Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
GoatBoy for NYC Mayor!!!!!

I (and I'm sure many other LEO's) agree with what you're saying...[beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, GoatBoy, but I disagree with your methods if not your intent.

Our problem isn't that our punishments aren't tough enough, it's that they come too late to make a difference.  If you have a puppy that messes on the floor, or eats a shoe, or tears up the carpet, do you speak to it sternly and lock it in the bathroom over and over until it reaches adulthood?  Then when it does it one more time, kill it?  No, you punish it effectively when it is a puppy so that it knows what it did, that it was wrong, and that doing it again will result in further unpleasant and possibly painful punishment.  

Pain is a sense given to us by nature to tell us that we've just screwed up.  

People who commit serious crimes don't just wake up one day and decide to be armed robbers, or murderers, or whatever.  Almost without exception they have LONG histories of crime starting from childhood.  You want to stop serious crime?  Figure out how to reach them as children.  Punish juvenile crime consistently and effectively, and I guarantee you that the level of serious crime in this country will fall.

Caning seem to me to be a pretty damned good idea.  But it is SO un-PC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It will never happen.  

Too many lawyers and demojackasses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
 I have to agree with Kbaker .
Punishment should be severe but it should be quick .
      Why is it that someone convicted of murder and sentenced to death doesn't receive his punishment till after sitting on  
 " death row " for ten years or more ?
Reinstate Public  Hangings on Mainstreet
for the whole town to see and make it within one year of the crime and then people will take notice .
 Severe ? yes . but what is the crime if not severe ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't mean to sound cold or ruthless? How would you word it if you did? [:d]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The so called "civilized" society we live in does not allow for eye for eye/tooth for tooth type of justice...add a degree of corruption, and you have a nice "cushy" mix of freedom for the criminal element....what really sucks, is the amount of "pitty"...."sorry"...."victim of a bad society"...."rehabilitation"....type of mindset that exists out there, that only helps to fuel the criminal mind further.....certain politicians will jump this bandwagon, to boost thier own personal goal (as THEY seeit) and further support the "man doin` the time" and the attitude of the inmate becomes MORE criminal, making the false idea of rehab nothing more than another way to waste money on what should be dealt with in a more stringent manner. There is also a Prisoners Legal Service, at least in n.y., and they are there to make sure the inmate is treated with RESPECT......NOW....how is the law enforcement community as a whole supposed to overcome these obstacles, when too many times, the sentence does not fit the crime to begin with, and as soon as the inmate hits the street, he`s going right back to his way, cause that`s the life he knows!....this is only PART of the story, but a good insight on some of what america is today.....freedom?.....YOU BETCHA`......[shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gotta go with KBaker on this one.  I really don't think thugs/rapists/molester are thinking about punishment when they commit their crimes.  Even if the punishment was death by hot poker in the eye done at high noon in town square, these brainiacs assume they are not gonna get caught, or don't really care.  Some don't really have all that much to live for, so figure what the heck.  The only benifit to severe punishment is that the criminals that get caught won't be around to violate somebody else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Boy GoatBoy who put a burr under your saddle?

Not that I have a problem with it, I agree with you, I'm just not used to seeing you express yourself like you have of late.

Let it out, don't hold it in.

I enjoy reading people letting off steam, that way when I feel the need to I don't mind venting.

People should be held accountable for their actions. PERIOD!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
A $1.00 bullet???? Why shoot 'em with a .50?  Last time I checked you could get a milsurp .223 for $0.10 in bulk!  Jeez, talk about overkill! [B)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
...tonight, on pay-perview, Junkyard SaltGun Justice Wars !!!

seriously, i think both sides of the issue come into play. early in life, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to ensure not only the safety and well being of the child, but the guiding of the child's growth into an adult.

but parents are too (insert excuse here) to properly carry out their duties. and very often, the govt. steps in to take over their responsibilities in various forms.

the politicos have it in their best interests to continue a system which rewards criminals with victim status. they also have a place for all of us...its called DEPENDENCE.

the more responsibility the govt. can take from us, the bigger and more necessary the govt. becomes for us. sure, an eye for an eye will have a certain shock value, but if people are starving, the law of the land isn't worth squat...

