Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 12:32:08 AM EDT
In 2001: A Space Odyssey, what was the monolith? I have seen the move but never read any of the books. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It was a bone thrown up in the air. Doy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, haven't seen the movie...but Hey Loki!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Ill accept that answer.  Hiya back at ya.

Quoted:
I don't know, haven't seen the movie...but Hey Loki!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I loosely interpreted it as "everything beyond our human conception"
A "Higher Power" if you will...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally, the monolith was a technological machine belonging to aliens in space, one of hundreds of such monoliths sent to Earth to test, teach and transform the apes into higher-order beings.  Later on, it was able to do much more.  It was a probe, communicator, space transport and star creator.  It pretty much became whatever the author needed it to be.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Originally, the monolith was a technological machine belonging to aliens in space, one of hundreds of such monoliths sent to Earth to test, teach and transform the apes into higher-order beings.  Later on, it was able to do much more.  It was a probe, communicator, space transport and star creator.  It pretty much became whatever the author needed it to be.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In 2001: A Space Odyssey, what was the monolith?

It was a plot device.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, looked like a huge friggin' piece of black granite to me.

On another note, Serenity opens this Friday, it doesn't have a monolith, but it's got reavers!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was a symbol of Freudian, male genitalia-preoccupation.

Damn, was I off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
"....its full of stars."
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 well put. One of my favorite movies and book series.

(still need to finish the Odyssey series... And Rama too...)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
<cures monolith music>
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
In 2001 it telepathically educated primitive humans and made them more aggressive, leading them to become prosperous killers and hunters instead of starving prey. The one what's-his-face got sucked into ("it's full of stars!") transported him to a facsimile of a hotel room. When he fell asleep, he was transformed into a demi-god being ("star child") to serve the masters of the monoliths.

I forget what it did in 2010 and 2060, but in 3001, a monolith in orbit around Jupiter mass-produced itself and turned Jupiter into a second star. Another one on one of Jupiter's moons began telepathically educating moving seaweed monsters like the first one had humans millions of years ago, while producing a force field to keep humans from landing on the moon and interfering with the budding civilization there. I think they blew up yet another monolith by giving it a computer virus from what's-his-face when he rebelled against the monolith builders.

The civilization that built the monoliths was "dead" by the time humans became a true civilization. They had lost interest in wandering the galaxy seeding worlds with monoliths as experiments (make some species sentient faster than others, etc.) and over time they "evolved": their minds were transferred into giant interstellar starships/robots, then later turned into "pure thought" and they became god-like beings.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#15]
We were supposed to use it to reinforce the levees in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]
It's dimensions were 1x4x9.  The squares of 1-2-3.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We were supposed to use it to reinforce the levees in New Orleans.

Oh, snap!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I couldn't understand what was going on in that movie.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In 2001: A Space Odyssey, what was the monolith? I have seen the move but never read any of the books. Anyone know?

I read the book, saw the movie as it came out, and I still don't know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

kinda like a God.........
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In 2001 it telepathically educated primitive humans and made them more aggressive, leading them to become prosperous killers and hunters instead of starving prey. The one what's-his-face got sucked into ("it's full of stars!") transported him to a facsimile of a hotel room. When he fell asleep, he was transformed into a demi-god being ("star child") to serve the masters of the monoliths.

I forget what it did in 2010 and 2060, but in 3001, a monolith in orbit around Jupiter mass-produced itself and turned Jupiter into a second star. Another one on one of Jupiter's moons began telepathically educating moving seaweed monsters like the first one had humans millions of years ago, while producing a force field to keep humans from landing on the moon and interfering with the budding civilization there. I think they blew up yet another monolith by giving it a computer virus from what's-his-face when he rebelled against the monolith builders.

The civilization that built the monoliths was "dead" by the time humans became a true civilization. They had lost interest in wandering the galaxy seeding worlds with monoliths as experiments (make some species sentient faster than others, etc.) and over time they "evolved": their minds were transferred into giant interstellar starships/robots, then later turned into "pure thought" and they became god-like beings.

Actually that happened in 2010.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

kinda like a God.........

It was more like the swiss army knife of the Gods.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#23]
It was a McGuffin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]
it should be banned!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think they blew up yet another monolith by giving it a computer virus from what's-his-face when he rebelled against the monolith builders.

That was Dave from 2001.

In 2001, when Dave was absorbed (thus killed sadly) by the Jupiter monolith ("my god its full of stars") his memories and knowledge were assimilated by the monolith and transmitted (at the speed of light) to the monolith creators.

When the creators received the Dave info, they found out how violent humans are and ordered the Jupiter monolith to destroy the humans to prevent them from spreading.  

So the humans destroyed the Jupiter monolith because "Dave" warns them. (It also helped that the Jovan monolith was wearing out.  It was infact, just a machine that is millions of years old.  The author felt that the creators, though advanced, were not perfect. Thus their monolith machines, while powerful, were not indestructible/ageless)

Out of breath.. must rest...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to really like Clarke's novels and short stories
until I found out he liked little boys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I ran across this about a year ago ...

www.kubrick2001.com

EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about 2001 in a cool flash animation.

I saw the movie and read the book, but this answers ALL questions ...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

AHhhhh!!!!!  Ewwwww

*runs away*,
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I couldn't understand what was going on in that movie.  

Welcome to the world of Stanley Kubrick.  He was a product of the '60s, with all that implies, and it showed in a number of ways throughout his career.  In case you hadn't guessed, I have a fairly strong dislike of his work.  Yes, even Full Metal Jacket.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Really?  Maybe that's why he lives in Sri Lanka now.  

Edited to add...after doing some research, I found that the accusation of child molestation were never proven and the charges were dropped.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Tagged for when I'm awake enough to break out my 2010 DVD with the 'making of' documentary.  Clarke did address this very question, but I can't remember what his answer was.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#32]
It's....
A COOKBOOK!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's....

A COOKBOOK!

Is it titled To Serve Man?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Maybe that's why he lives in Sri Lanka now.  

Edited to add...after doing some research, I found that the accusation of child molestation were never proven and the charges were dropped.

Same could be said of MJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top