User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
I'm posting this question for a friend of mine

What is better for pig hunting? The chioce is between:

Smith & Wesson’s .460 XVR Magnum Revolver

Smith & Wesson’s .500 Magnum Revolver

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Does he already have those calibers to chose from?

If not, why spend all that money on a bastard caliber when a .44 will do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
No he does not have anything yet. He just got hos pistol permit. He also doesn't think a 44 would be enough...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
One shot-one kill is much preferable, especially close in, and I wonder -- why the .223 on the poll?

I'm not saying it can't be done with a .223, but how many follow-up shots does he want to take with a long gun, especially at short range & maybe in brush/trees? Velocity yes, mass no on that one

Longer distances, I'd go .270 or better and inward, the .44 should be OK like WildBoar says.  Range practice would be a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One shot-one kill is much preferable, especially close in, and I wonder -- why the .223 on the poll?

I'm not saying it can't be done with a .223, but how many follow-up shots does he want to take with a long gun, especially at short range & maybe in brush/trees? Velocity yes, mass no on that one

Longer distances, I'd go .270 or better and inward, the .44 should be OK like WildBoar says.  Range practice would be a lot cheaper.

The AR choice was actually a joke but it looks like some people actually chose that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
These are the firearms I would choose for large pig territory:

Semi-Auto .308 (M1A bush or AR-10 carbine)

or

Lever-Action 45-70 (Marlin Guide Gun )

or

12ga with slugs

Handguns (for back-up ONLY):

Glock 20

or

S&W 629 (.44 magnum)

Regardless what your friend may think, the .44 with the right load is more than sufficient for hogs.  Many many hogs have been taken with the .44 magnum.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR choice was actually a joke but it looks like some people actually chose that.

My uncle has killed plenty of hogs with an AR15.

It all boils down to shot placement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]

+1
 I have killed many pigs with a .223.......from a distance.    How close is your buddy going to hunt?  Up close I would go with the 500.  .460, .223 from farther away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
44 mag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I forget who it was but someone posted pics of a couple of boars he took down with a .223 and from what I saw he did the job just fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't have to get fancy for hogs. The good old 30-30 will do just fine. Even the old, obsolete numbers like the .25 Remington will kill a hog.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
.45-70 with black powder loads.  Kill it, burn it, bring barbeque sauce and a fork.  Maybe a napkin.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Some hog hunts in South Carolina are handgun only.

Either revolver caliber posted should do the job.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Any of those choices will work just fine, but I would give the nod to the AR15 ONLY due to the fact that it greatly extends the range at which the AVERAGE hunter can hit with certain accuracy.

A .223 Rem launching 64gn Rem Power Points, or 60gn Nosler Partitions, will 'bring home the bacon' even if it should come in a 300lb package out to 200 yards as long as the hunter places the shot in the heart/lung area, which on a hog is pretty low in the rib cage.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how many people on this site who voted AR15 actually hunt hog on a regular basis.

ETA: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=250012

So this doesn't have to be rehashed AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wonder how many people on this site who voted AR15 actually hunt hog on a regular basis.

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The .223 isn't legal to hunt big game in some states.  Check your regulations before going afield.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ETA: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=250012

So this doesn't have to be rehashed AGAIN.

Almost nobody

Ohh and I just noticed the name, youve been to telluride havent you
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
i think you can use donuts as bait for the pigs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I killed hogs with 50 cal BP, AR15 64grPP, 308,300whisper.They all dropped dead in their tracks because I always shot for the head/neck area. Shoot a hog in the chest and you will be tracking a wounded hog. If I can't get the shot of my choice the hog lives for another day. Shot area is more important than cal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can also kill a bear with a 22 Short, it's all about shot placement.

A good 45-70 would do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because we have some congenital idiots that think that the .223 is the optimum cartridge for every possible use.  Not saying it can't be used, but there are usually a lot better choices for a lot of applications.  My 1903A1 can do a hell of a lot of things better than my AR.  In fact with few exceptions , it's probably better for almost anything I might do with a rifle.  (and watch the reactions from the guys that didn't bother to completely read the last sentence for comprehension.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You don't have to get fancy for hogs. The good old 30-30 will do just fine. Even the old, obsolete numbers like the .25 Remington will kill a hog.

