Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:19 PM EDT
Does anybody know if a private citizen has ever used a car set up with cameras (like a bait car) to expose an abusive cop?

ktm500

Edit :
I only ask this because a coworker was stopped on her way to work tonight. The officer said he pulled her over for no tail lights and swerving. He did not give her a ticket or charge her with anything. All he did was tell her that if anyone tries to drive the car, they would be pulled over. He then took her licence and registration and left her stranded.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you should take your idea to the local television station?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anybody know if a private citizen has ever used a car set up with cameras (like a bait car) to expose an abusive cop?

Yes, many times. Internal Affairs have done this locally, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
So were the tail lights really out...?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Her headlights were on, but she could not confirm the tail lights. She has the officers name and badge # and will be going in to the station after work with her Father.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Was her license & registration expired?    This sounds like an incomplete story at best.  Not that there aren't a few corrupt ones out there, but normally she'd get it all back with a fix-it ticket.  

But if she was drunk or drugged up, the car could well be towed & her possibly spend the night as a guest of the county, and she'd have to pick her stuff up at the property room in the morning.    I wouldn't go out of my way to help her, based on what we've heard so far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IA may have done this, but could a private citizen do it on their own?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was her license & registration expired?    This sounds like an incomplete story at best.  Not that there aren't a few corrupt ones out there, but normally she'd get it all back with a fix-it ticket.  

But if she was drunk or drugged up, the car could well be towed & her possibly spend the night as a guest of the county, and she'd have to pick her stuff up at the property room in the morning.    I wouldn't go out of my way to help her, based on what we've heard so far.

She was not charged with anything, just left stranded.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would the cop take her license?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IA may have done this, but could a private citizen do it on their own?

ktm500

Sure. Anyone can install a camera anytime in their own vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top