Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 6:10:41 AM EDT
I was sighting [sp?] in my rifle yesterday [buck season opens next Saturday] and I had a horrible time.  I was able to shoot near perfectly with open sights but the husband didn't like that so he put a scope on all my rifles.  Now when I try to focus - I weave a bit here and there and it makes me car sick.

The hubby gave me a box of shells and told me to practice but I can't seem to get it right.  The darn rifle kicks like a rank mule so I have to concentrate on holding it square in my shoulder and if I weave even a little bit I seriously get an upset stomach.

AT 200 yards I was shooting about 3" high and about 2" to the right.  I figure I'm pulling to the right when I squeeze the trigger but either way, that tight of a pattern is going to screw up a little Mule Deer's day.

Any suggestions?

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Wear heavy clothes when you practice so the recoil doesn't bother you.

Better yet, get a .243.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a little late to be learning a new sighting system for a rifle with one week to go.  If you shoot better with open sights, take of the scope and use the open sights.

On the other hand, that bullet placement will kill a deer at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same problem with all my rifles.  I just can't focus properly with the scope.  If I move even the slightest I get car sick.  I have this same problems watching my kids play games on the computer or nintendo.  I don't know why.  

I have a scope on my AR and I've been shooting my deer with it and doing all right but I still hit low.  I can't tell you how many bucks I've shot with a leg blown away.  However,  I'm worse target practicing.

The recoil of my .340 doesn't bother me when I'm hunting but its not a lot of fun to sight in.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
What about a 0x magnification red dot?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
What magnification are you using? If you're using a 3x9 on 9x try dialing it back to 3x and go up from there if you need too.
200yds at 3x is a 70yd shot, easy stuff. I cant really see the utility of scopes over three power unless you're shooting from a bench or a rest.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Try keeping both of your eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Take the scope off your rifle.  If you're shooting fine with irons, stick with them!

I've got friends who insist that you have to use a scope when hunting.  They're the same people who can't hit the broad side of  a barn unless they have a scope.  Their opinions are worth about what I paid
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, I concur. At least dial the power down. If that's not enough, put the scope back in the closet. I've had the same experience with major magnification and video games. On a side note, I did a "ride" in Vegas a few years ago, sitting in an Indy car simulator. I didn't perform very well cuz I had to concentrate on NOT throwing up the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What magnification are you using? If you're using a 3x9 on 9x try dialing it back to 3x and go up from there if you need too.
200yds at 3x is a 70yd shot, easy stuff. I cant really see the utility of scopes over three power unless you're shooting from a bench or a rest.

It is a 3x9 set on 9.  If I dial it down to 3 do I still need to shoot it?  Or will it be on target still?  I hate shooting it this close to buck season, if I don't have too.

I tried shooting iwth both eyes open, that was worse.  I would rip the thing off if I could.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a 3x9 set on 9.  If I dial it down to 3 do I still need to shoot it?  Or will it be on target still?  I hate shooting it this close to buck season, if I don't have too.

I tried shooting iwth both eyes open, that was worse.  I would rip the thing off if I could.

Patty

If it is sighted in at 9x it will still be on at 3x.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried shooting with both eyes open, that was worse.  I would rip the thing off if I could.

Patty

If it is sighted in at 9x it will still be on at 3x.

If it's a quality scope. Of course the only way to be sure is to shoot it.

You weave about with open sights too. You just can't see it as much. A lower power will not show the weaving about like a higher power and likely not cause the car sickness as easily.

If you still can't stand the 3x take the scope off and use the open sights or a unmagnified red dot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You need a new husband.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Go out and take a couple shots at 3x.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#14]
lower magnification will reduce the sea sickness a little for ya.  If that dosen't solve the problem shoot irons.  There are some who think that a scope is necessary, but if you can hit without one, why bother?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Patty... Set  the scope to the 3X position and leave it there. As for the high and right.. Your jerking the trigger while the scope is bobbling around. Let it bobble, dont fight it. Try and let it move in a x pattern over the target. When the crosshairs cross the target then squeeze.

Whats happing now is your fighting the scope, dont fight it. relax...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Here are a couple steps that may help you.

1.  Place a cheek rest on the stock and get it set to the proper elevation.  That means that when your cheek is on the rest, you eye is looking straight down the tube and on target.  Do this on a bench, preferbly on a bipod.

2.  Turn power down to lowest setting.  Loosen the scope rings and move the scope closer or further away until the paralax goes away.  You may need someone to help you move and set it so that you get it just right.  

3.  Sight in the scope.  When aiming, do not look down the scope first.  The first thing to do is to move the rifle into the position you think it should be aimed.  Then look down the tube.  Don't focus on the cross hairs.  If you set the scope up properly with the cheek rest, the cross hairs will always be at the center of your focal point.  

4.  When a deer is walking through the woods, do not X it and follow until you get a clear shot.  Rather, put it where you think it will go and wait till it gets on target for a clean, clear shot.  This will help reduce the motion sickness.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
lower magnification will reduce the sea sickness a little for ya.  If that dosen't solve the problem shoot irons.  There are some who think that a scope is necessary, but if you can hit without one, why bother?