+1

as a teenager I killed plenty of hogs in the orange groves with a 30-30
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]
30-30 or .44Mag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can also kill a bear with a 22 Short, it's all about shot placement.

A good 45-70 would do the trick.

Well, you notice I did not have an AR as one of my choices.

My point was that a bad shot with a .300 Win. is not going to put a hog down any faster than a bad shot from a .223.

A lot of idiot, "I shoot my deer rifle 5 times every 3 years at a beer can to check the zero" deer hunters don't seem to be able to grasp that concept.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
 I have killed many pigs with a .223.......from a distance.    How close is your buddy going to hunt?  Up close I would go with the 500.  .460, .223 from farther away.

up close from what I understand
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#26]

What is better for pig hunting?

AK

'nuff said
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I suck (bad) shooting pistols.

I am above average at rifles.  

Shot placement wins it for me, so I voted AR15.

However I would rather have an 8x57 with Nosler 200 grn Partitions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#28]
45/70 works everytime.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I also vote for the AK.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Blackhawk 45Colt with hard cast bullets!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
These are the firearms I would choose for large pig territory:

Semi-Auto .308 (M1A bush or AR-10 carbine)

or

Lever-Action 45-70 (Marlin Guide Gun )

or

12ga with slugs

Handguns (for back-up ONLY):

Glock 20

or

S&W 629 (.44 magnum)

Regardless what your friend may think, the .44 with the right load is more than sufficient for hogs.  Many many hogs have been taken with the .44 magnum.

excellent suggestions, maybe a .358 Winchester & .350 RemMag  too

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Almost any rifle round can be used for pig hunting.  The key is bullet selection and placement.  I do not consider an AR15 with M193 to be ideal, specifically because performance is not consistent.  While one or two rounds might exhibit the classic fragmentation, that ONE shot you get on the first attempt might not.  I would rather risk that one golden shot to a premium bullet, designed to expand and NOT fragment but to expand in controlled fashion over a wide range of impact velocities and then penetrate deeply.

That being said, the Winchester PP 64 grain is one of the better options.  I load the new Swift 75 grain bullets because of the impressive BC and assured performance.  This works fine in deer-sized game, penetrating at least 20" which is adequate on table-fare pig.

With either pistol round, you will have more than enough, provided you put the bullet where it counts the first time.  Sure, you MIGHT get a chance at a second or third shot but you are taking chances of losing game if you cannot.

My dad has gotten sloppy in the past 10 years with his hunting, namely using unproven ammo.  He lost a deer a few years ago from such a bad shot.  It wasn't his skill as a shooter but rather the ammo he threw together.  The bullets were barely going 2100 FPS instead of 2700 due to a slow lot of propellent.  I worked these up again, using the same lot of propellent but increasing the load some 15% and with the correct velocity, accuracy returned and one shot killing power was regained.

Sure, he was apprehensive using my "magnumized" load but it is safe (and within modern data in a modern rifle) and most importantly, accurate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

as a teenager I killed plenty of hogs in the orange groves with a 30-30

Sheet! ... when I was a teen....we used to take them out with a well placed shot from a .22LR down here on SoFlo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I have taken 11 Texas hogs over the years.....all with my Marlin .45-70. Many in the group that I hunt with use AR-15's and have been successfull taking hogs with no problems.

This is a pic of the last bad boy that got in my sights...Range was 108 yards and the bullet went directly behind the left ear......needless to say, he dropped like a sack of hammers:

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#35]
My Ruger SS .44mag Super Redhawk 7.5" barrel and a 4x scope is perfect for tracking situations, my SKS for long shots works well too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I voted for the .460 XVR, only because I just bought one today.

