPS with a console player vs a PC player even a great console gamer would get worked by an average PC based player.

They're alright for the kids but for serious gaming, gotta go pc.  We bought an xbox due to peer pressure and it's been sorely disappointing.

False.

There are a lot of outstanding games on consoles, that are console exclusive, or just plain play better on consoles.  Not everything is a FPS.

Metal Gear Solid
Mario Games
Metroid Prime series
Final Fantasy
Madden, or pretty much any sports game (have it on PC, but it sucks donkey balls, no matter how you rationalize it)
GTA (goes to PC eventually, but not for a while)
Halo series (one went to PC eventually, but the coding sucked ass)

Hell, I would buy a PS3 just for Metal Gear Solid 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

did they stick you with a bundle?  EB's cheapest was like $599 or thereabouts.  

I got a buddy who has a video game store...IF he gets enough, I'm hooked up.  If not, I'll be in line somwhere at midnight lol.  I just want the $399 system and 1 game...Project Gotham 3, although I'm hearing some ugly rumors it *won't* be ready at launch.  

Elder Scrolls IV looks good...I had a lot of fun with Morrowind.  And, of course, DOA4 will be a must have at some point.  

I ordered it when it the first day it came out, the price then was $499.  He said it would drop when the new price came out so, I am getting it for $399 + tax...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In terms of power, the 360 will run rings 'round the Xbox.

You mean the current Xbox? They're both Xboxes....

Nice screenshots though... if the game play actually looks like this, man it'll be sweet.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#26]
If you are realy looking for the best graphics, then you should stick with a Computer.  Sure you will spend $600 every 12 months or so on a video card and $1000 every 18 months on other stuff, but the graphics, gameplay, and everything else will be 10x better.

Actualy, if you spent a good $1500-2K right now on a build it yourself, you would be set for 2 yrs and have a better gaming platform than any console.  It could last longer but you will start to feel the pinch of not being able to play on max quality settings.  I realy can't imagine how good games will look in 2 years, they look amazing today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought I read somewhere that gaming consoles can actually be better than a PC because the consoles don't have other apps running in the background mucking things up and are obviously a lot less prone to be infected, hijacked, what have you. The processors in them do one thing... make the game run.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Its just way to early to call on who's going to have the better system.

Havent seen any play footage of ps3 just mock ups what what they say it can do.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
X-box 360 with the Hard drive $399.99 and Perfect dark Zero are all Ive got on pre order.  To bad we have to wait til next june/july for HALO 3 to come out and thats if they dont push it release date back.

It's just a guess, but I'm betting Halo 3 comes out the same day the PS3 goes on sale.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Its just way to early to call on who's going to have the better system.

Havent seen any play footage of ps3 just mock ups what what they say it can do.

At this point, they're both gonna be great systems...and each one will have enough exclusive content to make *most* serious gamers "get both", as we like to say here.  I'll have both of those systems...but I think Nintendo will be a minor player in the next gen field...with adults, anyway.  The ONLY reason I have that system is Resident Evil 4, and to use with the Gameboy player so I can actually see Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In terms of power, the 360 will run rings 'round the Xbox.

You mean the current Xbox? They're both Xboxes....

Nice screenshots though... if the game play actually looks like this, man it'll be sweet.

image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/257/reviews/928234_20050915_screen002.jpg

Gears of War, or whatever it's called?  Have you seen the gameplay movies.  

BTW, supposedly, most of the in game footage from 360s at the ECS was done using the first developer's kit...so it's no where near what the full product will be like in terms of frame rates, etc.  Looks to be the Halo of the launch titles.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#32]
The Xbox360 will have the equivalent of three CPU's running.  It will also have an awesome graphics card.  I don't think any PC will even be close.

As for playing on a PC versus playing on a console -

If you use your TV to play your console you will not get those glorious graphics.  What you need is an Xbox360 feeding a computer monitor or a large screen very HD LCD or plasma display (TV).  A regular TV will not get you the full benefit of what the machine can produce.  You will not see quality like that screen shot above using your TV.

Does anyone know what display formats Xbox360 will support?????
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just a guess, but I'm betting Halo 3 comes out the same day the PS3 goes on sale.  

What the rumor mill keeps suggesting.  Hmm... The midnight release would be a real bitch too.

PS3 junkies on one side of the isle trash talking the 360 owners who are taunting the PS3 losers that they've had their console for almost a year.

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm no die hard gamer but I will get a PS3 when it comes out.

Just picked up 4 games for great prices the last few weeks in preparation for when I can devote more time to games (Killzone, ESPN Hockey, Front Mission 4, and one other I can't remember right now...). Hopefully next year sometime.

Edit: I just checked out the MGS4 trailer. I have never played any of the games but are those graphics supposed to be representative of what the game can do? If so I'm impressed. I know they graphics won't probably be up to Xbox snuff but I prefer PS for whatever reason... Of course I am likely easily impressed... The graphics in Killzone impressed the heck out of me!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm no die hard gamer but I will get a PS3 when it comes out.

Just picked up 4 games for great prices the last few weeks in preparation for when I can devote more time to games (Killzone, ESPN Hockey, Front Mission 4, and one other I can't remember right now...). Hopefully next year sometime.

Edit: I just checked out the MGS4 trailer. I have never played any of the games but are those graphics supposed to be representative of what the game can do? If so I'm impressed. I know they graphics won't probably be up to Xbox snuff but I prefer PS for whatever reason... Of course I am likely easily impressed... The graphics in Killzone impressed the heck out of me!

Macman, the PS3 will be a graphics powerhouse in its own right...the only questions are, what will it really have in it, and can Sony sell it for the same price as 360, or close enough?  

