Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 8:55:57 PM EDT
Looking for a 4 wheeler of my own.  Tired of riding bitch and my ass killing me afterwards.  What are some good models and what should I look for when buying one?  I just want a good one for out in the woods hunting.  I don't care about winning any speed contests, rock climbing, super bad mudding, or anything like that.  Just something to get the job done.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I look for the name "Yamaha" on the side
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I look for the name "Yamaha" on the side

Why's that? Got alot of parts laying around and the need to work on stuff?

Seriously, look for dependability first - fixing problematic quads is no fun. Then, look for features that meet your needs. Do you want IRS, solid axle, belt or shaft drive, 2/4 wheel, automatic tranny, air or liquid cooled, big power or small and maneuverable, big rack space or light and fast.....etc. Will you work with it, or ride trails?

Stick with the big-4 companies and don't deviate. Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki.

Some will tell you Artic Crap & Plodaris are worth looking at, but I've seen so many guys nickle and dimed with bad quads from those companies I wouldn't risk it for the world.

I chose Honda, fwiw....and I'm VERY glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
No doubt; you cannot go wrong with a Honda.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Honda or yamaha   Suzuki and kawi are Ok
sadly stay away from Polaris
Also DO NOT BY SOME CHINESE POS that some guy is selling at his corner gas station
They are gonna run the good stuff off the market and good luck getting parts for in 2 not to mention
that is kinda a sore spot with me i am afraid it is gonna dry up the ATV market pulling people away from the good stuff and cause the big  4 to limit their lines . They have already just about killed the kids ATV market and new China and Taiwan are moving into full size stuff  it may be half the price but it is absoulte crap
I have been at it since 1980 and i still have my1970 Honda  ATC 90 still runs like a top too bad baloon tires for it are like hens teeth
RIDE RED!!!

THINGS TO LOOK AT on a used ATV
if 4wd CV joints and the rubber covers
all welds on the frame
bearings in the rear swing arm where it attaches to the frame ( it should not move or be loose any when you wiggle the bike side to side)
bent or loose front A arms
those are the places you will see damage if has really been beat
don't worry alot about plastic unless it is totally destroyed  or a little bit of rubbed off frame paint (as long as underneath frame,motor ,a arms ,etc looks good ) i have seen very well used machines that are mechanicly great
and seen beat dogs that looked like new mainly because it spent its whole  life being jumped over stuff  in the backyard constanly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top