...i am in no way supporting criminal act(s) and i agree that everyone as an adult is responsible for their own actions, but i think a great way to reduce crime is to
1) reduce govt. (50% of crime right there!)
2) increase the proper raising of the young'uns
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It will never happen.  

Too many lawyers and demojackasses.
View Quote

Hey!  I resemble that comment!

Goatboy,

Don't believe the hype.  Year to year, we enjoy about a 96-98% convtiction rate in this country.  That's pretty damn good.  The OJ's of the world are anomolies.  People go to jail every day for stupid shit, even with representation.  Every once in a while, there's a travesty, but it's not the norm.  When it comes to advantages in the legal system, it's all on the prosectutors' side of the isle, especially in federal court.  

Due process and all of the protections found in the Constitution, like the 4th, are there to protect us as a whole against the type of "governing" that goes on in other countries where abuse and subjective law enforcement [i]are[/i] the norm.

The problem, as I see it, is not enough prevention and individual self reliance.  Look at the states that enact CCW laws, their crime rates plumet.  Remember the Tallahassee rape case years ago?  What about the town in Georgia that required gun ownership by households and had something like an 85% drop in burglaries.  It all points to a real correlation between armed citizens and reduced crime.

My .02 cents.

PS:  The China example is bad.  Would you trade "security" for freedom?  Besides, who has time to commit a crime when you're getting raped by your own government.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the Chinese have a pretty cool way of cunducting business - after you're executed they send a bill for the ammo and the burial cost to your next of kin.

I also like the Japanese prisons where the prisoners are not allowed to talk to anyone - not guards, not other inmates. You are basically never allowed to socialize during your prison stay.

But I also think they said it pretty good when they said "Don't tell me the death penalty will work to deterr drug cartels, they live under a constant death threat from their own organizations, and their executions are a quit a bit nastier than ours."
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Goatboy,

Your feeling, while normal, won't really deter crime.

As someone said before (quite well I might add) punishment comes too late to change someones actions.

I'll bet 99.9% of criminals didn't think they'd get caught. So what do they care what the punishment is?

I share your frustration, but it's not the total answer.

Did you know in midevil times there would be public hangings and burning of criminals, and cutpurses would decend on the crowds to pick pockets from the distracted audience..

Sorry,
Francis
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Heres another one for you.
Capitol Punishment should be mandatory in every State Period.....  [sniper]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of the people that believe in the criminal's rights have not had a family member murdered by one. Two years ago my father in law was killed by his next door neighbor who was stealing his money from checks that he had stolen. This fine upstanding member of society was a convicted felon, 9 to be exact. Can anyone tell me why this p.o.s. was still on the street? He and his wife had planned the murder shortly after they began writing the checks. He told his wife not to worry because my father in law would not live to file charges. One bright and cold day in December the murderer asked my father in law, an avid shooter, to go shooting with him. Keep in mind my father in law had no reason to fear this man. As a matter of fact my father in law had the American Legion pay for Thanksgiving dinner for the killer and his family as they did not have the money for one. Once alone, the killer shot my father in law point blank range in the face and stood over him unil he stopped moving. He then buried him in an eighteen inch deep grave.

It would be four months before the body was found and my then pregnent wife could saay goodbye to her father forever. The state of Indiana found the killer guilty and gave him 65 years for pre-meditated murder. So don't tell me about crime and punishment untill you walk in my shoes a bit.

I'm sorry this went a bit long, but as a former LEO myself I say it's time we worry about the victims and to Hell with the criminals.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#25]
GB I agree 100%. I know if an asshole stole something and got his grubby paw chopped off then he wouldn't steal anymore shit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
the only punishment that works the first time is exicution and that isnt popular these days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top