Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2005 2:48:44 PM EDT
People frequently get pointed out on this site as being a snob in a specific fashion, most notably in my opinion is SteyrAug being a "gun snob"...which he most assuredly is, as are many of us on this site but mostly to a lesser degree.

I have somewhat recently realized a specific area in which I am a snob, and that is in the area of kitchen knife sets.  Specifically, serrated kitchen knives.

I hate these sets, and for some psychotic reason, when I hear of people using them and liking them, there is a small part of me which loathes them as well and get a bit disgusted.

You see them advertised on television.."Never Need Sharpening" and a lot of people buy them and like them.

This irritates me to a great degree.

To me, it is a half assed way to getting around using a truly quality tool and have to deal with keeping it sharp.  Instead, use a knife with crap steel and serrations instead.

I too get a bit frustrated with my own basically mediocre knife sharpening skills, but I REFUSE to go the serrated route.  I have used such sharpening sets as the Spyderco set (didn't like it...despite great reviews by all) as well as the Lansky (decent, but a bit cumbersome) but have recently discovered, ordered, and received what appears to be the Cat's Pajamas in knife sharpening.  I have not had the chance to use it yet, but will soon and post a review here.  I am highly optimistic.

A few weeks ago I had a nice visit with my parents over several days.  At least it was nice until I discovered some half assed serrated set that they bought after viewing some infomercial.  My disgust was compounded by the fact that I bought them a quite nice set of kitchen cutlery a few years ago for Christmas.  They love to cook, and frequently whip up some really gourmet stuff.  Perfect Gift!  The nice set now sits in a box in their basement, whereas their trailer-park grade knives sit in a block in their kitchen.

I was nauseated.

Well, that's my Psychotic Snob Complex.

What's yours?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a rant snob.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Beer.  I really don't have a problem with cheap beer and will certainly drink it if it's free (hell, I've even been known to buy some myself when I want volume).  When someone calls Heineken or Becks "good beer", however, that's when I feel the need to educate them on what good beer truly is.  (Becks is ok at best but still quite overpriced.  Heineken is horrid swill in a trendy bottle, for the price of actual good beer.  I far prefer Budweiser and its ilk to Heineken.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]

I hate people who have adopted those new-fangled automobiles, instead of good ol' horse and buggy, just because they are more convinient and easier!  

I'm just funnin' with ya - I have to admit I own ONE of those serrated knives , but in my defense it came free with a nice cutting board I bought about 4 years ago.  Since then, I've almost completely stopped using any other of my knives, because that thing is freakin' awesome!!!   I know I just incurred your perpetual disdain, but I am quite impressed with that cheap knife

I'm not actually that much of a snob on anything.  When it comes to buying stuff for MYSELF, I am a bit of a champagne snob, and admittedly a raging port-snob, but I don't begrudge other poor ignorant fools the cheap swill that they choose to drink (and wallow in).       But, I don't drink champage very often at all, so much of my snobbery is pretty moot anyway.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm reverse snobbish. I grew up poor and in the inner city. I'm now living in the suburbs and do pretty well for myself.
So i'm "snobbish" to my fellow suburbanites that didn't grow up like me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a music snob.

"Modern music" sucks balls.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
<----- Colt snob
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Music.  I like what I like and everything else is crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a real hard time when dealing with blatant stupidity and people who are incapable of reason.  

Yea, but you have an excuse.
You're a cop.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I fucking hate serrated blades.  You can't get any sort of decent edge on them.   Gimme one GOOD knife and I'll use that bitch for all my cutting needs.  Beats 50 fucking shit knives.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Beer.  I really don't have a problem with cheap beer and will certainly drink it if it's free (hell, I've even been known to buy some myself when I want volume).  When someone calls Heineken or Becks "good beer", however, that's when I feel the need to educate them on what good beer truly is.  (Becks is ok at best but still quite overpriced.  Heineken is horrid swill in a trendy bottle, for the price of actual good beer.  I far prefer Budweiser and its ilk to Heineken.)

im the same way. Bugs the hell when my friends snears at me not getting Heiniken and instead grabbing whatever domestic is on sale when I show up for a party, and im like dude Heiniken is the same swill as what i brought just in with a large marketing campign to make it look special and cool.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
"It what ways do you strangely find yourself being a "snob?"

