Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 9:54:33 AM EDT
I did a search and came up empty so this shouldn't be a dupe.

Kiowa Down

Battlefield Diaries: Kiowa Down

Mon, Sept. 26, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

A "routine mission" in Iraq on Sept. 4, 2004, turned into a raging firefight for Stryker troops with the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Scout Platoon, and B Company of the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, as they fought off heavy fire (including 60-mm mortars and RPGs) in a rescue mission launched after Iraqi insurgents shot down a Kiowa helicopter and swarmed to capture it and the two pilots. Kiowa Down has all the action and drama of Black Hawk Down, but with a happy ending. The soldiers of 5-20 said this mission was the most intense fight they had encountered since being deployed in December 2003. B Company killed 66 enemies, and the Scout Platoon killed 46. (There were also 17 wounded.) The number of Americans killed in action: zero. There were only five U.S. wounded, in addition to the two pilots.

Bomber

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
GO ARMY !!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
DVR has been set to record for a week!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, I just got a month free of this channel like 2 days ago and its all I have been watching.  I have a lab due tomorrow but even if I don't finish it I'm going to watch this show.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Kiowas make for some bad ass little gunships. I don't know where they are based locally, (Maybe Geeb) but they touch and go and the closed airfield here, along with Apaches all the time. Always fun to be doing sprints on the airstrip and have an Apache flare right over us  and land about half way farther down the runway from us and the pilot and gunner grinning.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If this is a fucking lame re-enactment, I am going to be pissed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The trailers have shown a loty of live fire including the video that has been posted here showing the group of 30 badguys get taken out by an airstrike....the "oh dude" video.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched it.  I thought it was one of the better things they've put on tv.  Some of my favorite parts:

"We'd all seen seen Black Hawk Down and the other videos.  We knew what would happen to the pilots if we didn't get to them."

They were determined to get not only the pilots but the wreckage out. They were not going to allow video of a bunch of lunitics dancing around the Kiowa shooting their AKs in the air as if this was some sort of victory.

When they called in the F16 strike "danger close" they didn't know it was a penetrator bomb, so at first they were all "Oh no! What a dinky explosion." Then They saw it took out the whole block. Then "All Right!"

The one sniper shot a guy aiming an RPG at them from a door way. A second guy picks up the RPG and tries to fire it, so he shoots him. Finally a third guy picked it up and runs away.  My friend who was watching with me turned to me and said, "The AI in my computer games is smarter than that!"

My absolute favorite part... 3.5 hour fire fight killiing more than 100 of those murderers & ZERO casualities among the rescuers! Go Army!

Although I was suprised that one of the new Strykers was disabled by a single RPG hit. Lucky shot?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Kiowas make for some bad ass little gunships. I don't know where they are based locally, (Maybe Geeb) but they touch and go and the closed airfield here, along with Apaches all the time. Always fun to be doing sprints on the airstrip and have an Apache flare right over us  and land about half way farther down the runway from us and the pilot and gunner grinning.

"Kiowa" and "Gunship" in the same sentence may give us a clue as to why they're getting shot down.  They were never intended as gunships, just as HMMWVs weren't meant to be loaded with armor and turned into "patrol vehicles" and "guntrucks".
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
ok so my fucking lab took me till like 1 to finish so i didn't see the show and i don't have a VCR.  I know it was on again at 2 but I had a class at 0740 today and wanted to get as much sleep as posible.  I asked the parents to record it at their house but don't know if they did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top