Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:28:51 AM EDT
I know...teh ghey...but i need new sheets...anybody have 1000 count?

Teh Suxxor having to find california king sheets

w00t
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
plastic, waterproof
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
yummy
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Woodland camo set from sportsman guide @ $100.00 for the full set from the fitted sheet, sheet (both field gray), blanket (camo), and 4 pillow cases (2 camo, 2 field gray)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever was on sale at the local megalomart.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
"Do" is the missing word here
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
??? I'd have to ask my wife. She actually pays attention to crap like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Them jersy knit ones.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Plain, white, cotton. Cheep, comfortable and none of that girly print on 'em.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Never realized how tough it was until I bought my california king.

I have 1000 thread count sateen sheets I got at overstock.com...let's see if they still have them...

Well...golly gee-whiz....here dey are....

www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1172400

Pricey, but all cal. king sheets are.

Great in the summer, but if you keep your house cold in the winter like I do, you freeze your ass off at first.

Quoted:
I know...teh ghey...but i need new sheets...anybody have 1000 count?

Teh Suxxor having to find california king sheets

w00t

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Them jersy knit ones.

+1
The ladies like them more then the plain white cotton I used to use.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Silk or plastic depending on the occassion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I spend almost a third of my life there.  I use 400 TC egyptian cotton.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
amazon has some 1000's for $79

ooops
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

TXL

Here is a man who knows what he is talking about. I will bet dimes to donuts that these 400 TC Epgytian cotton sheets are finer than the 1000 TC sheets that have been mentioned above.

The quality of the cotton itself matters more than thread count. Get Epyptian.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, you don't really think about sheets until you buy a decent bed.  When I graduated from school I ditched my twin size bed (yes, I slept on a twin size bed up until 1997, age 25) and bought a Sealy Crown Royal queen size bed.  The depth of the mattress (15") made conventional sheets useless, so I had to go shopping.  

Now I use:

Summer:  330 ct. cotton sateen sheets, Charter House (Macy's house brand).  Good quality (very soft and smooth) and the prices are pretty good.  

Winter:  cotton flannel sheets.  Not sure where I got them, probably Macy's as well.

Good sheets, like the higher thread count sateen sheets, are worth the money.  If you shop around on fatwallet.com or other sites, you can find them for good prices.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#16]

what kind of bed sheets do you use?

Clean ones.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Flannel, year around.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's some made in china 1000 thread count sheets for $90 from samsclub.

www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-43701:-43704:-44672:-44710:-44715:-44741:869745&fid=1S11

I have them and they seem fine to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here's some made in china 1000 thread count sheets for $90 from samsclub.

www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-43701:-43704:-44672:-44710:-44715:-44741:869745&fid=1S11

I have them and they seem fine to me.

would get em if they were cal. king
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
You sheet on my bed, I'll kill you!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anything over about a 380 thread count is a scam. It just means that the manufacturer has used a plied yarn and woven it in along with the cotton.  They count all the strands on that yarn and include it in with the thread count.  That's why you get numbers over 380.  Anything over that's not any different...you're just paying the money for something that's not there.

300 TC Egyptian Cotton for me

Exactly.

Further to the point:

300 thread count, 400 thread count, 800 thread count, now even 1000 thread count... consumers are being bombarded by thread count numbers that are truly bewildering. Thread count is simply the number of threads per square inch of fabric. These consist of vertical threads (warp) and horizontal threads (weft) woven together. To really understand thread count, you need to understand 2 other important components: yarn size and ply. Yarn size refers to thickness of the yarns that are woven together to make fabric. A higher yarn size indicates a finer yarn. Finer yarns can only be made from high quality long staple cotton. Generally a yarn size range of 40 to 100 is what you will find quality sheets are made with. Yarn size relates to thread count because when the yarns are very fine, they are actually thinner and thus there will be more of them per square inch, producing a higher thread count product. The other component is ply - single ply vs. 2 ply. Single ply fabric is made from individual yarns, which are woven together. 2 ply fabric is made with yarns that are twisted together and then woven. 2 ply fabric allows weaving looms to be more efficient since it starts with yarns that are already twisted together in 2s, so whatever construction is then woven - the thread count will actually be double since each yarn is actually 2 yarns. For example, a single ply 300 thread count will have the same construction as a 2 ply 600 thread count. 2 ply sheets must be made with a very high yarn size, like 100s otherwise it will feel very thick and heavy.

