Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:15 AM EDT
I poke on the side of my fingers. If I do it on the tip, they get too sore. Plus it hurts worse there. I'm a type 2 on meds. No insulin. I keep my sugars in the 5.9-6.4 range every 3 months with the HBA1C test. I have tried the arm and leg poking, but I wasn't able to get anough blood...

So, where do you poke and how often? (Keep your minds out of the gutter some of you!)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Side of the fingertips, but not near as often as I'm supposed to.

I'm not a good diabetic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
God, I feel for you poor bastards! I just could'nt imagine.

Have you checked your blood sugar today?

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

www.movieactors.com/characters/freezes1/Brimley3.jpeg

You trolling my threads tonite?  Don't make me report you to the mods. You KNOW how they have the "A" and the "Z" button right next to the ban button! (waiting for my IM red light to start beaming at me)

Go ahead..Give me a reason!

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.movieactors.com/characters/freezes1/Brimley3.jpeg

I absolutely hate it. I've never exactly had a rosy disposition, but I think it's made me more jaded in life. Yes, many people are worse off than I am, but that's hard to remember when I'm giving myself a shot and hit a nerve.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Side of the finger tips are best--the tip does hurt!  I'm type 1 and test at least 3 times a day, more if I am working out that day.  Yes, I do have scars from pricking my fingers...

The best part is injecting insulin and hitting a vein.  You get a nice little hematoma and a black/blue bruise 2-3 inches around.    On a week I have bad luck, I might have 3 or 4 of those on my abdomen.

Diabetes sucks....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Right side of my stomach looks like I got blasted with an auto-paintball gun.  Insulin makes me absofuckingloutely starving as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes I ease it in slowly to see if I get any reaction.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#9]
ring finger, left hand on side same place every time,,rarely any pain anymore,,nerve endings retract from constant irritations.
same reason new jewelry bugs you till you get used to it..
take 4 shots a day.
left thigh, right thigh left thigh , right thigh..pop a vein once in a while. move to another area(that hurts) for a few days...
word to non diabetics reading this,,
get tested, nothing to play with..
i was just feeling run down, depressed, tired alot,,pushed it of to the JOB wearing me out. and turning 50
january 05 physical blood sugar was over 500...fasting....
feeling off? get checked..
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I do the sides of my finger tips as well.  I"m a Type II.  I am trying to control this with diet and exercise so that I can get off the meds.  So far it is not working like I had planned.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually do the top of my ring finger or my left pinky.  I can set the depth alot more shallow and this prevents it from getting sore.  These 2 fingers draw blood the easiest, especially the pinky.

I have been told that I am a Type 1.5... I dont absorb enough sugar, and I don't make enough insulin.  I take 3 different meds to counter those effects.

douglasmorris is right.  I was just diagnosed last december, had an A1C of 11 and was running over 300 mg/dl fasting.  But with the meds and a change in diet, I have been a 5.7 the past 2 tests (about 6 months now).  I am 34, and weigh 180 lbs.... So it can hit anyone!

My biggest symptoms were being tired all of the time, and a constant need for water which in turn was causing me to pee every hour....

Now if the price of this bastard would come down!

Lasette Plus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top