There were a LOT of screenshots of MSG: Snake Eater that purported to be in game shots, but I'm here to tell you that the game did NOT look that good.  It doesn't support 480p, and all of the screen shots you see from the game seem to be free of the famous PS2 jaggies.  Even the PS2 games that support 480p don't really look that good because of said jaggies...look at the SOCOM games.  I'd rate GT4 as about the best looking PS2 game..both the 2 Ratchet and Clank games and the Jak 2 and 3 support 480p, and don't look too bad.  

Don't get me wrong, I play a LOT of PS2 games...but when you compare the graphics to even a mediocre looking Xbox game running in 480p, you realize how badly Sony screwed the pooch on their graphics hardware.  Seriously, most of my Dreamcast games will run in 640x480 via the VGA box...and that's pretty much the equivalent of 480p.  

Judging by the *stated* hardware in the PS3, they're not looking to repeat the mistake.  

As for good, cheap PS2 games...have you played Onimusha 2 or 3 yet?  Both of those are cool, if you like the resident evil type games.  Devil May Cry  is a classic...there are just oodles of PS2 goodness that can be had for less than $10 a pop.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The Xbox360 will have the equivalent of three CPU's running.  It will also have an awesome graphics card.  I don't think any PC will even be close.

As for playing on a PC versus playing on a console -

If you use your TV to play your console you will not get those glorious graphics.  What you need is an Xbox360 feeding a computer monitor or a large screen very HD LCD or plasma display (TV).  A regular TV will not get you the full benefit of what the machine can produce.  You will not see quality like that screen shot above using your TV.

Does anyone know what display formats Xbox360 will support?????

wrong. the 360 was obsolete compared to modern pc's when it was announced. There are already games out with better graphics then the pre-rendered screenies of games shown for the next-gen consoles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Hit link and click on Camera  Metal Gear Solid 4

Link to Killzone 2 trailer

Still digging for 360 stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Also           Its confirmed.

Halo 3 parrying PlayStation 3 launch

Time quotes Bill Gates saying that Sony's next-gen console will "walk into" the Xbox 360 follow-up to the best-selling sci-fi shooter.
For months, the Web was rife with rumors that Microsoft would ship the sequel to Halo 2 for the Xbox 360 simultaneously with the launch of the PlayStation 3. Now, that has been confirmed--by none other than Bill Gates himself.

In next week's issue of Time Magazine--which features Gates holding the Xbox 360 on the cover--Gates mentioned plans for the release of the much-anticipated follow-up to the best-selling console shooter. In a parenthetical sidebar in the article, Time says the following:

"Note to the hard-core faithful: the next version of Halo will not, repeat not, be ready in time for the launch of Xbox 360. It will be part of the all-important second wave next spring. 'It's perfect,' Gates says, radiant with bloodlust. 'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3.'"

While Microsoft reps were not available for comment as of press time, Gates' comments appear to confirm the theory that Microsoft will release Halo 3 either simultaneously or near the release of Sony's next-gen console. It also marks further official confirmation that a third Halo is indeed in the works and will be released for the Xbox 360.

Although such statements might be interpreted as grandstanding, such a maneuver definitely would have an impact. Halo 2 sold more than 6.5 million copies to date and is credited with doubling the subscriber base of Xbox Live from around 750,000 to more than 1.5 million. It is also credited by industry-watchers as one of the main reasons for boosting sales of the original Xbox last holiday season.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 05/15/05 12:50 PM PST

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Macman, the PS3 will be a graphics powerhouse in its own right...the only questions are, what will it really have in it, and can Sony sell it for the same price as 360, or close enough?  

There were a LOT of screenshots of MSG: Snake Eater that purported to be in game shots, but I'm here to tell you that the game did NOT look that good.  It doesn't support 480p, and all of the screen shots you see from the game seem to be free of the famous PS2 jaggies.  Even the PS2 games that support 480p don't really look that good because of said jaggies...look at the SOCOM games.  I'd rate GT4 as about the best looking PS2 game..both the 2 Ratchet and Clank games and the Jak 2 and 3 support 480p, and don't look too bad.  

Don't get me wrong, I play a LOT of PS2 games...but when you compare the graphics to even a mediocre looking Xbox game running in 480p, you realize how badly Sony screwed the pooch on their graphics hardware.  Seriously, most of my Dreamcast games will run in 640x480 via the VGA box...and that's pretty much the equivalent of 480p.  

Judging by the *stated* hardware in the PS3, they're not looking to repeat the mistake.  

As for good, cheap PS2 games...have you played Onimusha 2 or 3 yet?  Both of those are cool, if you like the resident evil type games.  Devil May Cry  is a classic...there are just oodles of PS2 goodness that can be had for less than $10 a pop.  

I've seen that before - doesnt matter which game system it's on, they all do it - where a developer will taut their amazing graphics with a FMV rendering on their development boxes and then when the game comes out everyone's like "WTH this is all crappy!"

I also remember reading a lot at IGN around the time the PS2 came out about what the pre-release hardware list was (and the polygon throughput for example) and then when it was released (late) it was nothing like what they said it would be.

I cannot wait for GT5 to come out for the PS3. That's one game I might pony cash up for right when it comes out... I have GT3 and it's awesome... (driving at night when it's raining, just incredible graphics)... Eventually I'll have a big screen HDTV to play it on so I'll be able to take advantage of the resolution with a PS3 then.

I'll look in to those titles, thanks! My tastes tend to run to the giant robot/blowing stuff up genre but I'll try any game once...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

\

Killzone 2: NICE!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Xbox 360 will have three CPU cores, each running at 3.2 GHz.  I don't know of any home PC that has that much computing power - two, yes; three, no.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Tell me about GTA 99
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

\

Killzone 2: NICE!

check out Gears of War....the Gamespot has some movies up...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top