Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 9:39:06 PM EDT
First day of the new term, my new Writing 122 teacher tells us she went to Stanford in the late 60's, and attended protest rallies.  Hell, first thing I thought when I saw her was, "She looks like Ward Churchill in a dress!"  This class is based around writing position papers and debating.  Gonna be interesting.

[Cartman]Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. [/Cartman]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First day of the new term, my new Writing 122 teacher tells us she went to Stanford in the late 60's, and attended protest rallies.  Hell, first thing I thought when I saw her was, "She looks like Ward Churchill in a dress!"  This class is based around writing position papers and debating.  Gonna be interesting.

[Cartman]Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. [/Cartman]

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
First day of the new term, my new Writing 122 teacher tells us she went to Stanford in the late 60's, and attended protest rallies.

Another self-absorbed, narcissistic, radical leftist, shithead professor talking about HERSELF which has nothing to do with the content of the course.  

I will be SOOOOO glad when the last stuck-in-the-sixties hippie dies a hopefully-painful and embarrassing death.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sucks that we've got to deal with them being in control of the humanities in school, but you might as well just cowboy up, ace the class and avoid her last name when signing up for classes next semester.

It's fun how Ivy Leaguers can't help but name drop.  "attended Stanford"  Whoppty friggin do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one who went to college in the 60's for a Anthropology teacher. He told us about his studies about nomadic herders in Iran. At some point he had to pee (coulda happened to anyone of us) and apparently he didnt notice that he was about to pee uphill and while peeing the pee flowed back toward him (he was on his knees ) and had to build a damn to keep from getting covered with pee.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I once had a history teacher that spent 10 minutes of class every day talking about what his cats did the previous day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe you can get your teacher to demonstrate the proper way to stand in from of a cat(apillar) like the hippie girl who went to Israel.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]
There also happens to be a ROP'er in the class.  I'll bet my "Infidel" shirt wouldn't go over well.

My new history teacher ought to be good, seeing as it looks like he lived through most of it.  He says he's 77 years old, and I belive it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There also happens to be a ROP'er in the class.  I'll bet my "Infidel" shirt wouldn't go over well.

An IDF shirt would be much better...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Another self-absorbed, narcissistic, radical leftist, shithead professor talking about HERSELF which has nothing to do with the content of the course.  

Sounds like she's just introducing herself to the class. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sucks that we've got to deal with them being in control of the humanities in school, but you might as well just cowboy up, ace the class and avoid her last name when signing up for classes next semester.

It's fun how Ivy Leaguers can't help but name drop.  "attended Stanford"  Whoppty friggin do.

Stanford's not even an Ivy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
College campuses=liberal breeding grounds.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like she's just introducing herself to the class. Nothing wrong with that.

WTF does her attending protest rallies have to do with a writing class???? Who the fuck cares bitch! Shut up and teach!

When I introduce myself to the class it goes like this:

"Hi, my name is Dr. Macallan and this is Microbiology. Let's go ahead and get started with the material for today. I have a roster and will start with taking attendance..."

I never agreed with the touchy-feely hippy professors who thought they needed to "open up" and tell the class all about their personal background and personal ideological beliefs. It's got nothing to do with the course and only serves to make THEMSELVES the focus of the discussion. If I'm interested in the professor's work and past, I'll ask or look it up myself. If their past work or experience is related to the discussion topic, then fine.

But I hate vain professors like that.

But enough about me.

So what do YOU think about me?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine your first day of work you telling all your co-workers you have 20k+ rounds of ammo, you are mastering the art of bump-firing your AK clone and you think the 2nd amendment includes the right for private citizens to own all but Nukes and WMDS.

Do you think that's prudent or relevant?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I once had a history teacher that spent 10 minutes of class every day talking about what his cats did the previous day.

So I see you took one of my classes!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF does her attending protest rallies have to do with a writing class???? Who the fuck cares bitch! Shut up and teach!

When I introduce myself to the class it goes like this:

"Hi, my name is Dr. Macallan and this is Microbiology. Let's go ahead and get started with the material for today. I have a roster and will start with taking attendance..."

I never agreed with the touchy-feely hippy professors who thought they needed to "open up" and tell the class all about their personal background and personal ideological beliefs. It's got nothing to do with the course and only serves to make THEMSELVES the focus of the discussion. If I'm interested in the professor's work and past, I'll ask or look it up myself. If their past work or experience is related to the discussion topic, then fine.

But I hate vain professors like that.

But enough about me.

So what do YOU think about me?

Well, I think you're right to keep the subject the focus of the class and not yourself.  You had better be damn good if youre a vain professor.   But on the other hand,  college professor should probably do some professing and not just teaching of  facts or techniques, IMHO.   In a humanities class,  there is a good chance that there will be more discussion partly based on personal experiences than in micro.   She may have just been trying to be a good example.  

