Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 10:48:13 PM EDT
My 3 year old was having trouble breathing.  He has had a cold or allergies for a few days.  Been coughing a bit, no big deal.  When we were playing after I got home from work, I noticed he was getting winded easily.  When I was putting him to bed I noticed he seemed to be struggling to breathe.  I called the on-call nurse through my insurance company, and they ran me thru some questions.  They suggested I take him to the emergency room because I could could easily count 3 of his ribs when he was breathing.  

They did a chest x-ray to check to see if he has pneumonia.  It came back negative, which doesn't guarantee there is no problem.  

They gave him treatment as if he was having an asthma attack.  Two breathing treatments and some steroids.  He is doing better.  They gave me some inhaler stuff to take home and a prescription for more steroids.

Big relief that my little man seems to be OK.  He is a little trooper.  We'll be going to see his pediatrician tomorrow.  

<minor rant> Why does this stuff always happen after the doctor's office is closed? </minor rant>
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
hope the little guy is gonna be ok, You will be in my prayers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry to hear that.
I was hoping this would be a thread containing x-ray pics of foriegn objects stuck in body orafices.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:
sorry to hear that.
I was hoping this would be a thread containing x-ray pics of foriegn objects stuck in body orafices.
www.cynsa.com/butt/april/smgunxray.jpg
www.well.com/www/cynsa/graphics/liveammo.jpg

Idiot.

Sorry to hear about your son, birdbarian.

You're right, it seems that kids always take a turn for the worse, as soon as the doctors office closes.

Hope he gets better soon!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sorry to hear that.

Hey retard, do us all a big favor and go play in a street during rush hour traffic.

birdbarian, hope your son gets better real soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazing how we could really give two craps what happens to us... we shrug it off... (MOST of the time) but when it comes to our kids... FORGET IT... ALL BETS ARE OFF... DOCTOR NOW!!!

Man I feel for ya... I hope the little guy gets better soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They suggested I take him to the emergency room because I could could easily count 3 of his ribs when he was breathing.  

Accessory muscle usage, eh? Was his neck/collarbone area all tensed up too?

That's some major suckage, man. Oh well..   it sounds like tomorrow is ice cream day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Take him to a doc ASAP.
It sounds just like asthma.
My brother has asthma.
He wishes he never had it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Everybody, thanks for the kind words and prayers.  They have worked.  

We took him to his Doctor today.  She said it is croup and most likely not asthma or pneumonia.  He's on 4 days of orapred and doing some breathing treatments to keep his airways open.  He is crashed right now, and his breathing sounds normal.  Thank God for modern medicine.  I'm glad I wasn't a parent 50+ years ago.  

He was a real trooper last night.  I couldn't be prouder of how brave he was at the hospital.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like something my wife came down with a few weeks ago.  Costrocondritis, or ever how you spell it.  Basically, her lungs were fine, but the tissue around her sternum and chest cavity were inflamed and caused quite a bit of pain when she breathed.  

She was having so much trouble breathing, I wound up taking her to the ER at 2:30am.  

Hope your kid gets better soon!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope he will be fine. It is always scary.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad your insurance nurse was on top of things and you were able to get your son treated.  Its the laws of parenting that on week ends, after hours and on holidays is when kids consistantly get ill.  It never fails.  Oh and family vacation times.

Give your little one a hug for arfcom auntie Patty.  

Patty
PS I would for go any milk products until the lungs clear
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny that you post this thread, my son has gone thru this since he was a baby (spent a weeks in the hospital at less than a year old) and my wife today has taken him to the allergist only  to have him cleared of all allergies..but to say that his breathing is restricted.  

He did not say specifically asthma but he did change his inhalers.  He likes sports but needs some help running sometimes.  He had his tonsils out this summer and has been a real trooper for a 10 year old.  The doctor seems to think its his sinuses and when he gets a cold it really messes him up.  He has had bronchitis off and on and now this so we get really worried on his sleeping at nite.

Hopefully your little guy will be simpler to diagnose and they can get him fixed up right away.
I hope he doesn't have asthma but from what they tell me...its growing in occurance.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
<minor rant> Why does this stuff always happen after the doctor's office is closed? </minor rant>

I hear ya, BirdBrain!  Glad your little man is OK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top