Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2005 9:46:54 AM EDT
I have noticed that fewer and fewer women know how (or care) to cook these days. I was blessed with a mom from another generation (had me when she was 40), and grew up eating well. But non of the girls I know or have dated seem to know what their doing in the kitchen. What's the deal with this? How's you situation? Is your spouse a good cook?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
When my wife and I first started dating about 6 or so years ago she could not boil water.  I slowly taught her how to cook and now she is pretty good at it.  We pretty much split the cooking duties.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, my wife is an excellent cook. No formal training, just good taste.

I was 197lbs when I got married; I am 235 now. I blame her.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
16 years married: Yes, and sew, and clean, and woodwork, and camp, and take care of the bidness if ya know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My ex cooks quite well.

My latest girfriend nominee cooks and is pro-RKBA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My ex couldn't cook or clean fer shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
is the Pope catholic......and, yes I have put on weight...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]

The current GF claims she can cook but I have not seen it yet. I dont have a stove at my house and hers is being remodeled
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell, yes!  My wife is the best cook I have ever known, and that's no exaggeration.  

She made blueberry cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert last night.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The current GF claims she can cook but I have not seen it yet. I dont have a stove at my house and hers is being remodeled

I take it you don't cook much?  

You'd be surprised at what you can do with just a good toaster oven.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
No woman of any sort at the moment (*SIGH* Not for lack of trying...), but if I get one any time soon she'd BETTER know how to cook, by golly.

I mean, I enjoy cooking. Heck, my food has won awards in state-level competition. But I'll be darned if I become attached to a woman who can't feed herself or potential children. That'd be like a farmer marrying a woman who can't cook, clean, sew, or do anything practical. It just ain't happening.

Shit. I even know how to crochet for pete's sake. I made blankets for nearly all of my younger cousins when they were born and they still use them. They're sturdy enough to be passed on to the next generation if they're treated properly. I am NOT about to out-do a woman when it comes to the fricking knitting circle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I cook.  I am also quite adept at baking.  I don't need a woman to cook for me.  

However, the girl I started running around with recently can cook pretty goddamn good.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I cook.  I am also quite adept at baking.  I don't need a woman to cook for me.  

However, the girl I started running around with recently can cook pretty goddamn good.  

+1 for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Wife can cook really good.

When she chooses too.  She rarely cooks for me.  Hell she learned how to make authentic mexican food, but doesn't make it for me.  She'll make it for her parents though.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]
My g/f cooks.  She takes classes in school.

She made me a sammich once! I didn't ask her or tell her, but she did.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell yes, weighed 172lbs when we got married, now hovering around 190-195lbs. She can cook!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife can't cook anything that doesn't come out of a box or end in "casserole."
She's a genuine kitchen-cripple.

If I wanna eat, I cook.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't let my wife cook.  The first meal she cooked for me were spareribs in a crock pot.  Only problem is that she put a minimal amount of water in on high heat.  The ribs and crock became one.  We ate at McDonald's that night and I've been cooking ever since.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Nope......

If I want it tasting good and not burnt, I cook it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife cooks but....
you won't catch me eating it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't had much luck in the cooking department as far as women go.

While dating, I had one girlfriend that didn't know to brown the meat before mixing it with the sauce to make spagetti.

One girlfriend almost used cooked oatmeal for oatmeal cookies. (Luckly I saw what she was going to do.)

One girlfiend made me an apple pie. It looked really good but tasted...well...funky. Found out that she used HEAPING tablespoons of Crisco in the crust.

An then there's my wife. While we were dating, she decided that she was going to cook for me. She wanted to make a casserole bud needed to use my kitchen since she didn't have any good pans and utensils. Well...it looked OK...tasted OK...but my PLASTIC bowl that she cooked it in was history. Granted, the bowl did look like a white Pyrex dish, but anyone who cooks would have known the difference from the weight. I would have never thought that a plastic dish would not melt in a hot oven, but I guess the food absorbed most of the heat. The little tab type handles on the side folded down and it could never be cleaned properly, but it actually held up amazingly well.

Oh well, can't have everything....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
NO
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it you don't cook much?  

You'd be surprised at what you can do with just a good toaster oven.

No I eat out most the time.
Its just not worth the effort to me to cook dinner. Time spent grocery shopping, time spent cooking, time spent washing dishes. After all that you still dont save much money when your only cooking for 1 person unless you really like left overs.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife's a bitch and she can't cook worth beans.  However I'm not too bad. Nothing fancy but enjoyable.   Patty
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, My wife is from the pre microwave generation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell yes! Cooks-stuff from scratch! Hunts,cuts and wraps!Preserves all kinds of stuff.Even buys me guns,or tells me what to get.Easy on the eyes,and well,you know.....
Don't know what I ever did to deserve all this,but the last 16 years have been wedded BLISS!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Heck yes my wife can cook.

