BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 1:16:00 PM EDT

"old sea dogs"
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much has changed, just add the coffee cup.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h02000/h02889.jpg

"old sea dogs"

Their ages are 22, 24, 23 and 21.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

And they all have syphilis and scurvy
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR

And prefer young cabin boys to women.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You said this was an Old Navy photo but I don't think so....    though the one on the left does look like Morgan Fairchild.    Is that their new performance dungaree line?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR

damn ..,   so THATS why they say that .....  < it hurts when they pee .. >

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]

old ship wreck circa 1909
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You said this was an Old Navy photo but I don't think so....    though the one on the left does look like Morgan Fairchild.    Is that their new performance dungaree line?

I hope you meant Morgan Freeman.  That looks nothing like Morgan Fairchild.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]

typical seaman's meal in the old days

ship's biscuits...

the common seaman's diet each day was 1lb of ship's biscuit, 4lbs of beef,  2 lbs of pork, 2lb of peas, 1.5 lbs of oatmeal, 6 oz of sugar and 6 oz of butter, and 12 oz of cheese a week. However these provisions were not fresh and often rotton after several months at sea. The biscuits also known as "hard tack", would often contain weevils or maggots and sailors would tap their biscuits on the table to knock most of the weevils out before eating. In addition to the food, the sailor also received a gallon of beer a day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
you said seamen
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.historicfood.com/Design/Assets/Images/Tudor-seamen's-meal.jpg

ship's biscuits...

Where's the protein supplementsmaggots in the hard tack?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ship's biscuits...

Where's the protein supplementsmaggots in the hard tack?

Jim

Midshipmen would often pick the maggots out of their Hard tack before eating and save them in a pill box and keep them fed and trained and have maggot races on the mess hall tables for entertainment

ships biscuit [hard tack]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I would not mess with those guys. They probably dont look like much, but I bet they would rip your dick off in a fight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ship's biscuits...

the common seaman's diet each day was 1lb of ship's biscuit, 4lbs of beef,  2 lbs of pork, 2lb of peas, 1.5 lbs of oatmeal, 6 oz of sugar and 6 oz of butter, and 12 oz of cheese a week. However these provisions were not fresh and often rotton after several months at sea. The biscuits also known as "hard tack", would often contain weevils or maggots and sailors would tap their biscuits on the table to knock most of the weevils out before eating. In addition to the food, the sailor also received a gallon of beer a day.

Yummy! And when that runs out they get fresh long pork.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
that would be 11-12 lbs of food a day? thats a lot of food for one man

edited

yes, I think they meant thats how much a sailor ate each week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you got the weekly ration compared with daily ration.  If that's the daily ration  the ships would sink from the weight of the crew.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never heard Backgammon referred to as Acey-Deucey before.  Is that what it used to be called in the U.S. ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've never heard Backgammon referred to as Acey-Deucey before.  Is that what it used to be called in the U.S. ?

Acey deucey starts with all the blots off the board and it takes a 1 or 2 to get them started. Hence the term acey deucey.  That's according to my dad who served in WWII on a number of Navy ships including the USS West Virginia after they raised her off the mud at Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Its close to backgammon but a little different.

Every sailor and Pirate alike should know how to play Acey Deucey!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

An' whas' wrong wit syphilis an' scury, ye landlubber? Yarr!! What say ye? Speaks into me horn, me laddie. [insert pirate smilie that doesn't exist here.]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
a gallon of beer a day?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

<John Lovitz> ........Morgan Fairchild, yeah, yeah, who I married her after I dumped Marga.....uhhh....Heather Thomas. We lived in a mansion in San Fran......uhhh....Beverly Hills......yeah, thats the ticket! <John Lovitz>

Most of the youngins probably won't get the SNL reference from the good years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
"Now this is no shi*t............................"

Gilbert H. Purdy had quite a history:
spanamwar.com/purdy.htm
(other links same as from David Ireland below)

Google on "david ireland" "USS Mohican".........
Extended caption:  www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h02000/h02889l.htm

More background and addtitional pictures: www.mississippi.net/~comcents/tendertale.com/ttp13.html

Same & additional material including oil color reproduction of the photograph:
www.history.navy.mil/photos/arttopic/titles/old-navy.htm

225th Naval Anniversary Article www.dcmilitary.com/navy/tester/5_42/local_news/2406-1.html

Websters on-line (subscription needed for full size images of 2 additional Mohican photos)
www.websters-dictionary-online.org/definition/english/Mo/Mohican.html

"John T. Griffith""USS Mohican":  No new material.....

"John King""USS Mohican":
Flipped & Ripped from photograph: sepia print of just King, based on the photo.
www.pinemanorgallery.com/pmg_show_itemone.cfm?ItemID=PMG-053
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

old navy photo from the days when men were men  

.......And cabin boys were scared.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
a gallon of beer a day?

I could do it.
That's not even a twelve pack.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
a gallon of beer a day?

Yes, they'd serve it first, that way the sailors didn't realize they didn't get any of the other food on the list................
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow...    old school.

Here's the current crew of Old Navy:

Arrrrrrrrr! Walk the plank, ye scurvy seadogs!!

Pictures like that make ya wonder what the US Navy is going to look like in 117 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<John Lovitz> ........Morgan Fairchild, yeah, yeah, who I married her after I dumped Marga.....uhhh....Heather Thomas. We lived in a mansion in San Fran......uhhh....Beverly Hills......yeah, thats the ticket! <John Lovitz>

Was that in his role as lounge lizard?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
True sailors they were laddy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#32]
AAAAHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
a gallon of beer a day?

