Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 5:21:05 PM EDT
Ok well i think im gonna go under the lazer . Im tired of wearing glasses to the range to have em fog up. Anyone have any advice on the diffrent procedures available. I will be seeing some hazardous enviroments in the future as im in a NG infantry unit. I read a thread a while back about soem precedures are better for altitude and what not but cant find it. Anyway post ur experiences and advice .
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Had mine done 3 month ago.

The consultation was about an hour. Which they checked your eyes using alot of differnt machines. Including a sonic pen looking deivece, that when touched to your cornea, generates a ripple. Sounds scary, but it was really not that uncomfortable.

The actural surgery was even less. Once they put the eye drop in, you sit and wait for about 30 minutes before the operation begans. Once on the table, it's one eye at a time. Each eye took 2:00 minutes for the laser to finish. Then it's on to a dark room for them to check your cornea and then have someone drive you home.

3-5 hours later you should be at near 20/20.

Afterwards, you will need eye drops. Maybe alot.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Had mine done 3 month ago.

The consultation was about an hour. Which they checked your eyes using alot of differnt machines. Including a sonic pen looking deivece, that when touched to your cornea, generates a ripple. Sounds scary, but it was really not that uncomfortable.

The actural surgery was even less. Once they put the eye drop in, you sit and wait for about 30 minutes before the operation begans. Once on the table, it's one eye at a time. Each eye took 2:00 minutes for the laser to finish. Then it's on to a dark room for them to check your cornea and then have someone drive you home.

3-5 hours later you should be at near 20/20.

Afterwards, you will need eye drops. Maybe alot.

What sort of cost are you looking at?  I have seen everything from $500/eye to $2500/eye.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
A) Plastic lenses on glasses won't fog.

B) If you're one of the X% that has bad side effects from the surgery, then what? You have extra eyeballs?

While I curse those with perfect vision, I found contacts remove a lot of the problems found with wearing glasses.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive had contacts fall out and glasses fog up on too many ranges i would hate to be in a similar situation in a combat zone this seems worth the risk.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I was 20/400 from 1972 to 2000,

had lasik done on both eyes.  Had to have the left one "touched up" in 2001, but otherwise I've been 20/20 since then.  Amazing surgery.  Cost me $2500/eye back then, worth every penny.

Sister-in-law had hers done a couple of months after me, she's been 20/20 since then too, no issues.

Advice - make sure you use th ebest, most experienced eye surgeon in your area.  If they don't have a few hundred under their belt find someone else.  It's that whole the more I play golf the luckier I get syndrom.

Best of luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I had Lasik a few years back

Pros:  20/20 vision
         No more glasses
         You can wear decent sunglasses

Cons: Dry eyes
         Sometimes at night certain Headlights/ Taillights will give a starburst or Halo effect

In retrospect I have mixed feelings
The surgery is risky
However freedom from glasses is excellent

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you see the search button?

j/k...more  info avilable in the above thread.  Was thinking about it myself.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I did it 4 years ago for similar (work) reasons. Overall I recomend it. There are some side effects though. For instance, I see halos around lights. For a year or so, highway reflectors looked like fence posts. My eyes sometimes get dry. I see a shadow over sharp lines ,like roof edges and power lines. My overall vision is a little worse , I think, than it was with glasses. Thats the downside. That is offset by not having to keep up with ,and worry about breaking, glasses. There are no glasses to fog up. I can wear normal sunglasses. And best of all I can see what time it is at night when I look at the alarm clock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=380637

I'm still happy with mine.  Eyes get a little dry, but some saline drops take care of that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Its worth it.  I had mine done about 5 years ago.  Drove to Atlanta to have it done at Emory (the only eye doc here doing them had done 3 at the time I had mine done).  I had some problems -they had to do 3 "adjustments" to get mine right (oh, and I had a LOT of pain with the first procedure, but I am in the minority).  I am still seeing 20/20 after 30 years of glasses (including 15 years of contacts).  I haven't kept up with the various procedures they have now, but it has to be better than when I had mine done.  

