Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 8:28:03 PM EDT
www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/ultrlight_series/exstream_bottle/

This is supposed to a water purifier that you can dip into a creek or river or whatever and then drink. Anyone ever heard of them? They run about $50. I'm thinking about getting one for my SHTF gear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally ghey.  $50 for some water purification crap?   Eyshhh..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not the ghey.  If you are patient then the cheap filters work.  

I used a higher end Katadyn filter (2 people for 38 days) back in '86 and scored the crap out of it because of its poor design.  But overall it  worked.  They have had nearly 20 years to improve on designs and I have no doubt it will work as advertised.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one in my SHTF kit.  It is well built and will keep my drinking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one in my bugout bag fo SHTF purposes.  

I have better one for camping/hiking.  They sure as hell beat water purification tablets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the pump-type filters, myself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
What about letting the sediment settle out of the water and then boiling it for a few minutes?

Does the filter do better?

My father showed me how to do this on a backpacking trip....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about letting the sediment settle out of the water and then boiling it for a few minutes?

Does the filter do better?

My father showed me how to do this on a backpacking trip....

PV,

These portable filter systems can filter out bacteria and viruses if you buy the right model and filters.  MSI also makes these filter systems.

I will be buying one for my BOB soon, as soon as I'm learn a littlebit more about the various models.

It is recommended that you use some type fo pre-filter on the water first (coffee filter will work) before running it through the main filter so you don't clog it up with larger particulates.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
TRG and I were plinking on some land in east TX.  It was about 100 deg outside.

He pulled his Katydin out, went to some water, and filled up a 1 liter bottle.  He put in the chlorine drops to make sure, and in a few minutes, we were drinking some water.  

Worked very well, and the source water was nothing that I would have been interested in.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
IF you want the straight dope on filters, there are a metric assload of threads post-NOLA on them-look for them in the survival forum.

I use a Katadyn Pocket-I can't speak for all their designs, but the Pocket is great and the Exstream gets good magazine reveiws. Remember though, it's only good for 26 gallons. If you want a filter that will hold you over for a while you'll have to get a ceramic filter. The Pocket will do 13,000gal. before a replacement cartridge is needed. That's a rediculous amount of water, there are many other brands on the market that will give ample water for less money but aren't as stout. The next best thing is the First Need, followed by MSR's filters.

Hope this helps-check out those threads!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the pocket filter.was 250.00 back in the mid 90's but it's a security that can only be matched by my paraord.p14.45 with a full mag of 230gr hollowpoints. I love mine!

I can get water anywhere,anytime, for about 6-8 months in a shtf situation, now that's peace of mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The MSRs are better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
MSR's are indeed nice.

I bought a katadyn a few years back, pump style with the ceramic and carbon filters.  I've used it quite a bit and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
MSR's are indeed nice.

I bought a katadyn a few years back, pump style with the ceramic and carbon filters.  I've used it quite a bit and haven't had any problems.

Where did you buy yours?

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the katadyn pocket.

You can make ditch water potable with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I invite people who are interested in water filters to visit the ARFCOM surival forum. We have many threads going discussion various aspects of different water filter/purifiers, including Sweetwater, MSR,  etc
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]

They work, but they're a bitch when you get to the point you're cooking.  Sure you can boil/filter water, but overall I find my PUR hiker to be just plain old easier overall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top