Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:23 AM EDT
oh sweet jeebus...i have this book and i broke it out to read just for shits and giggles being one of the first paperbacks i ever bought with my own money. it's a fictional story about former waffen ss joining the french foreign legion and fighting in vietnam. it's an old book (1972) and has seen better days. it got wet and the pages have yellowed and i marked several passages. anyway, i wanted a better copy so i went to abebooks.com and looked it up...omfg!!!
devil's guard search
i think i'll retire and buy an island in tahiti!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What a great book.  We sure could learn some lessons in dealing with "insurgants" from that book.

Wet n' mangled it's still worth a bundle.  I wonder why it hasn't been published in paperback again.  I know you can find an on-line version of the first book.  There are two more after Devil's Guard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a note- it's NON fiction!

That really happened.

I had the book and sold it a couple of years ago on another forum (with the sequel, which was not as good) for $100.

Edit: And I was not putting the screws to anybody- people in the thread said "I would buy that book for $100" and I said "sheese, I'll sell both that and the sequel for $100!" and someone took me up on it... And two other guys emailed me later to see if I still had the books!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Good book, but I thought it was fiction.

I know former Wermacht and SS soldiers went into the Foreign Legion and fought for the French in Vietnam, but my understanding was that The Devil's Guard was fictional.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I know former Wermacht and SS soldiers went into the Foreign Legion and fought for the French in Vietnam, but my understanding was that The Devil's Guard was fictional.

I kept looking at the spine and in the frontispiece... It was nonfiction.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Whole thing is available for free on the 'net:

members.cox.net/freestuff/DevilsGuard/

I know the printed book is still worth money but this is a FWIW to people who want to read it.
Gets pretty good after they get to Indochina.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kept looking at the spine and in the frontispiece... It was nonfiction.

Then good.  They really gave it to the politically incorrect shorthand for our enemies in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Found it in my local library.

In the non-fiction section, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#11]
it's marked as nonfiction but i seem to remember reading years ago that elford was a history buff and made the book up (kinda like sven hassel). still good reading, though!

i had "devil's inferno" when it first came out but it was so bad i got rid of it! d'oh!!!

unbelievable, ain't it!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna print it out and read it (can't stand reading long things on the screen).

Someday I'll buy a copy, but there's so many other books I need right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
it's marked as nonfiction but i seem to remember reading years ago that elford was a history buff and made the book up (kinda like sven hassel). still good reading, though!

i had "devil's inferno" when it first came out but it was so bad i got rid of it! d'oh!!!

unbelievable, ain't it!

That's news to me!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unbelievable, ain't it!

That's news to me!

don't even ask me where i read that, it was like 10-15 years ago! it might have even been the opinion of someone else that i just remember as coming from elford...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
This is good stuff, imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top