Going cougar hunting this weekend with it, hope to see what she can do
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I've found that the best thing for pig hunting is Jack Daniels.  For ME, not her.  They can be tracked at most any local wateringhole.  Best time to get them is just before midnight, Situate yourself between the bar and the ladies room.  Then buy a couple of rounds (non-berdin primed) and do a reload or two.  Next thing ya know, you'll bag your hog and be toating it home.... unless your married in which case field undressing is your best bet for a successful hunt.

you guys are talking about bars, right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess all AR-15s shoot little wussy 5.56 bullets huh?  Well I voted for the AR myself because of several reasons. I have been on many kinds of hunts with many different guns and I find I do better with one that I feel comfortable with.  Mainly an AR.  I have a Rem 700 that I really like too. It's a 270 and whilst I haven't shot at any hogs with it yet I have taken 3 deer with it.  I mainly hunt small game though.   Most states consider hogs to be a small game animal as well.  So caliber restrictions may vary and that is my point about the 'wussy' remark.  You can buy all sorts of different caliber uppers for an AR and many will make suitable hog killin platforms.  My next purchase for example will bring a 50 Beowulf into my home and I think it would be more than plenty to take out porky pig with.  It will be a system I have had extensive training and practice with and I am comfortable with.  But then I don't feel undergunned with my standard AR config either.  In the past I have actually gone hog hunting with an SKS!

My point is to each his own.  AR's can be had in many EXCELLENT hog killer calibers.  I wouldn't necissarily suggest that everyone take a 5.56 hog hunting, but I think some folks won't have a problem with it.  But I also wouldn't think twice about carrying a 44mag either.  A buddy of mine had an old ruger rifle that fired 44 mag and that thing was sweet.  He wouldn't part with it though.

Maybe an AR15 with a colt anaconda back up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh yeah....forgot to add....second best method of hog hunting which is quite common in south Alabama and seems to work great almost every time...FRONT BUMPER of a speeding car!!!

Results do vary though and sometimes the meat is ruined
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Not to hijack to much but can anyone point out a spot to get some more info on Hog Hunts. Im in Indiana and wouldnt mind driving 6-8 hours or so but TX is too far. Im thinking of a spring hunt that I can do driving Friday and returning Monday.  I dont want to hunt in a barnyard but I have heard that some of the fenced ranches are pretty good. Basicly what I want is pig who is big mean and will get me if I dont get him.  I already have my trusty Guide Gun 45/70 so I have that covered.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If you really want to test your nuts, find someone who runs dogs and bring your k-bar. The dogs pin'em, you stick 'em.

That being said, I've used everything from the sks and ARs to 45acp to 12 ga. They all work.
I prefer a semiauto .308. I'm not real big on shotguns.

Can your buddy handle the .500 or .460 in a stressful environment? From what I've seen, .44 does a hell of a job-240 grns seems to be about the right bullet weight.

Now I gotta go back to work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#42]
It depends.  
Generally, I'd select a rifle over a revolver for unspecified hunting.  

The .223 round wouldn't be my first choice for whacking them hard.

But I would be more likely to place a shot with a rifle at longer ranges.

Can I vote for something else?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is winning the poll because that is the best choice of the three.  Load 62 grain or heavier and you should be fine.  55 grainers will also kill pigs reliably if you put it in thier ear. (brain)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Because we have some congenital idiots that think that the .223 is the optimum cartridge for every possible use.  Not saying it can't be used, but there are usually a lot better choices for a lot of applications.  My 1903A1 can do a hell of a lot of things better than my AR.  In fact with few exceptions , it's probably better for almost anything I might do with a rifle.  (and watch the reactions from the guys that didn't bother to completely read the last sentence for comprehension.)

But your 1903A1 was not one of the choices.
.223 certainly would not be my first choice for pigs, but I would not feel undergunned hunting pigs with an AR.

I would take my
.270 with 150 grain Sierra GameKings
7mm WSM with 160 grain GameKings
30-06 with 150, 165 or 180 grain bullet of my choice
.257 Roberts with 100-120 grain quality bullet
I would choose any of these rifles and several others before I would choose any handgun because of the range and accuracy superiority of the rifles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
According to my roommate's dad, John Deere rifles are the best for hogs. And no, he's not a terrorist either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I almost hit some on my bike last summer(large sow and a bunch of little ones), Harley would might work well also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top