Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:29:48 AM EDT
The Phantom Cops of New Orleans

Link

Yesterday the police chief of New Orleans made news when he suddenly retired. No doubt he's had a tough four weeks, but it looks like things were just about to get tougher for him. One of the big stories in the immediate aftermath of Katrina was the disappearance of hundreds of the city's cops. Now it looks like some of those officers may have never existed in the first place (from Political Diary):
Leaving the city of New Orleans even less of a leg to stand on was the performance of its police force, much of which disintegrated during Katrina. Yesterday, police Superintendent Eddie Compass suddenly resigned even as his department was preparing to hold disciplinary hearings for 259 police officers who had left their posts without permission during the storm. Originally, over 500 officers were said to have been deserters, but the FBI is discovering that many of them fact didn't shirk their duty -- because they didn't exist. An investigation is uncovering evidence that many were "ghost" employees put on the payroll by others who pocketed their paychecks.

None of this surprises New Orleans residents, who have seen more than 50 police officers go to prison in the last dozen years, two of them to death row. When one police district was caught altering its crime data last year, the now-departed Chief Compass said: "I don't need an outside agency coming in. I think we have proven that we are capable of taking care of our own house." Clearly that's not the case. Here's hoping the federal aid flowing into the city includes some requirements that the local police force be rebuilt from the ground up.

Now, perhaps, it's time to take an even harder look at the mayor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
didn't the ARVNs pull this same stunt?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh baby, this is gonna hurt.  If I was going to put a care package together for him, it'd have a tube of K-Y in there and the outline of a woman for the tattoo he's going to get on his back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh it's pretty clear that Compass resigning was the writing on the wall that the stink in New Orleans is going to start smelling worse here really soon.

These guys are going up the river... and I suspect that before it's all over, they will start singing away like songbirds to cut plea deals.

Hard telling who is going to get outed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]

It sucks to be compass this year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahahaha!!!

I may not believe in Karma... but sometimes it sure seems like it exists and is going to whack Mr. Compass in the head...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Mmm, bring back public stonings.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#7]
First to say:.........................................................

It's all BUSH'S FAULT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well he did FAIL to personally audit the NOPD.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well he did FAIL to personally audit the NOPD.

He didn't sit in on each of the interviews either. Clearly, he fell down on the job because he was too busy in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think that Chief Moose has a golden opportunity here.  Truthfully, they need a chief from the outside who is already collecting a pension from somewhere else and who can hit the ground with a broom.  They probably have some decent officers but they need to clean up the act in a major way and start over.  My take on corruption that deep is that it is not just from the bottom up, but also from the top down.  No supervisor signs off on payroll for an employee who does not exist unless he is getting a cut of the take.

You mean this Chief Moose? He's already on the case and looking to kick some ass.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that Chief Moose has a golden opportunity here.  Truthfully, they need a chief from the outside who is already collecting a pension from somewhere else and who can hit the ground with a broom.  They probably have some decent officers but they need to clean up the act in a major way and start over.  My take on corruption that deep is that it is not just from the bottom up, but also from the top down.  No supervisor signs off on payroll for an employee who does not exist unless he is getting a cut of the take.

You mean this Chief Moose? He's already on the case and looking to kick some ass.

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/lootermoose.JPG

Now there is a photoshop opportunity.  Put Compass' face on the looters body!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#14]
So what are we doing?  We're practically air-dropping cash into New Orleans with little or no oversight.  Yeah, yeah, I heard G.W.B. say he was going to appoint watchdogs.  The problem is that once the money been stolen or spent inappropriately IT'S GONE!!!  We can cry and moan all we want, that money will never be seen again.  

Our tax money would be better spent on Caterpillar dozers and diesel to run them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#15]
That is ONE FUCKIN Crooked town, Man!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
And we're supposed to pay how many billion dollars to those crooks?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh this is too good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Perhaps GW held this over Nagin's head, causing his change of tune? Remember how he shifted from blaming him to blaming Gov. Blanco?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So what are we doing?  We're practically air-dropping cash into New Orleans with little or no oversight.  Yeah, yeah, I heard G.W.B. say he was going to appoint watchdogs.  The problem is that once the money been stolen or spent inappropriately IT'S GONE!!!  We can cry and moan all we want, that money will never be seen again.  

Our tax money would be better spent on Caterpillar dozers and diesel to run them.

Sort of like the missing... what's it up to now...  $4 billion in CASH in Iraq?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/lootermoose.JPG

Outstanding.  Say what you want about him and how he made a few gun owners feel villified, but he did get the terrorists in a very short time.  

Damn that innocent until proven guilty thing, as long as you get results.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of like the missing... what's it up to now...  $4 billion in CASH in Iraq?

Not sure I can argue with you about this any more.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
can we officialy throw LA out of the south?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
can we officialy throw LA out of the south?