She also can draw a line from most of society's ills to the feminist movement.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Mrs.Colt_SBR is an excellent cook.  She’s a much better cook than I am an eater.  She enjoys cooking gourmet meals and I just eat meat and potatoes.  I had a 27 inch waist and was 117 lbs. when we hooked up.  Now I have a 36+ waist and 189 lbs. (just went down from 205 lbs.)  It’s her fault.  

She also use to be a seamstress for Learners women’s shops.  She just sewed my patches on my LBV.    

I don’t know how I was so luck to hook up with her.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, but I wish she would cook more often
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Mrs. Different cooks exceptionally well.  She cooks every meal at home.  It's delicious food and I don't put on weight.  No BS.  Why? She cooks all kinds of Asian foods.  She could cook American food but then I would put on weight.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife is an excellent cook.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Like many women, my wife was not so good before we got married, but after a couple a couple of years she blossomed into an excellent cook.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd say she can out cook 99% of  all  cooks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#33]
No, she can't cook worth a damn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
yes she can cook,clean fish and make homemade cakes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, she does! It's a requirement that wives have to cook.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My wife is an excellent cook.

Max_Power - Funny Avatar!!

Dave15 - wife must check his posts he's kissing butt!

My wife is a great cook for real, and I like to help her with the dishes(not)

I started making things too
I order pizza=I made dinner
We go out after church=I made lunch
Heck if I answer the door and its a delivery I didn't call in it still counts for me making the meal
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Lets put it this way, the FIRST thing I remodelled in our house was the kitchen.  It went from a 70's retro POS goldenwheat countertop dark walnut colored crappy cabinets to a beautiful cherry wood granite countertop cooking heaven, and I haven't regretted the 4 weeks of pain and suffering it took me to do it either.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Not good enough thats for sure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My wife's a bitch and she can't cook worth beans.  However I'm not too bad. Nothing fancy but enjoyable.   Patty

Ummm, what?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#40]
She is a great cook.  Put on 60 lbs and 7" to the belt line in the first 4 years we were married.

I have been slowly losing what I out on I am down 40 lbs and 3".  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife is an AWESOME cook! A lot of what she knows was passed to her from her mother. That's why I'm so damn fat now! She can open a cook book and make anything in it exactly like the pictures or just look in the pantry and create something to make Emeril and Martha Stewart slap thier mommas!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Mine doesn't do too bad but she makes one hell of a mess doing it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Mrs. DOW cooks me an excellent dinner every single evening. She's a bit old fashioned that way.

She's the only girl I've been with that could really cook. Too many girls/women nowadays can't cook worth a shit - I agree 100%.

Then again, I do the sewing and ironing. Go figure
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That's my one sore sport with my wife's cooking.  She loves to make wonderful, fancy dishes, but she usually dirties up too much stuff making it, and she rarely cleans up as she goes.  So at the end of a great meal, the kitchen looks like a war zone.  I probably spend 5-10 hours a week just cleaning the kitchen, and that's on top of the cleaning she does.

When I cook, I make sure the clean dishes in the dishwasher are put up and the sink is emptied before I start.  Just doing that makes a huge difference.

Of course, we both hate to clean the kitchen, so we usually do it together so we can get it over and done faster.  It works out pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Team effort.  Lasagna w/ 3 cheese last night, and Texas toast!!!

No dinner pics, because too many titties were running around the ranch house.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife is a heckuva cook, and she loves taking care of me and our little girl!

HH
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my one sore sport with my wife's cooking.  She loves to make wonderful, fancy dishes, but she usually dirties up too much stuff making it, and she rarely cleans up as she goes.  So at the end of a great meal, the kitchen looks like a war zone.  I probably spend 5-10 hours a week just cleaning the kitchen, and that's on top of the cleaning she does.

When I cook, I make sure the clean dishes in the dishwasher are put up and the sink is emptied before I start.  Just doing that makes a huge difference.

Of course, we both hate to clean the kitchen, so we usually do it together so we can get it over and done faster.  It works out pretty well.

You and I must be cut out of the same mold and we must be married to the same women!!!  I have to start with a clean kitchen before I can begin to cook.  Then I clean as I go and at the end the clean up is minimal.  Mrs. M4arc on the other hand has piles of shit to be cleaned and it drives me nutz.

The other night after dinner, before she cleaned up, she decided to clean out the frig and piled a boat load of crap into the sink in addition to the mess she made cooking. I almost had to leave the house because I was so pissed
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, but not enough salt
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#50]
She wasn't much of a cook when we married, but that was all right - I am.  She cleaned, I cooked.  It worked out very well.  But since she quit her job to take care of the grandkids, she's learned a lot about cooking, and does a pretty fair job of it.  She doesn't like to cook, but she's not bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top