Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 8:55:19 PM EDT
My Exploder is doing something odd, or at least new to me and wondering what the cause is.

On every vehicle I've owned with an overfill tank, the tank levels off to "cold" level after driving...in other words there are two conditions I see it in, "hot" & "cold".

This truck, however, is odd. Sometimes after driving it and it sitting, after it cools off I check the level in the fill tank and it's clear up near the top. When I check the radiator, it's low. If I drive the vehicle, it draws from the tank and goes down. Sometimes when cold it's at the "cold" fill line and the radiator is topped off....other times not.

What's causing this, and is it something I should worry about? Might be something really common, but I've never experienced it.

TIA
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace your radiator cap and see if that doesn't cure it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Stuck Thermostat maybe? Not letting coolant to move the way its supposed to. Does the temp fluctuate at all?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stuck Thermostat maybe? Not letting coolant to move the way its supposed to. Does the temp fluctuate at all?

Yeah, it does go up and down but it always has and I've replaced the t-stat twice with good OEM ones, and checked them in boiling water to make sure they open correctly. I've been told it's really common on explorers.

The fluctuation isn't big, tho....moves maybe 1/8 to 1/3 of the meter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Brand new OEM cap on it. That was the first thing I tried.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brand new OEM cap on it. That was the first thing I tried.

Well then how about the overflow hose? Any cracks in it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
New hoses, new T-stat, new radiator cap, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for daylighters.

I guess my real question is, what would cause the engine/radiator, as it cools off, not to create a vacuum and draw in the cooler resevoir fluid? Shouldn't it, as the engine sits and cools, draw that back into the motor to the "cold" line again?

The only thing I can think of is a leak somewhere, but I don't seem to have a leak anywhere.

?? So confused!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bump for daylighters.

I guess my real question is, what would cause the engine/radiator, as it cools off, not to create a vacuum and draw in the cooler resevoir fluid? Shouldn't it, as the engine sits and cools, draw that back into the motor to the "cold" line again?

The only thing I can think of is a leak somewhere, but I don't seem to have a leak anywhere.

?? So confused!

Check the hose clamps , especially the Mobia spring type clamps .
Clean the necks of any corrosion/deposits and reinstall .
It's not unusual to find spring clamps that hold pressure
but leak under vacuum .

Another thing , depending on the year and motor is leaking
intake gaskets .

The bad thing about the 4.0 . Even though it's one of fords better
motors is that they tend to use coolant their whole life . So you are
always topping off the coolant .
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My Exploder is doing something odd, or at least new to me and wondering what the cause is.
TIA

Well atleast you know what your driving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top