I love haivng tenure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine your first day of work you telling all your co-workers you have 20k+ rounds of ammo, you are mastering the art of bump-firing your AK clone and you think the 2nd amendment includes the right for private citizens to own all but Nukes and WMDS.

Probably not prudent or relevant, but if a coworker said that to me, we'd be best buds in short order.

Lots of guys at work know me as the "gun nut". I sneak RKBA comments into casual conversations at every opporunity. One of our guys is begging me to take him shooting - he's from India and has never fired a gun before. God Bless America.

Nobody knew my hobbies on the first day of work though, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Stand up, say, "I'm not wasting my time or hard earned money on this drivel," and head for the B school.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not prudent or relevant, but if a coworker said that to me, we'd be best buds in short order.

Lots of guys at work know me as the "gun nut". I sneak RKBA comments into casual conversations at every opporunity. One of our guys is begging me to take him shooting - he's from India and has never fired a gun before. God Bless America.

Nobody knew my hobbies on the first day of work though, that's for sure.

That's the exact reason I work for myself now!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]
PromptCritical, pay attention to those old history teachers.  They typically know their shit.  If you get a decent teacher he will relate what it was like during some of the times you will be studying.  It makes things a bit more entertaing/ less boring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Liberism lives on college campus' because it cant survive in the real world.

Thats the damn truth!

(3rd yr in University-Kalahnikid)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Yesterday she was inserted "most of the wealth is controlled by 5% of the population." several times in one lecture.  Alright!  Lets throw some fire into the class war!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Those that can... Do.

Those that fail... Teach.

With some exceptions of course.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Time to wear a Club Gitmo T-shit!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Want to get an Ivy Leaguer to make your coffee for you? Drop by Starbucks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yesterday she was inserted "most of the wealth is controlled by 5% of the population." several times in one lecture.  Alright!  Lets throw some fire into the class war!

Your response: "So what? Are you complaining because you're not getting paid enough compared to that 5%? Sounds a lot like plain old 'envy' on your part.

Or are you complaining because you're paid too much compared to the other 95%? Well if you think your overpaid compared to the custodian, put your money where your mouth is and give him half your salary."

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, if she was taking YOUR class and you introduced yourself as thus...

"Hi, my name is Dr. Macallan and this is Microbiology. I'm a conservative Christian who supports the second amendment."

SHE would lose her fucking mind. And anyone who got less than a "B" would claim liberal persecution.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Today, I got another taste that this country is doomed.  

The very old History teacher was feeling froggy and decided to hand out maps of the US with no names printed on it.  I'm sure we all know where this is going.  As it turns out, I am the only one in the class to get them all correctly done.  I made a bit of a show of this, by walking up and trying to hand it in to him after less than two minutes.  Every one else had even left some blank.  The worst part was, I think I was the only one who thought this was a big deal.

As far as I know, these are all high school graduates.  WTF is wrong with the education system in this country?!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The very old History teacher was feeling froggy and decided to hand out maps of the US with no names printed on it.  I'm sure we all know where this is going.  As it turns out, I am the only one in the class to get them all correctly done.  I made a bit of a show of this, by walking up and trying to hand it in to him after less than two minutes.  Every one else had even left some blank.  The worst part was, I think I was the only one who thought this was a big deal.

As far as I know, these are all high school graduates.  WTF is wrong with the education system in this country?!

A lot of things.

I seem to remember an article in Readers Diagest a few weeks ago about how today's teachers are extremely incompetent and how they can't even spell or make a coherent sentence.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

According to the IRS the wealthiest 5% of the US population earns 32% of the country's income and pays 53% of the taxes, at leat for CY2001.  That fact probably wouldn't win you any extra credit though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I am pretty sure I had a similar assignment....in 8th grade.  I guess I am in my 30s and went to Catholic school though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the IRS the wealthiest 5% of the US population earns 32% of the country's income and pays 53% of the taxes, at leat for CY2001.  That fact probably wouldn't win you any extra credit though.

There is no class system, please remain happy with the current distribution. Less then 2% of Americans earn more then 6 figures, and as long as I join my parents up there I don't give a fuck about "class" wars. If I become a cog in the system instead, i guess I can always just deal with angst by becoming a teacher and taking it out on students,

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think a good Final Exam question for Incoming College Freshmen is "What is the name of the Planet you are on ?"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Stand up, say, "I'm not wasting my time or hard earned money on this drivel," and head for the B school.

w00t!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to get an Ivy Leaguer to make your coffee for you? Drop by Starbucks!

Stanford ain't in the Ivy League

Edit: someone beat me to it
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Another one.  He opens a bag and pulls out this book.Two students made remarks implying the GW Bush should be in it.  This girl further implies that Bush should be number one.  I checked the book, he's not in it.  The most recent is Carter, with number one being Nixon.  I was thinking, "I wonder why she's even in this class, having such a firm grasp of history that she can say that Bush is without a doubt the worst president ever."  Damn, maybe she should be teaching the class.  Rubes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top