Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 3:43:46 PM EDT
Guys, you know how Sam Spade and other Hollywood-detective types always had a "Colt .45" in their pockets that they'd point through the material at people?

What would happen if you tried to fire the damn thing through the pocket? It'd bet it would jack you up good, I think, maybe even light your trench coat on fire. The recoiling slide would whale into your hip...

I'd rather doubt you'd get much of a chance of a followup shot, either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It would make a hole in your coat and tear the pocket when the slide recoiled.  It wouldn't do anything crazy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was a teen i ran with some kids that thought they were tough guy thugs.
One had a .38 in his jacket when we got jumped by some rivals. In the scuffle my friend tried to pull his gun, but couldn't get it out of his winter jacket.
He accidentally fired it thru the coat! No one got hit by the round, everyone ran and his coat was on fire! He ran so fast it put out the flames.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I took a Concealed Carry class where we had to empty a .38 while it was in the pocket of a light nylon jacket. It caught the jacket on fire, but from 2 feet away it was pretty effective for putting 5 holes in a silhoute.

I wouldn't try it with an auto though. You might get one round off, but the gun would become an inseperable part of your jacket.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The slide may jam after the first shot and you have to worry about fire especially if you are wearing any kind of artificial material.  Nylon will go up in an instant.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
One more thing...

The gun store that I used to go to in Michigan was always telling people that one of the features of the S&W J Frames was that they could be fired from inside a pocket it necessary.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One more thing...

The gun store that I used to go to in Michigan was always telling people that one of the features of the S&W J Frames was that they could be fired from inside a pocket it necessary.

Are they hammerless or something? I'd be concerned about catching any hammer on a gun on the material in the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One more thing...

It's true, as long as they're hammerless.  The J-frames are the best CCW gun in that you will always have the jump on the BG as long as you're wearing a jacket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top