Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 5:11:51 PM EDT
Can't stand commercial radio anymore. I am looking for best programming and a way to bring it inside and transfer between two trucks. I really don't want to get two recievers unless that's not much more money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
wife & I each have sirius in our trucks & like it alot. I usually listen to music, she listens to news feeds and such.

don't know much about xm

you can move your receiver inside your home & listen to it thru your stereo, or you can connect to their website & listen thru your computer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My mom's Trailblazer came with 3 months of XM free, and my dad just renewed the XM.  We don't listen to it too much, but it has some good stations.  They IIRC make a unit that can be transferred from car to car, and they make a home unit, but I'm not sure.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag... I have XM ready cd player but want to make sure that XM is the route I want to go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have XM and like it.

I listen to cable news on my commute.
I have my choice of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News.

Being the right-wing nut job that I am, guess which one I listen to?

XM has a lot of music too
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had XM going on two years.  Commercial radio rots the brain.

I cannot comment XM vs Sirius, as I have only listened to XM for any extended period of time.  I am sure over time, tuners will be AM, FM, XM, Sirius.  After that, in true ARFCom fashion, you could get both!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife got me Sirius for my B-day,  I asked for XM. Glad she got the Sirius unit. I belive that there are more channels on Sirius and My afternoon drives would suck without Mike Church.

Edit to add:

She got the Starmate unit which, like most, you can transfer from vehicle to vehicle and they have a home unit which I just picked up today so I can listen to Gun Talk on Sundays. Sirius charges $6.00 a month for additional recievers as opposed to $12 or $13 per month for the primary reciever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
XM and only cause that's what I started with. You can listen to it on the PC and they have walkman type units, Sirius does not...yet. I mostly listen to O&A and comedy channels, Ron and Fez sucks.
Sirius does have NRA radio XM does not but the general programming is very similar.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
XM does have a "conservative talk" channel but they have Air America(ugh)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
O & A PARTY ROCK!

I have XM and love it. Neer tried Sirius, but don't have a need to. I rarely listen to public radio anymore. I thought music would be the big seller, but instead it is the major news networks, Weather Channel, talk radio, and "morning" talk shows that do it for me. The music channels are good too. You can see what band and song are playing, scroll through other stations while listening to one. Get the SkyFiII and you can use it like a DVR. I have the Rodie II and wish I would have spent the few extra bucks. Can't go wrong with XM.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm actually listening to XM right now, (O&A).
XM just added 10 new online only channels which are all pretty nice. If I were you I would take advantage of the free trials you can get from both companies and just listen to them both and make your own decison. I think you'll see that 99% of sat. radio users can't really offer impartial advice cause they all either have one or the other.

I can tell you that I definately am happy I have it, commecial radio does truly blow these days and I'm a big fan of talk radio and really apreciate actually hearing some talk instead of a few random phrases in between hours of commercials.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Which prominent conservative talk hosts are missing, if any?  Can I listen to Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have listened to both and I think Sirius has better rock stations. If you like classic rock, alternative, hard rock, get Sirius. If you get Dish Network you get Sirius stations for free through the tv.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my XM.

I have the el cheapo and portable Roady2.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can I listen to Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage?

On XM:  No.  No - Factor on Fox Simulcast.  No.  Yes.  No.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I both have Sirius in our vehicles and it is great.  Fox news channel, 2 conservative talk channels (1 even carries NRA News) and a great selection of commerical free music channels.  I haven't listened to very much of XM but the Sirius lineup seems a little better.  You can listen to a preview of both XM and Sirius from their websites and once you subscribe you can listen to them anytime over the web.

Sirius is changing the channel linup next week.  Nothing too big, just adding a few new channels and rearranging the rest to group channels they've added ove rthe past few months with similar existing channels.  For example, they recently added BBC 1 from London and the new lineup will put it with the pop music stations instead of being grouped with the Latin/World stations.

ETA: that one cool thing about Siriuis is the DJs.  I'm not sure how XM does it but on Sirius they get people are well suited to the genre on teh station.  Usually people who were DJs in a big market like LA or NYC at stations playing the genre and generation of music.  The 80s channel has the original MTV VJs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Sirius has NRA News and Gun Talk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
tag til tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Sirius.  Been using it for about 3 months now.  Don't know why I waited so long to get it.  Commercial free music of all sorts of genres.  You like rock?  There's a few stations with different types of rock.  You like country, they've got stations that play popular country and stations that play the older country.  They've got a bluegrass only station.  There's an all Elvis station.  They've got all major sports except for MLB.

The talk and political channels do have commercials since I think they're nationwide shows that also play on regular radio.  But you've got a left-wing channel and a righ-wing channel.  FoxNews is on there too.  Best talk channel I've found is Patriot which has Laura Ingram, G Gordon Liddy, NRA News, and Michael Reagan.  On Sundays, Patriot does some sort of "call in with your gun questions and problems" sort of show.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Rented a SUV that had Sirius...

Other than the NCAA final Four games, All we listened to was Backspin 43. That was reason enuff for me to consider getting it for my car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Which prominent conservative talk hosts are missing, if any?  Can I listen to Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage?

Hugh Hewett? Michael Medved? Mike Gallagher? Michael Reagan?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
i bought a clarion calypso Sirius unit 2 months ago. best money Ive ever spent...The unit looks great and the channels are great. I havent listened to regular radio or even cd's in my truck since ive gotten the sirius. cant comment on the XM..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have XM and like it.

I listen to cable news on my commute.
I have my choice of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News.

Being the right-wing nut job that I am, guess which one I listen to?

XM has a lot of music too

Ditto for me. FoxNews is on all the time, if I'm not listening to channel 166
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I had XM for two years, and I was never really happy with the music channels.

Then I got Dish Network Satellite TV, which has the Sirius music channels included. I took one listen and said "XM sucks donkey dick." I switched to Sirius and I have not looked back.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a newer unit, and the Kenwood H2E looks like the best one on the market to me (for "Plug-and Play" units)

Kenwood H2E from Crutchfield.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Love my XM. I have the skyfi and it goes in my POV, my work car, and my home.  XM has MLB, Nascar, and Opie and Anthony (IMHO better than Stern).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about upgrading to a newer unit, and the Kenwood H2E looks like the best one on the market to me (for "Plug-and Play" units)

We've got teh Sportster Replay in both vehicles and it works well.  My only complaint is that in some areas it can be hard to find an open freq to use.  I'll be wiring it direct to the antennae sooner or later.

Rented a car for a trip last month and it only took about 5 minutes to move a unit over to the rental so we could keep the good music playing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I have serius, simply because they offerred a slightly larger selection of conservative talk.

What has pissed me off in recent weeks is the fact they're playing football during the weekends!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Sirius because of the selection of Rock music they have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I chose XM because of the deal with MLB.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top