Thread title snob.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"It what ways do you strangely find yourself being a "snob?"

Thread title snob.

Damn!  Ouch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm with Zippy on this one.  I hate serrated knives.  I used to like them until my father showed me how he sharpened real knives...a stone and a steel.  Now all my knives are razor sharp.  You know how you tell if a person's good at sharpening knives?  He's got no hair on either forearm and is missing an eyebrow

Oh, and I'm a fishing reel snob, too.  Lever drag?  Of course.  Two-speed?  Sure, why, do they come in three?  Titanium alloy?  If its good enough for the space shuttle, its good enough for my reel.  Never mind that I'm about as close to catching a 200lb tuna sitting here in NoVA as I am flying to the moon, and never mind that the danged reel costs as much as an AR.  I gots to have it.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<----- Colt snob

Me too. Just can't help it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#16]

"It  what ways do you strangely find yourself being a "snob?"

I keep my gas topped off.  I keep a rope, jumper cables, oil, shovel. water, rainsuit and a blanket in the vehicle, and an LED flashlight and Gerber multi-tool on me.

I am cpr trained.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a gear snob. I like Colts, Schmidt Und Benders and Custom .45s. Cheap shit pisses me off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a snob snob.

Snobs piss me off.  Keep your damned opinion to yourself unless you where ASKED.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I would never own a Hi-Point or Jennings firearm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a real hard time when dealing with blatant stupidity and people who are incapable of reason.  

+1

I cant deal with people who lack simple troubleshooting skills.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Colts, blue steel and walnut, and German kitchen knives, that cost like $50 for the little one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im the same way. Bugs the hell when my friends snears at me not getting Heiniken and instead grabbing whatever domestic is on sale when I show up for a party, and im like dude Heiniken is the same swill as what i brought just in with a large marketing campign to make it look special and cool.

Sorry, Heineken is not the same as some of the mass produced american piss water they label beer.  Sure it's overpriced, and sure it's mostly marketing, but the beer inside the bottle is (marginally) better than Budweiser and it's ilk.

Of course for the same price, you could buy a real american beer that's mass produced, like Summit, or Sam Adams, or any of a dozen beers with flavor.  Or you can go the microbrew route, where the options are far greater.

Of course if you're buying beer for a party where most of the people drinking don't know the difference between Miller Lite and Bass Ale, I'll just get the cheaper of the two.  

The best beer of course is homebrewed, but hey, I'm a beer snob :)

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I HATE, and can not fucking tolerate, some of the LAZY mother fuckers we have at work.

The shop now knows better than to put any of those suck asses on a project with me.

I'm no slave driver, but for Christ's sake, if you're gettting paid, at least make a mother fucking effort to earn it!

Damn Zippy, that surely is a raw nerve with me...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple things that could quit possibly make me snobbish.

I consider my job to be more than just a paycheck. (Does that count?..I dunno)

My daughters clothing, even though she is only 17 mnths old and is growing fast. Her wardrobe consists of clothing only from Gymboree.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I do not suffer fools well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I HATE, and can not fucking tolerate, some of the LAZY mother fuckers we have at work.

The shop now knows better than to put any of those suck asses on a project with me.

I'm no slave driver, but for Christ's sake, if you're gettting paid, at least make a mother fucking effort to earn it!

Damn Zippy, that surely is a raw nerve with me...

And you have hit a nerve with me by bringing this up...

The only thing I bitch about at work are the people who incessantly bitch about everything and slack off.

I have told SO many that if I were as miserable as they pretend to be (and I bring up the word "pretend" because I don't think they are that unhappy...but just like to bitch and don't appreciate by any stretch how good they have it) that I would be gone, now.  Therefore, why don't they just leave?  I usually get blank stares, but sometimes get called an asshole.  But I am sure that the blank stare people call me an asshole as well.

I consider myself naive in so many ways...and one of those ways is my simple work ethic, and that everybody shares mine.

I am so, soooo wrong.

Grrrrrr.......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have a couple things that could quit possibly make me snobbish.

I consider my job to be more than just a paycheck. (Does that count?..I dunno)

My daughters clothing, even though she is only 17 mnths old and is growing fast. Her wardrobe consists of clothing only from Gymboree.

