Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
I was just looking through the new Cabelas catalogue, and they had several different kinds of night vision.  What are your experiences with it?  They have generation 1 night vision for $500-$600. The Generation 4 is around $5k.

Is the generation 4 worth the extra money? I'm sure it depends on what you want to do with it. My primary purpose for wanting night vision is for protection of my family if the lights go out. I may try to shoot a few coyotes with it, also. I am looking for the best value for my money and I would rather not drop $5k if it can be avoided.

Are the generation 1 night scopes from ATN worth a damn? What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a NVD thread tacked at the top of the AR15: Optics and Sights forum. You should ask there for better results.

In my experience, NVD's really become practical when you are buying early Gen3 and up equipment. A used PVS7 with a 51lpmm tube is about as affordable as a new russian goggle (a good one), but blows it away performance wise and ergonomically. Gen 3 tube life is just in a different league to Russian stuff.. Another thing to consider is that Gen3 US NVD's are all electronically protected to keep you from burning out the tube.

Where can you go to get a Russian NVD repaired?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
well, I happily upgraded to a current PVS7D this year-but $7-8,000 is a little steep to have slightly better stereoscopic vision than a PVS7 provides.

Now if I were a heli pilot they'd make sense, but for scooting around in the woods AN/AVS6's don't make as much sense.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a russian Gen1 tube I bought at a Pawn Shop for 80 bucks.

It works great with an IR source.....and kinda works without.

It all depends on what you want the NV for.    If you plan to take it out and use it "whenever" I say go for a cheap Tube.

If you plan on making it a "Tactical Thing", I say drop dime on the best Tube that money can buy.

That said, I plan to start saving up for a nice NV tube  GenIII will work for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#5]
It's all relative..

I bought my first my first NVD in 1994, a russian dual tube that really wasn't much more than a conversation piece. IIRC, I spent $400 on it but they are $600-$700 now for the exact same model. The goggles were horrible. They were heavy and painful to wear, had FLAT SPOTS on the lenses, and would have been spotty at best for picking out a man in full moonlight at 100 yards in open terrain. I sold them 8 years later with about an hour on the tube.

Fast forward to 2004 and I found a 51lpmm pair of PVS7's here on the EE for $1400. The tube was made in 1995. Holy smokes what a difference. I'd still have them today if I hadn't come across a smoking deal for a Pinnacle-tubed PVS7D on Ebay.

You can get a reasonably workable Rusian goggle like the D121 for $1200, but for a few hundred more you can get a goggle that actually works and is supportable for the next 20 years.

It's not a snobbery thing, buy the best you can-but be advised that NVD's become practical and worth paying for when you are buying a mid-90's and up unit.

Learn from me: Buy cheap, buy twice.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my 7B NVGs that are issued.

Great stuff to have sitting on my helmet at night as a gunner. Flip em up and down as you scan - also helps pick out objects next to road that shouldn't be there.

John
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you issued the Spot/Flood lens assembly? I have found it makes it a lot easier to check distant perimiters, might make things easier when looking for IED's and IR light discipline is not an issue.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. A lot of the technical talk is a little over my head.

It is pretty obvious that I need to do a little more homework before making a purchase.  It is doubtful that I will purchase NV off of ebay or in a pawn shop, so any model-specific reccomendations for night vision scopes that you have are much appreciated. If you have any links to websites, that would be helpful.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what you can spend and go from there

Gen 1 is, well, it's Gen 1.

Gen 2 is sooo much better than Gen 1,  it's not funny.

Gen 3 is better than 2 but it's not as big of a leap as 2 is over 1.

On top of all of that, you have the different quality tubes to deal with..  Ask around and read some posts.  I think you have a good idea with not buying a used one.  You just don't know if somebody has harmed it or it's used up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Figure out what you can spend and go from there

Gen 1 is, well, it's Gen 1.

Gen 2 is sooo much better than Gen 1,  it's not funny.

Gen 3 is better than 2 but it's not as big of a leap as 2 is over 1.

On top of all of that, you have the different quality tubes to deal with..  Ask around and read some posts.  I think you have a good idea with not buying a used one.  You just don't know if somebody has harmed it or it's used up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward Generation 2 or higher. My desired max budget is around $2,000, but I would rather not spend that much if it is not neccessary.

However, if I do drop $2k on a decent NV scope, I want to be able to see clearly enough to see a thug hiding behind the bushes, or be able to determine the differece between a coyote and the neighbors poodle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
You asked about ATN, I bought one of the GEN 1 NV, I sent it back, It was not nearly as good as I was hoping for.  In my opinion, GEN 1 not worth it, better off saving for 2+.  I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward Generation 2 or higher. My desired max budget is around $2,000, but I would rather not spend that much if it is not neccessary.

However, if I do drop $2k on a decent NV scope, I want to be able to see clearly enough to see a thug hiding behind the bushes, or be able to determine the differece between a coyote and the neighbors poodle.

Dude, $2,000 will get you a great pair of PVS7's, or a PVS4 scope with about $600 left over. Even $1500 would get a good pair of -7's... You just hav to look around and it'll take a few weeks. They pop up around here often but are usually newer models with a 'newer' pricetag. Don't overlook Ebay, that's the #1 place to get NVD's for a good price. I saved over $2500 on my goggles, so keep that in mind.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
man, hit the ee!!! there's always guys there selling gen 3/4 pvs-7's and 14's for $2-3k!

just make sure you get dated tubes and ask every damn question you can think of so you don't end up buying a pig in a poke...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]
You can always buy floodlights for your property. They're pretty cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
wow, I've never actually used 7B's  plenty of 7D's

I preffer 14's though.  just don't like havin both eyes covered, and if you leave 14's on your non shooting eye than the night vision in your shooting eye won't be destroyed when you enter a lighted room. just flip' em and clear.

had 7D's all through Iraq and never really liked them all that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top