Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:26:50 PM EDT
Went shooting Saturday morning, and a nice fellow let me shoot his SA Socom 16.
What a cool F'n rifle!
So I priced one out, talk about sticker shock! $1595!
Not to mention the uber-cool Sage cage at 600 bones, too bad the cool shit always costs so much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How accurate was it, and did the short barrel seem to increase muzzle blast? I love the look and heft of the SOCOM but have no experience shooting any of the M1A rifles.

GL
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How accurate was it, and did the short barrel seem to increase muzzle blast? I love the look and heft of the SOCOM but have no experience shooting any of the M1A rifles.

GL

It was right on. Now I was shooting at 50ft (indoor range) off-hand.
I expected it to kick like a mule, but with 168gr BH Match ammo it was very controlable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one real bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The muzzle definitely barks loudly but muzzle rise is really controlled.
I shot mine for the first time today but It's having problems. Too tight a chamber.
After about 10-15 rounds the shell gets stuck in the barrel due to the heat. When it cools down enough the same problem happens all over again. I have to send mine back
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Springfield has a good warranty. I've got a GI 1911A1. The first time out, the rear sight came so loose it wouldn't stick in the dovetail at all. They fixed it - free shipping both ways. I handled a SOCOM 16 in the gunshop today. So did my girlfriend. We both like it, not having shot it.

GL
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to have a short barreled M1A too.

I think the Scout version with it's 18" barrel and standard gas tube is the way I'm going to go.
But the SOCOM is one hell of a nice rifle also.....it's a toss up between the two.

I saw a NIB Socom this weekend for $1429, so shop around.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to have one too, but I allready have a Super Match M1A, so is hard to justify right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I was between the scout and the socom last year, couldn't make up my mind and was reading to many springfield unreliable quality anymore posts in the m1 message boards, so I hesitated, now I can't afford 1.
Would likely go with the socom for the shorter barrel and for a rugged terrain brush gun. If I can re enlist into the national guard or eventually make it to the south with 1 of  those high paying hurricane rebuilding crews I hope to buy 1.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think the Scout version with it's 18" barrel and standard gas tube is the way I'm going to go.

I went and checked out Springflield's website after reading your post and found this;

Damn, add this to my wish list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top