Probably low-carb beer
(who needs to eat so much when you're consuming 1500++ calories a day in beer alone?)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Old Royal Navy swabbie saying:

Better a messmate than a mate;
better a mate than a stranger;
better a stranger than a dog;
better a dog than a soldier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Early Navy computer. Cira 1900

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
So, what they say about the Navy IS true...

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

"old sea dogs"

Those are "Gray Beards" and I bet they had some good stories to tell
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The American version of Acey-Deucey has been a favorite game of the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and Merchant Marine since the First World War.

Setup: Each player starts with fifteen checkers off the board. The players enter their checkers in the opponent's home board, then bring them around the board as shown in the diagram below.

Object: The object of the game is to move all of your checkers around the board to your own home table and then bear them off. The first player to bear off all of his checkers wins the game.

To start: Each player rolls one die and the higher number goes first. That player then rolls both dice again to begin his first turn.

Entering checkers: You enter a checker by placing it on a point in the opponent's home board corresponding to a number rolled. For example, if you roll 6-3, then you enter one checker on the opponent's six-point and one checker on his three-point. Once you have entered one or more checkers, you may use subsequent rolls to move those checkers forward, to enter more checkers, or both.

Movement: The roll of the dice indicates how many points, or pips, the player is to move his checkers. The following rules apply:

A checker may be moved only to an open point, one that is not occupied by two or more opposing checkers.

The numbers on the two dice constitute separate moves. For example, if you roll 5 and 3, you may move one checker five spaces to an open point and another checker three spaces to an open point, or you may move the one checker a total of eight spaces to an open point, but only if the intermediate point (either three or five spaces from the starting point) is also open.

Doubles are played twice. For example, a roll of 6-6 means you have four sixes to use.
You must use both numbers of a roll if possible, or all four numbers in the case of doubles. If you can play one number but not both, you must play the higher one.

Acey-deucey: The roll of 1 and 2 (acey-deucey) is especially valuable. When you roll 1-2, this is what happens:

First you play the 1 and 2 in the normal way.
Then you name any roll of doubles you wish and play it accordingly.
Then you roll again and play the roll as usual.

If the number rolled is another 1-2, you keep going—naming and playing a double of your choice, and then rolling again.

Note, however, if you are unable to use any part of your roll, you forfeit the rest of your turn. For example, if you can move your 2 but cannot use the 1, you may not name a double and you may not roll again.

It is permissible to name a double even if only part of it can be used. For example, after moving 1 and 2, you can name 6-6 as your double even if only three of the 6s can be played. You would then lose the fourth 6, and you wouldn't get to roll again.

Hitting: A checker sitting alone on a point is called a blot. If an opposing checker lands on a blot, the blot is hit and placed on the bar.

Entering from the bar: Any time you have one or more checkers on the bar, your first obligation is to reenter those checker(s) into the opponent's home board. You reenter a checker by moving it to an open point corresponding to one of the numbers on the rolled dice. If you are able to enter some but not all of your checkers on the bar, you must enter as many as you can then give up the remainder of your turn.

Bearing Off: Once you have moved all fifteen of your checkers into your home board, you may begin bearing off. You bear off a checker by rolling a number that corresponds to the point on which it resides, then removing the checker from the board.

If there is no checker on the point indicated by the roll, you must make a legal move using a checker on a higher-numbered point. If there are no checkers on higher-numbered points, you must remove a checker from the highest point that has a checker.

Scoring: The loser pays one point for each of his checkers still on the board (or yet to be entered). Gammons and backgammons do not count extra.

The doubling cube is not used in acey-deucey.

Strategy: Because the roll of 1-2 is so powerful, luck plays a greater part in acey-deucey than in regular backgammon. You are never completely out of a game. On the other hand, since you start with fifteen men back, there is some added opportunity for skill in placing your checkers to block the opponent.

Typical strategy is to get at least half your checkers on the board as quickly as possible and form them into a blockade.

Rule Differences from Backgammon

All checkers start off the board.
The winner of the opening roll rerolls for his first turn.
After rolling 1-2, the player gets to name and play a double of his choice and then roll again.
The winner scores one point for each opposing checker not borne off.
There is no doubling cube.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the neat pictures of the Great White Fleet, DienBienPhu54.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thanks...I felt silly asking...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was that in his role as lounge lizard?

That was Tommy Flanagan of the Pathological Liars Assn of America

ETA: In fact, he was the President of that organization.....yeah, that's the ticket
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow..  Didn't realize that our uniforms haven't changed much in all these years..  Hope they never do.  What you see in these pics is real heritage and tradition.  Some can be traced back hundreds of years, long before the Brits decided to colonize the New World.

There was a time when a Sailor occupied one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.. And that was during peace time!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Wooden ships and Iron men.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Found this from somebody else's links.  "Old and New salts"  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So, what they say about the Navy IS true...

www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h93704.jpg

Yeah, what's up with the goat?
Weren't there any marines on board?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#48]
"You know what I'm gonna do Doug?  I'm gonna get some fulminate of mercury and put it under the old mans rack and WHAM, WHAM, WHAM!"

Guess the movie!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
"You know what I'm gonna do Doug?  I'm gonna get some fulminate of mercury and put it under the old mans rack and WHAM, WHAM, WHAM!"

Guess the movie!

Mr. Roberts
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess the movie!

Mr. Roberts

One of my favorite movies!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top