Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:36:25 AM EDT
Alright, how the hell do I handle a roomate who won't touch the fucking dishes.  At first it wasn't bad, we both did our parts in keeping the utensils, dishes, pots and pans clean, but then he got real lazy.  At first I put up with it and would grab whatever I was gonna use in the sink, clean it, use it, clean it again, then put it away in its proper place.  This worked for a bit, till I said screw it and started eating TV dinners and other non cleaning requiring food.  In only a matter of time sink became a pile of nasty dishes with an unbearable smell.  The pile was so high, it required moving dishes out of the sink just to fill up a glass at the faucet.  I said its not my mess and cleaned up, finding dish rags covered in rotting, fungus covered pasta and pasta sauce.  After telling him how bad it was he said "wow we gotta clean the dishes more often" .  Not understanding what he meant by "we" I figured maybe he accepted the fact that he should be more vigilant about cleaning.  Weeks later whats in the sink.  3 bowls with old mac and cheese (the staple of his diet), 2 pots with mac and cheese, a collander with macaroni, a measuring cup with mac and cheese (he was to lazy to clean off a bowl to use) and 2 plates with the remains of kroger pizza pals (his other food).  The remains of the 4th bowl and 2 missing plates are unknown, most likely, in his room.  Then today while making a salad, my big glass bowl I bought a few days ago went missing, only to be found in the living room smelling of cinammon toast crunch (his cereal).  What should I do,? destroy everything and buy paper plates he can dispose of,? remind him again to clean only so he forgets?....this is fucking annoying the hell out of me, the rotting pasta smell is returning
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they your dishes? Box 'em up and put in your room.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Throw the dirty dishes away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep reminding him to clean up his shit.  My roommate is a slob as well, and occasionally I just yell at him to clean his shit up.  It helps when you can specifically point out all of his dishes, and what he had in them (especially if you don't eat the Cinnamon Toast Crunch, pizza, whatever.)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would just tell him frankly that its a two way street.  You can wash one day, he the next.  If he doesn't wash on his days charge him $20 bucks.  Not to sound rude to you but, I wish I had petty problems like this.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
take the dirty, rotting dishes and put them on his bed and close his door.  it worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
take the dirty, rotting dishes and put them on his bed and close his door.  it worked for me.

Nice!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Throw the dirty dishes away.

That's what we did when we had this problem in college.

Everyone had their own plates (different colors and such) and plates that were in the sink more than 24 hrs went into the trash.

When I got older and wiser (the early post-college years) we used paper plates with those wicker-type "holders"
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Stack all the dirty dishes in the shower that way when he wants to wash his nasty ass he can do the dishes too!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem in college...we ended up getting in a fist fight over it...silly I know, but that's what it came to.

He's gonna get pissed if you put the dirty plates on his bed or in his bedroom, but it might work.  I emptied the sink of dirty plates and cups placed them all in a box and heaved it into my roommates room...emptying all of the filth onto his carpet.

He came home with his girlfriend after class, went to his room with g.f. in tow.  He was embarassed I'm sure.  That night he got drunk and decided he was a fighter.  We put a hole in the wall the size of his fat ass.  I made him pay for it when the landlord asked.

Lots of kids are used to their mommies picking up behind them and are to lazy or stupid to know how to respect other people.  

Eventually i moved out and got a place by myself...problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
We use paper plates. However, we run into this problem with pots and pans. For awhile we just watched to see who would cook and leave the stuff there. Then we would take it, and politely leave all the uncleaned things in their room.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Blanket

sock

bar of soap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
one of the many multitude of reasons to live alone. good luck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
paper plates, then hide your stuff for a while, when he asks where it all went just tell him you couldn't get it clean so you tossed it all but tell him to buy some new stuff, he will take care of it if he paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
How does a brief interlude of swift and merciless violence sound to you?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Give him:

1 plate,

1 bowl.

1 cup.

1 fork.

1 knife.

1 spoon.

You'll never have dirty dishes again.. I did this with a roommate who did the same as yours, and we even had a dishwasher.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We use paper plates. However, we run into this problem with pots and pans. For awhile we just watched to see who would cook and leave the stuff there. Then we would take it, and politely leave all the uncleaned things in their room.

Paper plates, paper bowles, microwave.  No more clean-up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell your room mate to pick-up after his lazy ass or get the hell out or simply throw the pots, pans and dishes out.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm SO glad I live alone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How does a brief interlude of swift and merciless violence sound to you?  

I just stole that sentence for use as an away message on AOL instant messenger.  Nicely turned phrase.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Wash them. Put them in cupboard. Padlock cupboard. Keep the key. Tell him he can buy and use paper plates.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
In college I put them in the offender's bed.

It worked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Give him:

1 plate,

1 bowl.

1 cup.

1 fork.

1 knife.

1 spoon.

You'll never have dirty dishes again.. I did this with a roommate who did the same as yours, and we even had a dishwasher.

Genius.  That's great.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll get around to it when I'm ready.  Now get off my back!!!

(Edit ---> )
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paper plates, paper bowles, microwave.  No more clean-up.

+1

I had a roomate like this once.  It was either that, or hire a maid and make him pay the bill.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1.

It's not that he can't take a hint, he's counting on you NOT being as big an asshole as he is.

Screw up his bed, and be prepared for confrontation.

Also, go to pier 1 and pick up a 2-4 place setting deal, you can get plates, bowls and silerware for next to nothing.

Keep it in your room , take it out, use it, wash it and put it away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#26]
hmmm maybe my roomate surfs this site or something, but apparently he shaped up.  Yesterday I cleaned up the whole mess since the the smell was so bad.  Went to work last night, come back this morning, and there where clean dishes sitting in the drying rack.  Sure, he didn't put them away too, but its a big step up from when he went through all the dishes, then resorted to eating mac and cheese out of the measuring cup rather than going through the effort of washing a single dish.  Hopefully he keeps this up, but most likely it won't happen and I'll use Daytona955i's paperplate/shoving dirty pots and pans into his room.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#27]
get rid of all but one serving of dishes. Everyone will have to wash before they use.

or else go to paper.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Jerk off in his shampoo until things are fixed
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It works !!
We had "Slobbo the Roomate" back in college who never ever got around to doing his turn at the sink...so we let it pile up for 3 days, then we dumped it all (grunge water included) on his bed and tied the four corners of his sheets in a nice big knot.

He never missed doing his turn again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#30]
My roommates and I have a rule if you use a dish you wash that dish.

Sunburn
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Jerk off in his shampoo until things are fixed

Thats just wrong
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]
BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good luck with that one! I've been working on getting mine to brush off food before it goes into the dish washer for over a year. I don't trust him to do hand-washed dishes aymore.

Baby steps..

Baby steps.. kicking the roommate's ass..
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Urinate on the pile of dirty dishes & let the hilarity ensue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like my wife.

Good luck, if he's anything like she is he'll never change.

At work, if anyone leaves any dirty dishes in the sink or old nasty fungi-encrusted dishes in the fridge then they go straight to the trash.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Our rule:  If shit sits in the sink for more than 24 hours, it gets put on the person's bed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I once had a roommate who refused to buy toilet paper.  Now this is kind of gross but this particular story may come in handy here after about 6 weeks of me being the only person in the household to buy toilet paper and paper towels I had enough.  I took every single piece of toilet paper/Paper towel, napkins and notebook paper in the apartment and locked them up in my bedroom.  Take that as you may but it worked really well for me suddenly a 48 pack of Charmin was in the bathroom closet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top