To recap, when you're looking for high thread count bedding, look for the following information:

1. Is it single ply or 2 ply? If it is 2 ply that's fine, just make sure the product is made with a high yarn size otherwise it may feel thick and heavy.
  2. What is the yarn size? A higher yarn size is better since finer yarns produce a better quality fabric.
  3. What is the type of cotton? Premium cotton such as Egyptian or Pima cotton is very expensive but it will improve the feel of the fabric. For example, in a blind test a 340 thread count single ply made with 60s yarns Egyptian cotton felt comparable to a 400 thread count single ply made with 80s yarns long staple cotton.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]
White ones.  They could be bleached hamster fur for all I know.  Keeping track of that stuff is one of the wife's responsibilities.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anything over about a 380 thread count is a scam.  It just means that the manufacturer has used a plied yarn and woven it in along with the cotton.  They count all the strands on that yarn and include it in with the thread count.  That's why you get numbers over 380.  Anything over that's not any different...you're just paying the money for something that's not there.

I get the feeling she knows what she's talking about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
White ones.  They could be bleached hamster fur for all I know.  Keeping track of that stuff is one of the wife's responsibilities.  

That'd take a LOT of hamsters!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anything over about a 380 thread count is a scam.  It just means that the manufacturer has used a plied yarn and woven it in along with the cotton.  They count all the strands on that yarn and include it in with the thread count.  That's why you get numbers over 380.  Anything over that's not any different...you're just paying the money for something that's not there.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I hear she DOES spend alot of time in bed!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people do spend several hours a day in bed.

I have a set of those jersey knit ones, and a couple other sets of whatever inexpensive stuff that wally world sells.  Considering that I'm asleep most of the time while they are in use I'm not real picky about the exact material the sheets are made out of.  Extra sheets are handy so you can just change sheets and not have to rush getting the laundry done.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I recall reading here awhile back she went to school for textiles and design or something and runs a company that sells clothing, or something like that. Anyway, I understand thread count, at least when it comes to wool and linen, 18th century style, that is....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
unzipped sleeping bag laid flat on bed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I've TRIED "nicer" sheets, but they all feel too coarse to me. Granted, my sense of touch went totally whack about 7 years ago and even my (pretty soft) hair felt like I was running my hands through STRAW - but it's back to MY "normal" now, and I HAVE to have 60% cotton, 40% polyester - I know, I know.... I figured 100% cotton - 300+ count would be better - well, to ME it doesn't feel better, bugs the #$#@ out of me. I even figured EVENTUALLY they'd "break-in" NOPE! I'm VERY tactile... but 50-50 is NO GOOD, 70-30 also sucks. GOTTA be the 60-40. I was OKAY with the flannel this past winter... but once they are worn out - I doubt I'll get another set (my sis got them for me for a Christmas present). MAYBE, but I think I may need to "play" w/the thread count of the "blend" or something as it just didn't feel "right" to me somehow.

I DO think it's GETTING even better than "my" normal, however, as I USED to have VERY specific socks, MTA Pro ULTRAS - super thick socks, really soft.... but I have been experimenting some as they seem to not be available anymore and it hasn't really "bugged" me like other socks USED to (when I had to "dress up" and wear NICE (looking) socks etc...).

So who knows. MIGHT change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When she's not doing midnight photo shoots in the bathroom..

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

Here is a man who knows what he is talking about. I will bet dimes to donuts that these 400 TC Epgytian cotton sheets are finer than the 1000 TC sheets that have been mentioned above.

The quality of the cotton itself matters more than thread count. Get Epyptian.

Big +1, hard to beat!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I use flannel year round.
Funny thing is they're almost impossible to find in Florida so i get my Mom to send 'em down from Canadia.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
No idea.Woman's Dept.
Another vote for flannel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I use flannel year round.
Funny thing is they're almost impossible to find in Florida so i get my Mom to send 'em down from Canadia.

Have to ask! Do you have a canopy bed?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Go with egyptian cotton, and forget about thread count.

See the cotton in the US? Slang for it is texas cotton.  Its almost like little cotton balls.  Same as what was grown all over the South.  Egyptian cotton is more like a long tuft, the fibers are longer (something like 50% or more), so when you spin it into thread, you have less fibers to make one yard of thread, which means less breaks, which means it feels smoother.

People get caught up in the thread count numbers too much.  Just like a suit that is Super 120 wool isn't neccesarily better fabric than one that is Super 100.  In fact, some of the best wools used in the 1930s (the golden age of glamor and elegance) would be about Super 80 on the modern scale.  The Super number is just one factor in how good the wool is, but people get caught up and think a better number will make a suit more Superer.  

Or you could go with PVC

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top