Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 10:45:38 AM EDT
I am aware of an attempt in Washington to get a gun control law passed as part of a general election referendum. What I can't find are gun control laws that were voted into place by a general ballot. Have the existing gun control laws really come into play strictly through the acts of our elected officials? And if this is true can't a challenge be made on the grounds these laws are actually attempts to amend the constitution without resorting to an actual amendment?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am aware of an attempt in Washington to get a gun control law passed as part of a general election referendum. What I can't find are gun control laws that were voted into place by a general ballot.
Nor will you, aside from the denial of a CCL law in MO a few years back.

Have the existing gun control laws really come into play strictly through the acts of our elected officials?
Yes.

And if this is true can't a challenge be made on the grounds these laws are actually attempts to amend the constitution without resorting to an actual amendment?
No, as they're limited to the jurisdiction of the state. You could make this case for the 1986 & 1989 Ban though, IMO. I believe they all could be held un-Constitutional though, IMO. Violation of the 2nd Amendment & all that?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe a "gunshow loophole" law was passed by public referendum in Denver CO shortly after the Columbine crap (emotions were high), but it was overridden by pre-emption laws (a community can't pass or enact a law that is more restrictive than state law).
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am aware of an attempt in Washington to get a gun control law passed as part of a general election referendum. What I can't find are gun control laws that were voted into place by a general ballot.
Nor will you, aside from the denial of a CCL law in MO a few years back.

Have the existing gun control laws really come into play strictly through the acts of our elected officials?
Yes.

And if this is true can't a challenge be made on the grounds these laws are actually attempts to amend the constitution without resorting to an actual amendment?
No, as they're limited to the jurisdiction of the state. You could make this case for the 1986 & 1989 Ban though, IMO. I believe they all could be held un-Constitutional though, IMO. Violation of the 2nd Amendment & all that?

This is true at the state level. What about the 34, 68 and 86 federal GCAs? The majority of the state actions stem from these.

My point is this. The 2nd amendment is clear and plain english. Yet, the elected federal government has time and time again ignored their responsiblity to uphold the constitution. Yet, I see no challenge on this basis anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top