Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:51:23 AM EDT
I for one cannot wait for it to arrive.  I bought a brand new Howa, Model 1100, 7mm rem mag.  Sporter edition, with the thumb hole stock, nice wood finish.  A special bonus this year is I'm taking my neighbor's kid out with me.  we've lived next door for 3 years now, and this kid loves guns and everything they can be involved in.  But not in a weird serial killer type way.  The knid of way, like most of us here.  He wants to now how to shoot effectively, practicing trigger squeeze, breath control and site picture alignment.  

I'm really looking forward to showing a youngster the outdoors, and introducing him to outdoor sports.  He's come to the range a few times, and has an overwhelming desire to learn.  I just thinks its so rare that you get to help bring a conservative into the world, especially at such a young age.  

Happy hunting and Shoot safely,  hotgun.gif

Dave.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
yes very much so
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
can't wait....already got my license
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
i dont; know if it's deer season or just the thought of sitting under a juniper in the snow with a  rifle and a half pint of hot damn 100.  then there is the iron smell of freshly killed meat roasting on a hot fire while you clean game.  

yep.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh hell ya!! I got the .460 Wby Mag almost done!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been waiting since it closed last year
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
In Jersey we have been hunting for  almost 1 month now.  Bow season started in the beginning of September.  Haven't gone out yet but looking forward to getting out there.  Heard there are alot of bucks running around my hunting area.  Good Luck and Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Is anybody else looking forward to deer season this year?

me, me, me, me
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Broadheads are getting sharpened tonight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We planted food plots at the end of August so they would be coming up for archery. Archery still doesn't start here until Oct. 18th and then rifle doesn't start until the beginning of December and then runs into February. THere is also a little black powder mixed in between those two. I'm ready because I am out of deer meat. I killed four little (130 - 180 lbs)Florida deer last year and ran out of meat months ago.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bow season has been in for 3 weeks here.  It's been too bloody hot to hunt.  90 + degrees.  Supposed to be low 50s this coming Saturday, so I'm in the tree then.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Season opened August 15th in the lowcountry of South Carolina.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've already butchered 2 deer for my brother-in-law. And I sighted my rifle in last weekend. I can't wait!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep , SAt. Bow season and duck season open up. Am duck hunting first , then will bow hunt days off. Next I need to start reloading my 06 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't wait, every redneck and his brother will be on my property, trespassing, shooting every which way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
 First time in the field with my 6.8 if all goes well...

FWIW, I think Hokie said something about looking forward to all of the annual ".223 for deer?" threads...

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to shoot a deer from our porch with my Ruger Super Blackhawk.  The advantage of shooting a deer in your backyard is that you can process it really quickly and the meat is so tender.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can't wait, every redneck and his brother will be on my property, trespassing, shooting every which way.

head.gif
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't wait.  I'm so ready!  There's a 5 pt buck out at the ranch I want to get it before the poaching neighbor does!

Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I can't wait.  I'm so ready!  There's a 5 pt buck out at the ranch I want to get it before the poaching neighbor does!

Patty

Only five? Thats not even legal here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#22]
not really.  I have an exam or somthing opening day, so i will be missing it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Only five? Thats not even legal here.

lol that's a huge buck here!  Last year My forked horn and the hubby's 3 pt were the only non bambi bucks shot.  It fills the freezer and feeds the boy. [I have a son who is 6'5 160 can pack away more groceries then 2-3 men!]

Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not trying to down you but are you talkin' about one side or both?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I certainly. I have my AK-74, butcher paper, and an empty freezer all ready. I'll probably shoot my limit during the first week. After that, I'll use the meat my friends shoot on their licenses. There's so many friggin' deer around here, and I've been itching to issue some smack down all year:

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#26]
So many deer, so few permits.  So far, I have a TON of LAMP options.  You see, I hunt for the freezer and here in Texas, the Landowner Assisted Management Program needs hunters for culling the herd.

Antlers?  Cannot eat them.  This is for the pot and it is looking great.  A yearling doe is excellent table fare.  The liver is great if not in a juniper area.  Hearts are always good.  And the backstrap...bones go into the soup pot, always welcome for cool winter nights.