If you have the cash, I see no reason not to get it done.  The only real horror story I know is one of my partners who tried an experimental procedure to correct farsightedness.  I am not even sure how many surgeries (not laser procedures, but surgeries) he has been through to fix all the problems caused by it.

ETA:  I don't have halos, stars or even dry eyes (any more), although I did lose some night vision.    
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can you see the search button?

j/k...more  info avilable in the above thread.  Was thinking about it myself.

Im a freeloader cant search hehe
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Worth every penny.

20/40 to 20/15

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Had it done about six years ago.  Worth every penny, still 20/20.  I have noticed some loss of night vision, it is a little more blurry in darkness than it was with glasses before.  I have learned to adjust to that.  I can see well in good ligkt.   Seems the better the light the better my acuity.

I was worthwhile, for me.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dupe.

So, what do you suggest, a FAQ maybe?

We could just sticky the thread at the top - right along with all the other questions I've seen repeated a shitload of times.  

Hell, maybe we should just cover all the possible threads and sticky those wile we're at it.  That way we wouldn't need to post any more. What a time saver.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Worth every penny.

20/40 to 20/15

Good advice. My experience was the same - 20/100 to 20/15.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
currently 20/60 stigmatism both eyes will post results if i get it done.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
20/10 & 20/15 Horrible before it was the greatest single think I ever did for myself I paid 1K per eye but it included all follow ups for the entire year after the sugery. Where in NY are you I can highly recomend the place I used Garden City NY. Im me if intrested
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
i had  mine done 5 mos. ago and am very pleased w/ the results.  i also had dry eyes afterwards, but that seems to have more or less gone away.  i also have halo/starburst at night, but i understand that to be associated w/ large pupils.  My pupils are very large.  this is no surprise.  i also believe my night vision is slightly less sharp than it was.  all these things are of minimal importance to me though.  i love not having glasses and would do it again.  i'm not sure the horror stories apply to the laser so much as they do to back when they actually made cuts to the lens.  but i may be wrong here.   google it and see what you get.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
PRK => if possible for your correction level, it is by far the best correction that keeps the integrity of the eye INTACT....yes, I said INTACT....research it and you will see what I mean....(look up what the military prefers)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it just me or does the idea of having a laser carve a lens out of your eyes sound really creepy?
And I'm not one to be against innovation....just creeped out i guess
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#22]
How in the heck could you folks possibly lay (or sit?) there and not move your eyeball while a laser carves it?

Even with my eyes numb, I really don't think I could do it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
you try not to move, and you do...but the laser has a tracking system - very sweet
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I had the money to get it done.  Damn glasses...  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone had PRK? Or just Lasik?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I had PRK in 1998 - what would you like to know?

The main advantage with PRK is the integrity of the eye remains intact.  This is important to me, as I do not want a dislodged flap (the flap never ever heals) or epithelium growing under the flap, or a rippled flap.  Some people do not have hte PRK option as their correction is beyond the capability of PRK.

With PRK you will not see perfect for about 1 month, as the epithelium heals it makes seems that give multiple images.  There is a burning sensation for 3 days because the surface is raw and the epithelium must grow back over the surface.

You can see why LASIK is preferable to the doctors because the patients feel good imediately and have supposedly instant results, all at the cost of making the eye flimsy!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
20/10 & 20/15 Horrible before it was the greatest single think I ever did for myself I paid 1K per eye but it included all follow ups for the entire year after the sugery. Where in NY are you I can highly recomend the place I used Garden City NY. Im me if intrested

Im sent
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
And Relpied
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How in the heck could you folks possibly lay (or sit?) there and not move your eyeball while a laser carves it?

Even with my eyes numb, I really don't think I could do it.

The flap is already cut by another laser.  When the refractive laser is "cutting," all you see is a flashing red dot.  That cutting involves no contact with the eye.  Your job is to stare at the dot.  Piece of cake.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/lasik.htm

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/prk.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#31]
There are days when I just sit and look at stuff because I can and there are days when I am so worried that my vision might go back to the way it was that I can't even think straight.  So far so good.  I pray it stays so good for me and all others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top