Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 7:49:14 AM EDT
Thinking about getting a used one, "Old" body style.
How do you like them? Any known problems?
What engine is the best?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Dakota, so all I'll comment on is the 4.7l V8. It's been a very good engine for me.

Just as with any vehicle, check on recalls and problems with the model you're looking for. Earlier Durangos had transmission problems (early 4.7l with the then-new transmission) and most of them had a ball joint recall so ensure that was done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a '99.  Love it.  Macman is right on the problems, but they should all ready be fixed.  I would buy a new one but hate the body style!!  WTF!!!

They have lots of room, but arent like driving a tank.  Fuel milage is ok  15-18.

Travis
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 98 with 55K on it.  
5.2L 4X4
No real problems yet.  
A/C did need to be fixed once.
Mileage sucks but I knew it would  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my '98.  There were a batch of weak window motors that went out and needed to be replaced.  Make sure all the windows work before you buy it.
It is a great vehicle and can tow alot but mileage is not so good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 2003 Durango with the 4.7 V8 ... excellent vehicle. Only reason I dont have it anymore is the wife totalled it! That little v8 sure had lots of power.

I think there was a recall for the upper ball joints.

I also had a company vehicle that was a 2000 Durango with 360V8 4x4 ... I abused it pretty well for 60K miles. No problems...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2000 Durango with 4.7L.  I have never had any problems with it besides having to replace a couple rotors.   Very good truck
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked at an RT in....99 or 00.
Very badass. I would have signed right there had I not had a kid on the way.

So, the extent of my experience comes from driving the balls of an RT in a test drive for about 15 or 20 minutes.

The new body style sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Live a little:
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont own a Durango but being a lifelong Mopar person I would say-

BEWARE of any Transmission from Chrysler,Dodge.

They are extremely picky. If it says to use ATF +3 or +4 use that and ONLY that. Never take it to a quick lube as they will  fill it with Dexron and put some Lubeguard with it and tell you itsa fine. Also the Transmissions are prone to overheating. Do yourself a favor and add an external Transmission cooler. Either grab one from the parts yard for like $6 or get a  new one $45. Its worth the $$ and will double the life of your trans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
On the 360 there is a problem with part of the intake manifold cracking.  This results in a vibration that  sounds like knocking and it sucks oil.  Mine has this problem, and it occurred after the warranty expired.  Cost is about $500 to repair, but I'd rather burn a little oil.

The intake manifold on the engine is actually a two-piece design, and the gasket between the two pieces is what fails and causes this problem.  It's VERY well-documented and most 5.2L and 5.9L Magnum engines will probably develop it if you run them long enough.  My Ram does this, and the only problem is that terrible knocking sound and an ocasional puff of smoke on start-up.  Just keep an eye on your oil level and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My brother in law's rear end went out at 85,000 miles.  
He has the RT. I think it is a '99.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#15]
My 99 Durango is the vehicle I special ordered for my wife in and has been solid. It has the 360 with all the heavy duty coolers and is a dream machine on trips.

Problems:
burned oil bad on 1 trip, turned out to be gasket on throttle body, warranty.
2 window motors, warranty
2 infinity speakers, warranty.
Speed sensor last summer, warranty
upper ball joint boots broken, warranty -- this year. Check all ball joint boots. If they are attached with rivets, they are original. If bolt and nuts, they are the revised part. I had to replace all 4 on my 98 Dakota this year which made me do a closer inspection of the Durango.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
got a 99 with the big V8, 92000 miles on it.
Burns oils a little, not sure from what, but I gotta add about 3/4 of a quart every month to 5 weeks.
Also, I found out my ball joints and tie rods are going bad, they're going to need to be replaced soon, which I was quoted near a $1000!!

all in all i'm still happy with it and intend to keep it for a couple more years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The Durango is ok if you want SUV looks, and the ability to tow. But if you want to go offroad, you would be much better served by a Jeep. Don't forget what the Durango is...a cheaply engineered vehicle to fill a niche. All Chrysler did was take the existing mid size truck platform and make it an SUV. Most ppl. that buy SUVs are just buying for looks and size anyways, so they don't care...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a '99, 5.2L.  I love the driving the truck, but I hate how much it has cost me.

Drivers side lock motor
Passenger side lock motor
Ball joints
5, yes 5 Serp belts
3 Serp belt tensioners
Ignition coil failure at 1 year

Now, the dealer says I need a new tranny.

On the road at 70 mph I only get 13 mpg.  The dealer says this is normal.

Never again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top