The statewide herds are looking great.  And then the reality of my required hog harvest...I might not get much sleep.  I have to kill 12 hogs from a relative's land, otherwise she will be overrun.  I hope they have enough fat for the sausage, otherwise the sausage will be mostly wild piggie.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

eh....I think you mean me - that would be each side.  The way we count points is how many points on one side so a 5 pt would be 5 on one side or a total of 10 [typically - sometimes they'll have 4 on one side, 5 on the other].

Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I certainly. I have my AK-74, butcher paper, and an empty freezer all ready. I'll probably shoot my limit during the first week. After that, I'll use the meat my friends shoot on their licenses. There's so many friggin' deer around here, and I've been itching to issue some smack down all year:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/7718AK-74_003-med.jpg

Can you hunt with a full mag?  We are limited to only 5 rounds here.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

eh....I think you mean me - that would be each side.  The way we count points is how many points on one side so a 5 pt would be 5 on one side or a total of 10 [typically - sometimes they'll have 4 on one side, 5 on the other].

Patty

Oh . . . ok!  We call them by total points round here, sorry just a little confused!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I should point out though that that would be a big buck here.  We have a lot of cougars that eat a lot of venison.  My husband also has a speed goat tag [antelope] which will be exciting!

Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Im Tired of Deer season already, I have pulled so much fucking 7mm, .308 , .270, 30-06. We are completly swamped with orders at work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I should point out though that that would be a big buck here.  We have a lot of cougars that eat a lot of venison.  My husband also has a speed goat tag [antelope] which will be exciting!

Patty

Can you hunt the cougars

because that would be alot of fun , but only with a knife
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Can you hunt the cougars

because that would be alot of fun , but only with a knife

Sort of.  I have a cougar tag and if I see one I'll shoot it.  However its rare to see one.  You can't use dogs to hunt cougars in Oregon and dogs are really the only effective way of hunting them.

Patty
PS Its loads of fun, trust me!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#34]
It does sound like fun.

I have never really been hunting.
Hunting deer with a rifle seems to me sort of unsporting, espeicaly if your using anything bigger than .308, I would like to try bow hunting.

I would like to try some Dangerous game hunting like big cats and bears and what not, basicly if it won't kill me givin the chance, Im not really intrested
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It does sound like fun.

I have never really been hunting.
Hunting deer with a rifle seems to me sort of unsporting, espeicaly if your using anything bigger than .308, I would like to try bow hunting.

I would like to try some Dangerous game hunting like big cats and bears and what not, basicly if it won't kill me givin the chance, Im not really intrested

I've been begging the husband to take me bear hunting but he won't.  I would go with out him but I'm afraid I would get one and have to pack it out myself!

Cougars are fun.  I've only shot two, one was with my .44 and one was with my AR.  I typically use my AR for deer although this year I'm packing my 30-06.  I would use my 06 or my .340 weatherby for a bear.

Its all fun but I have to fill the freezer.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i dont; know if it's deer season or just the thought of sitting under a juniper in the snow with a  rifle and a half pint of hot damn 100.  then there is the iron smell of freshly killed meat roasting on a hot fire while you clean game.  

yep.  

Yes sir. Sit under that tree with a loaded rifle drinking 80 proof schnapps.
That's exactly what gun owners and hunters need more of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/7718AK-74_003-med.jpg

Can you hunt with a full mag?  We are limited to only 5 rounds here.  Patty

Yes, ma'am; 30rnds FMJ 5.45x39. Not that I need them, but "just because I can."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I cant wait to get back out on the ranch wait in a blind in 40 degree weather while sipping on johnny walker for several hours straight.

Heres a picture of my best freind and a cull buck we let her kill on my property last Januaray. Were gonna try again this year for an eight pointer for her.  While im gonna keep my eye out on a 12 pointer we have spotted ocassionaly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I cant wait to get back out on the ranch wait in a blind in 40 degree weather while sipping on johnny walker for several hours straight.