Comeon, every good campsite has a latrine.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Link

Yesterday the police chief of New Orleans made news when he suddenly retired. No doubt he's had a tough four weeks, but it looks like things were just about to get tougher for him. One of the big stories in the immediate aftermath of Katrina was the disappearance of hundreds of the city's cops. Now it looks like some of those officers may have never existed in the first place (from Political Diary):
Leaving the city of New Orleans even less of a leg to stand on was the performance of its police force, much of which disintegrated during Katrina. Yesterday, police Superintendent Eddie Compass suddenly resigned even as his department was preparing to hold disciplinary hearings for 259 police officers who had left their posts without permission during the storm. Originally, over 500 officers were said to have been deserters, but the FBI is discovering that many of them fact didn't shirk their duty -- because they didn't exist. An investigation is uncovering evidence that many were "ghost" employees put on the payroll by others who pocketed their paychecks.

None of this surprises New Orleans residents, who have seen more than 50 police officers go to prison in the last dozen years, two of them to death row. When one police district was caught altering its crime data last year, the now-departed Chief Compass said: "I don't need an outside agency coming in. I think we have proven that we are capable of taking care of our own house." Clearly that's not the case. Here's hoping the federal aid flowing into the city includes some requirements that the local police force be rebuilt from the ground up.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=394214

I knew it!  Here's my posting from this thread asking if we thought the chief of police felt pressure from ordering the blanket confiscation of firearms.

Think he could be taking some heat over the gun confiscations?

No not really. Gun confiscation means nothing to him or most of the politicos in NO & LA. He could care less if he tramples on the rights of law abiding citizens. IMO I think he was feeling the heat of his 250 AWOL poliece officers ,and that the Justice Department, upon deeper investagation of the gun confiscation debacle, was going to uncover evidence of him being on the take. I think it's all about a corrupt cop jumping ship before the truth about his criminal actions are made public. He feels no guilt about the ordered gun confiscations.

That son of a bitch was as crooked as the day is long.  I hope they lock his ass up for about 40 years! Asshole
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#25]
What a shit hole.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Does that article imply that there were around 241 ghost employees?  That's a good recurring payday for lots of folks if it does.  I wonder how many of the records will end up having vanished in the hurricane, flooding and fires?  This could get pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Does that article imply that there were around 241 ghost employees?  That's a good recurring payday for lots of folks if it does.  I wonder how many of the records will end up having vanished in the hurricane, flooding and fires?  This could get pretty entertaining.

Anyone want to get into the indictment pool?  I pick 43.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]
[gommer]  Suprise....suprise.....suprise  [/gommer]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the French screwed us over pretty good on the whole Louisana Purchase deal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like they were in need of a Moral Compass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Looks like the French screwed us over pretty good on the whole Louisana Purchase deal.

huh????

I thought TJ did pretty well on that deal.

This latest NO debacle is too funny.... damn shame this doesn't make it on the national/network 'news'.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Makes me wonder how many ghost city employees there were, how many ghost levee workers and pump house guys, etc.

Nagin getting jail time would make me happy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link

25 years of Affirmative Action + Residency Requirement(Better qualifified people from suburbs will not be hired for 15 years = What we saw with Katrina--Nuff Said...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Since Moose first accused a "white male" of being the shooter in DC, the photoshop pic needs to be changed to a white guy haulin' off the Heineken.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Unbelievable......

But not.  

They should just blow the fuckin levees in place, and call that entire shithole done.

Let Mother Nature reclaim what she seems to want back anyway.....

*shakes head*

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Sure makes me feel better how much taxes I pay...  

Throw the guilty fuckers in jail for a LONG time!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Perhaps GW held this over Nagin's head, causing his change of tune? Remember how he shifted from blaming him to blaming Gov. Blanco?

Hopefully GW is that politically astute!

Quoted:
What a shit hole.

+1 (billion)

Quoted:
Makes me wonder how many ghost city employees there were, how many ghost levee workers and pump house guys, etc.

Nagin getting jail time would make me happy.

I knew EVENTUALLY we'd agree on SOMETHING!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#38]
If it could happen there, it's probably happening here in Philly too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#39]

HAHA!  Chief Bullwinkle rides again!  He's probably still tossing and turning about the middle aged ex-military white guy in a panel van.  "Well, it fits the profile."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Who says life isn't entertaining? This is like watching a never ending train wreck! WOW!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Now all we need is a good old fashoined NOLA funeral for them "lost" officers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What a shit hole.

Him or the City?

Wait, don't answer that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally we heard that 50% of NO Po-Po’s deserted.
Now we find that the actual amount is closer to 15%.
(Which is a reasonable number considering everything.)

But for the rest, that’s something The New York Times isn’t going to cover.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Not in my wildest dreams have i ever imagined the shit would get this deep in NO.
Unfuckingbelivable

Matt
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Outstanding.  Say what you want about him and how he made a few gun owners feel villified, but he did get the terrorists in a very short time.  

Bullshit. Moose didn't get anybody. Local citizenry and the feds did. All Moose did was send his resources off chasing windmills for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#49]
If Mother Nature wanted NO back she would have taken it. She doesn't want it either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I assume this means somebody had to have been doing the taxes for the Ghost staff on payroll...  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top