Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 4:23:11 PM EDT
I need to take some firearms training. I basicially taught myself to shoot, and the only formal training that I had was when I went for my MI CPL. So, I've basically decided that I AM going to take a few courses. Here's the question though: should I take a rifle or pistol course? I shoot rifle far more often, and I use a rifle for home defense. However, I'm in th process of getting my TX CHL and I'll be depending on a pistol whenever I'm not at home. Any opinions? I'm leaning towards handgun, since it is my belief that all handguns are underpowered and it is therefore more important to be able to use one most effectively.

Also, is it better to take progressive classes in one discipline, or to take basic classes in multiple disciplines? For example, say taking pistol 1, pistol 2 and pistol 3 classes vs. taking a pistol 1 and carbine 1 class.

Any opinions?

ETA - I'm not necessarily looking to become a "better shot", I'm hoping to learn tactics for effectively employing a firearm in a life and death situation. This is the focus of most training, is it not?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I need to take some firearms training.

Join the Marines?    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Join the Marines?    

No can do. I have a medical separation from the Navy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad taught me everything he knows about firearms.

However I plan on taking some extra classes as well :-)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a pistol class first, then a carbine class.  This is what most of the schools recommend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a pistol class first.  It will be the foundation on which all other training is based and it is also harder for most people to master the pistol.

There are several good schools in Texas as well as many traveling instructors who are visiting your state soon.  Make training a priority.  Right now you don’t know what you don’t know.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Protac Global (they're in TX) and Valhalla (CO) for my tactical stuff

I got professional Sporting Clays coaching when I was younger and competing actively.

Everything else I learned from my dad. He shot competitively in the Army (Not the US).
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Arfcom!

Seriously, family members.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of my training is selftaugh, but I have had alot of coaching from the old guys in my CMP club and the Marines I have shot with at the Planet Matches.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Join the Marines?    

Oorahh!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Books and Videos, then a whole lotta practice

course I would eventually like to take a course when I could afford it.

It would be even better if I could take a tactical rifle and pistol course that is decent and not some toned down civilan one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top