Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 6:58:24 PM EDT

Another article that shocks me! A liberal rag that is making sense.

www.detnews.com/2005/editorial/0509/18/A17-318167.htm

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Katrina chaos boosts case for 2nd Amendment

By Nolan Finley / The Detroit News

As New Orleans flooded and whatever civil society the city could lay claim to disintegrated, those left behind needed two things: a powerful will to survive and a gun.

Hurricane Katrina might end up being the best friend the Second Amendment ever had.

Gun dealers across the country are reporting increased sales. People who saw on television what happens when government can't deliver on the promise of protecting its citizens are buying firearms as an insurance policy against anarchy.

That assurance of government-provided security has convinced individual Americans to gradually trade in their unrestrained constitutional right to bear arms.

But for days, there was no law in New Orleans and no government to speak of. All rules were off.

While the politically correct version of what happened is that desperate people looted stores for food and water, that's only part of the story. Bands of armed hoodlums roamed the city, smashing their way into businesses and homes, carting off jewelry, liquor, televisions and other goods that had nothing to do with survival.

People were murdered, raped, stripped of their meager provisions.

Those with the best chance of surviving were the ones who had shotguns, rifles and pistols stashed away in closets and drawers.

Homeowner John Carolan ran off a mob of young men armed with knives and machetes and intent on stealing his generator by firing a few rounds from a .357 Magnum over their heads. "They scattered," he told reporters.

After looters poured into a nursing home and carted off the food, water and medicine, administrator Peggy Hoffman told the Associated Press, "we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

Lots of Americans are thinking about shooting lessons today.

The tiresome question, "Why does anyone need a gun?" now has its answer.

Order can deteriorate in this country to the point where nothing stands between the law-abiding citizen and the marauding mob except blue steel. It happened in New Orleans. It can happen anywhere else in America at anytime.

It will be harder now for the anti-gun lobby to convince Americans to dismantle even more of the Second Amendment.

Of course, they'll try to spin this to say that were there no guns to begin with, the looters wouldn't have been armed and dangerous. But thieves, murderers and the rest of the rabble have always been more ingenious at procuring weapons than law-abiding citizens.

No amount of gun control laws will keep the dark side of this society from arming itself for evil purposes.

To twist the old bumper sticker, Americans will give up their guns when they can be certain all the guns have been pried out of the cold, dead fingers of all the bad guys.

Until then, they'll prefer to keep a little heat in the house.

Nolan Finley is editorial page editor of The News. Reach him at (313) 222-2064 or at nfinley@ detnews.com. Watch Nolan Finley on "Am I Right," 8:30 p.m. Fridays on Detroit Public Television, Ch. 56.

Send this guy a "Way to tell the truth!" letter. Finally, a reporter that is making sense and is telling the truth for once.

Hey FINESWINE! ...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
AMEN
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
But you're more likely to have your gun taken from you and used against you.

Right?  That's what we've been told all this time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
e-mail sent
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't read the Detroit news that often, but Nolan Finley is one of their better columnists IMO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
WoW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, no shit! Anyone with a half a brain knew this long before Katrina. It's sad some people have to see rape, murder, and looting before they understand the importance of the 2nd Amendment!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
"Your gun will be taken away and used against you."

I was told this by a lady at church.

I said, "OK, let's try a little experiment."  I held my hand, finger pointed, as if aiming a pistol.

I told her, "Take me gun."  She just began to move her hand, I said loudly, "BANG!!!"  People heard me and wondering what was going on gathered around.

I explained the experiment.

"OK, let's try again, go for it."  As soon as she moved, "BANG!!!"

"Let's try again," I said.  She had not even moved, "BANG!!!" I said sharply.

She said, "That's not fair, I wasn't even ready."

I said, "Good.  So much for 'they'll take it away and use it against you.' huh?"
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#9]
To twist the old bumper sticker, Americans will give up their guns when they can be certain all the guns have been pried out of the cold, dead fingers of all the bad guys.

I dont agree with that though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Remember, alot of people lump .gov in with the bad guys.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If that dont beat all!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Seeing as this article is coming from Detroit, this dude should know that the police can't protect you all the time. It's DETROIT after all!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan94

The quote actually is impossible so I dont know why I would disagree with it.  I am just saying if it were at all possible I would still exercise my 2nd amendment right
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, the truth...  Fantastic
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for that Reporter
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan94

The quote actually is impossible so I dont know why I would disagree with it.  I am just saying if it were at all possible I would still exercise my 2nd amendment right

My point was that since any .gov (Local, State, or Federal) can at any given moment become the bad guy. that scenario will never happen (us giving up our guns).  Anyway, I would still "exercise my 2nd amendment right" as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It get's better guys! Wait until the Federal Court has to hear the case brought against NO by the NRA and SAF! This is what I sad in another thread... It might force the hand of the USSC to have to rule on individual or collective rights of the "people"..Fat lady is warming up her windpipes!

This is going to get good!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, well you can never be certain that all the guns have been taken from the bad guys now, can ya?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Your gun will be taken away and used against you."

I was told this by a lady at church.

I said, "OK, let's try a little experiment."  I held my hand, finger pointed, as if aiming a pistol.

I told her, "Take me gun."  She just began to move her hand, I said loudly, "BANG!!!"  People heard me and wondering what was going on gathered around.

I explained the experiment.

"OK, let's try again, go for it."  As soon as she moved, "BANG!!!"

"Let's try again," I said.  She had not even moved, "BANG!!!" I said sharply.

She said, "That's not fair, I wasn't even ready."

I said, "Good.  So much for 'they'll take it away and

use it against you.' huh?"

Show her this. It happened where I live.

1980-JUN: church killing in Daingerfield, TX:
Alvin Lee King, was an apparently mentally unstable individual who was an Atheist, held a PhD in psychology, and appeared to be prone to committing criminal acts. In 1996, he accidentally killed his father with a shotgun. One week before going to trial on a charge of allegedly molesting his daughter, he tied his wife to the kitchen table, dressed in a military uniform, picked up rifles and pistols, went to the First Baptist Church, entered the church, and yelled "This is war." Within ten seconds, he had killed five parishioners (one child of 7, three men and one woman). 12 were wounded (some sources say 10 or 11). Some men in the congregation pushed King out of the sanctuary; some died while doing this. King ran to a fire station and shot himself in the head. This first attempt at suicide was unsuccessful. He was arrested. Two years later, he hung himself in jail. He never went to trial. 5,6,7

In an eerily strange coincidence, some young people at the church had organized a demonstration a few weeks before the tragedy. They dressed in military clothing and carried rifles into the church, pretending to be communists who were there to outlaw Christianity. They took people captive, removed them from the room and pretended to shoot them. When King broke into the service, some of the parishioners thought that the youth play was being repeated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
And so King Arthur and his knights did tag the thread.

And there was much rejoicing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top