Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 2:51:10 PM EDT
Ok, I've just been p0wned severely this afternoon.   Here is what happened:

Here is my thread from a few months ago about waving to fellow cyclists, only to be snubbed by them, because I didn't have all the "gear".....or for whatever reason

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=372098

Fastforward to today; I'm riding out on my usual ride and here comes a cyclist the other day....all decked out.....

I go ahead and give him a little wave with my fingers, and low and behold, he waves back!

I think: "Damn, I'm gonna have to post this on ARFCOM when I get home."

Then the pOwned part happens.
The guy suddenly comes up from behind me(he has had to stop, going down hill, turn around, and overtake me) and passes me like I'm standing still and says, I shit you not:

"Hey, I waved to you, the least you could do is wave back!"

I said, "Hey!, I did.  Didn't you see my hand?" Followed by, "How's it going." Now recognizing him as the bike shop owner that I bought my bike from.

He turned around and headed back the way he had been going, leaving me feeling like a chump.....overtaken by a guy 10yrs my senior, and done rather quickly I might add.

Granted he had a road bike that cost about 14X the value of my $400 mountain bike, but still.  I thought I was in better shape than that.  I run 3-4x a week, and bike 3x a week.  I'm pretty fit, but this guy made me feel like a dork.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
bump.

What?  No one found the slightly amusing?  Ironic?  Pathetic?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
el oh el
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Your use of smileys has throughly "p0wned" me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying really hard not to think about a guy in spandex while reading your story. That said, you should have drawn down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess you'd have to be a biker to understand?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's pretty funny. You do know why we don't wave back, right? We're too busy chuckling at your:

1. Hairy legs
2. Knee-high socks
3. Low seat position
4. Wrongly positioned helmet
5. Molasses cadence which must be killing your knees
6. Lack of flat kit
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
just be glad he didn't jam a stick in your spokes
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now THAT would be pretty fuckin' funny!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Huffy riders need lovin too!

.....oh and  Patty
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT would be pretty fuckin' funny!  

I did that to my brother.

Ten years later, he is still scarred from it
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, you probably aren't in bad shape at all, just riding the wrong kind of bike for road racing.  Kind of like comparing a Corvette Z06 to a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  Both are pretty much tops, but out of their element the other one will make the first look bad.  If you were to get on his road bike and he on your mountain bike, you might kick his ass on the street.

-K
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Was there a guy in a little red 4x4 slowing down in front of him...tends to piss em off
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Actually, you probably aren't in bad shape at all, just riding the wrong kind of bike for road racing.  Kind of like comparing a Corvette Z06 to a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  Both are pretty much tops, but out of their element the other one will make the first look bad.  If you were to get on his road bike and he on your mountain bike, you might kick his ass on the street.

-K

I know this, but it still made me feel like a dork.  I'm sure he is home tonight thinking, "Ha, that young guy dosen't have nothing on me".  

I was actually peddling pretty hard, and getting a pretty good work out.  I wasn't just putting along, that's why I was pretty impressed with his little stunt.  He was probably 15 miles into his work out and it had to take quite a bit of steam to turn around and accelerate up a slight incline and over take me as fast as he did; just to put me in my place.

BTW, it I don't ride a Huffy.  It's a "Specialized"   And I even have my helmet positioned correctly, my socks sluffed down, and my seat is the correct heigth for my size.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
No comparison between a mountain bike and road bike.  I had to go get my hands on a road bike to keep from getting smoked on group rides.  :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top