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/Kid_Sampson/kid.jpg

Heres a picture of my best freind and a cull buck we let her kill on my property last Januaray. Were gonna try again this year for an eight pointer for her.  While im gonna keep my eye out on a 12 pointer we have spotted ocassionaly. hr

Shes cute.  Nice buck too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Sure- just not looking forward to all the once a year shooters "sighting in" at the range, while ignoring all the range rules that keep people from getting hurt.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Schulze, I'm jealous of your mag limit [or lack of].  I would love that - not because I need it for bucks but it never fails I'll have used 2-3 rounds on my buck [I'm not the best shot] and I'm cleaning it out and low and behold a dern coyote will come check things out. .

Here's my buck I got this morning.  Forgive the scowl on my face.  The hubby was yelling at me "SHOOT, SHOOT.....on and on" the dern thing was running hells bells as fast as he could straight away from me and I had to concentrate to hit him somewhere other then the arse.

Patty
PS It had 2 pts on one side and 3 on the other.  It had some pretty nice eye gaurds too, not a bad buck for this area.  It'll feed the kidlets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Today starts archery season in Ohio. But I've got a migrain and decide to stay home. Boo Hoo. Poor me. Just sleep and surf arfcom all day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Going for 30" this year....

I have a freezer full of beef, no sense in just shooting any ole deer and letting the meat waste.  We will see, I may shoot a fat bastard and practice my butcher skills.  I refuse taking it to the local butcher, the guy is an asshole, everyone in his operation is an asshole and I about had to boot him in the balls to get my antlers back to send them off to the taxidermist.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Today starts archery season in Ohio. But I've got a migrain and decide to stay home. Boo Hoo. Poor me. Just sleep and surf arfcom all day.

Sounds familiar. Archery season opened today in Indiana. I went to bed around 9PM last night, and woke up at 2AM with a terrible headache. I begged my wife out of a Lortab and finally went back to sleep. Needless to say, I got up 3 hours later at 5AM and headed out.

And talk about a perfect hunt. God was definitely my guide on it, as everything worked out great. First of all, a guy noticed my personalized license plate (regarding my M16 rifle) on my vehicle a couple of weeks ago and struck up a conversation with me. The conversation led somehow to hunting and he said he had a large farm across the valley from me, and said that no one has hunted it for years and that no one is allowed to hunt it now. He said that I could have sole permission if  wanted. I looked it over yesterday evening and chose a tree. I climbed that tree this morning at 6:15 AM, and shot a doe with my bow at 15 yards at 7:02 AM. I heard her crash, got down immediately, and went to her. I dragged her the 300 yards or so out of the woods alone, gutted her in the field, and loaded her up by 8:00 AM. Now I can relax and hunt for a 125" P&Y or bigger buck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Great Storey M4M.  Do you hunt with your M16?  We aren't allowed too here in Oregon.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I sighted in this morning. I got drawn for Elk.
Looking forward to the time off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#48]
First day of archery today, didn't see anything this morning.

I've been bored with rifle hunting for some time now and only take the scoped 7mm mag for bear.  I ordered a Yugo 24/47 Mauser and I'm waiting for it to get here... I'm going to take it with open sights and give it a try this year.  Hoping to add another dimension to it and get me back into it.

Then next year, my oldest boy will be old enough to hunt.  He is already wanting to go trapping.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So many deer, so few permits.  So far, I have a TON of LAMP options.  You see, I hunt for the freezer and here in Texas, the Landowner Assisted Management Program needs hunters for culling the herd.

Antlers?  Cannot eat them.  This is for the pot and it is looking great.  A yearling doe is excellent table fare.  The liver is great if not in a juniper area.  Hearts are always good.  And the backstrap...bones go into the soup pot, always welcome for cool winter nights.

The statewide herds are looking great.  And then the reality of my required hog harvest...I might not get much sleep.  I have to kill 12 hogs from a relative's land, otherwise she will be overrun.  I hope they have enough fat for the sausage, otherwise the sausage will be mostly wild piggie.

Need some help?

I'm sure my 8 year old wouldn't mind trying to bag his first critter.

Of course, I'm not too enthused about deer season yet, being that it was 98 FRIGGIN DEGREES again today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's the last one I shot... Scored 124-1/8 on the Boone & Crockett scale. Never did get a body weight.
It currently hangs on the wall above my head.

Not bad for a Southeastern PA Whitetail huh ?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top