You need a new husband.

+1.6

Seriously, why would he care if your scoped or irons?

Edit:  There are a lot of guys who would love to have a woman who is dead on with irons.... and tall.... and blonde....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you, I'll try this.  I'll give it a few shots today.  What the heck!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Try a rest Patty. Either shooting sticks or bi pod.
Are you shooting with glasses on?

Oh and breath
CH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh and breath
CH

No Glasses.  I was shooting off a rest but quite frankly the rest was rather low.  In order to use it I either had to kneel on the ground [that got old quickly] or lean way forward.  Still not terribly practical since when I'm out hunting I'll just be standing and shooting.  

I'll give the bi-pod/shooting sticks a thought.  Can you Farmerize something to work or do I need to go out and buy one?

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a new husband.

+1.6

Edit:  There are a lot of guys who would love to have a woman who is dead on with irons.... and tall.... and blonde....

Thank you.  In his defense he was trying to be helpful.  He has scopes on his rifle.  I wish he would take them off but he thinks I need to get used to them.  

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and breath
CH

No Glasses.  I was shooting off a rest but quite frankly the rest was rather low.  In order to use it I either had to kneel on the ground [that got old quickly] or lean way forward.  Still not terribly practical since when I'm out hunting I'll just be standing and shooting.  

I'll give the bi-pod/shooting sticks a thought.  Can you Farmerize something to work or do I need to go out and buy one?

Patty

Farmerize! Capes new word for hte day!
Try THIS

CH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a new husband.

+1.6

Thank you.  In his defense he was trying to be helpful.  He has scopes on his rifle.  I wish he would take them off but he thinks I need to get used to them.  

Patty

Hey, tell him just because HE needs training wheels and you know how to ride a two wheeler... why should YOU have to put training wheels on also???

JUST KIDDING MR PATTY!!!

I do actually like what JoseyWales said.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
BTW.. You BETTER post pics of whatever you get.... RIGHT????
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
BTW.. You BETTER post pics of whatever you get.... RIGHT????

And pics of you getting it too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have the same problem with all my rifles.  I just can't focus properly with the scope.  If I move even the slightest I get car sick.  I have this same problems watching my kids play games on the computer or nintendo.  I don't know why.  

I have a scope on my AR and I've been shooting my deer with it and doing all right but I still hit low.  I can't tell you how many bucks I've shot with a leg blown away.  However,  I'm worse target practicing.

The recoil of my .340 doesn't bother me when I'm hunting but its not a lot of fun to sight in.

Patty

a .340 weatherby is a little on the large side for deer, IMHO

Keep the scope at the lowest power.  If you need magnification for longer shots, you'll have time to crank it up.

If you are consistantly high and right, it is time to use those knobs and adjust the sights.  Not where hubby sighted it in?  Tough, your the one shooting it, adjust it to your needs.

Remember bullet placement is far more important than power.  22lr's have brought down elephants.

There is a reason they call it hunting, not killing.

Good luck and have fun.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wear heavy clothes a bikini when you practice so the recoil doesn't bother you you distract anyone watching you and they won't even notice how you're shooting.

Better yet, get a .243.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#28]
If your eyes are good and you can shoot well with irons, why on earth would you let him put optics on your rifles?
I'd pull them off; when my vision is fully-corrected, I have zero problems making X shots as far as the rifle/ammo will allow me; not relying on a scope to see my target has many other advantages, too, as well as giving me the ability to snap-shoot (much easier with irons).

Are they at least quality optics?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Any suggestions?

uh - Shit-can the scope?

if you were shooting just fine before, go back!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a dramamine before you go hunting. Deer can smell puke.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the same problem with all my rifles.  I just can't focus properly with the scope.  If I move even the slightest I get car sick.  I have this same problems watching my kids play games on the computer or Nintendo.  I don't know why.  

Patty

a .340 weatherby is a little on the large side for deer, IMHO

Keep the scope at the lowest power.  If you need magnification for longer shots, you'll have time to crank it up.

If you are consistently high and right, it is time to use those knobs and adjust the sights.  Not where hubby sighted it in?  Tough, your the one shooting it, adjust it to your needs.

Remember bullet placement is far more important than power.  22lr's have brought down elephants.

There is a reason they call it hunting, not killing.

Good luck and have fun.

SRM

I generally use my AR for deer and my .340 for elk -- however I was thinking of using the .340 for the bucks this year as hunting is rather scares and I can hit one from a mile a way this way.  I did practice with the scope on lower magnification today and it did help.  I really prefer the open sights though.

I'm a little leary this close to hunting season doing anything but I really wish the scope wasn't on my rifles.

I didn't have any say in putting the scopes on but if I don't get 'lucky' you'll be darn certain they'll come off.  

Good idea with the bikini, however since I live in the middle of no where and the only one that will see me is my husband and I doubt he cares if I'm wearing a bikini or carharts

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top