Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:19:13 PM EDT
What is a good software package to do the following...
1... Capture vid from my camera via USB.
2... Encode it at a reasonable size (emailable).
3... Allow me to go frame by frame to capture stills.
4... Not a ton of cash.

It is a Sony DCR-HC21 but the software it came with sucks. 2 min capture is a 600mb AVI file.

Thanks In advance
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
For entry level video editing/compression Ulead's Video Studio might do the trick.  When you say emailable (5MB or less) that's a whole lot of compression so don't expect super sharp videos if they are over several minutes long.  Here's some reviews of video editing software.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason that the file is so large is that it is saving the output as an uncompressed AVI.

Don't ditch the firewire to capture the video from the camera.  What you really need to work on is compressing and editing the video once you have it.

Ulead makes a nice entry level video editor, Adobe's Premiere Elements (and Premiere Pro) are good systems.

For E-mailing videos I'd reccomend considering encoding them as wmv or asf.  Those tend to be smaller files.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Well.... if you are going to import video from a camcorder firewire is the way to go.

use windows movie maker.

or

http://www.tmpgenc.net/

for any info. or tutorials check out vcdhelp.com

But personally I use firewire for transfer
Adobe Premiere or Avid Xpress for encoding
Adobe After Effects, Canopus Xplode, and Boris FX for transitions and other effects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top