Off topic (can you really be off topic on your own thread?  I don't think so...but I digress) but your avatar is absolutely astounding.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#28]
snob

Hard to live in Oregon and not be.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Off topic (can you really be off topic on your own thread?  I don't think so...but I digress) but your avatar is absolutely astounding.

Dont blame me for putting those poor tortured souls on paper

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Other (Non grunt) Marines mistake my grunt pride for snobishness..I usually think its their lack of understanding or an inferiority complex.

Its a shame, for I am very grateful for the efforts they made to make my life easier/longer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
on topic...

I'm a snowboard snob.

I've been snowboarding for a very long time, and now with the X-Games and Mountain Dew, and spots on this damn show or that, the poseurs, the idiots, the loudmouths talking shit in the lift lines, the trendy, etc. etc. etc.

I've grown to hate my favorite sport.  And when I'm at the mountain, I'm usually with a couple of really good skiers, not snowboarders.  

I'm happy to help beginners and people who want to learn something, but I have no tolerance for the other bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I tend to prefer "industrial strength" or "heavy duty" stuff. That's not being snobbish, though. That's making choices based upon a value system I have. A snob is someone who thinks himself (herself) better than others based upon the choices he (she) makes. What is the difference between a snob and a yuppie? I'm asking, not suggesting I know.

Beer? Guinness. And looking into Home Brewing.

GL
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
on topic...

I'm a snowboard snob.

I've been snowboarding for a very long time, and now with the X-Games and Mountain Dew, and spots on this damn show or that, the poseurs, the idiots, the loudmouths talking shit in the lift lines, the trendy, etc. etc. etc.

I've grown to hate my favorite sport.  And when I'm at the mountain, I'm usually with a couple of really good skiers, not snowboarders.  

I'm happy to help beginners and people who want to learn something, but I have no tolerance for the other bullshit.

Yea, I hate snowboarders too!
<------- 25 year skier!

But I will say I have alot of fun riping it up in the terrain parks. I actually work with a guy that rides pro, Ben Conners out of Mt Hood Oregon. Nice guy and hell of a rider.
CH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I consider myself naive in so many ways...and one of those ways is my simple work ethic, and that everybody shares mine.

I am so, soooo wrong.

Grrrrrr.......

You know, I really don't think it's naiveté.

I don’t know your age, but I’m 48.  And my entire family is/was blue collar workers.  It is expected that you earn your pay.

It’s just the way it is - there is no other option.  

Sadly, there are some my age, and many in the younger generation, who do not practice that art.

Slackers...damn I hate slackers.  We have way too many of them in our shop.

And yes, I’m planning my escape.  Just have to complete a few more items, than I’ll open my own shop with the next 14 months.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

<--- Pizza Snob

Hmmm...see here's the problem amongst New Yorkers.

They like to think that they are Pizza Snobs...or, as they will most oftenly, in a most obscene fashion, refer to a Pizza as a "Pie," which it is not, it is a "Pizza",

...and they are not Pizza Snobs as it is utterly and completely impossible to be a Pizza Snob unless you come from the Holy Ground of Pizza...that being the Chicago Metropolitan Area...aka...Chicagoland.

These East Coast New York Effeminate will tell you that their faggotrous thin crust abominations which they delegate to be the epitome of Pizza Cuisine are loathesome individuals indeed.

East Coast Pizza has about as much charm and integrity as a seafood dish at Red Lobster.

The Mecca of Pizza, by the way, is shifting.  It is coming by way of Northern Kentucky.  My kitchen.

I am not afraid of anybody.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
snob

No kidding there!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Cooking snob.  Culinary school does that to you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Salt and pepper. I can't stand the crap pepper that is on the table at most eateries. I have to have fresh cracked pepper or none at all. I also like my salt to be fresh ground sea salt. And I also hate ppl that can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Cooking snob.  Culinary school does that to you.

Challenge my pizza, I dare you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I am an unapologetic food and music snob.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm a shoe snob

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, I've been using and sharpening my own knives for 35 years.

But I do leave out serrated knives for the wife to use, because lets face it, what do women
know about knives and their proper usage.

All my knives sit in my "own" drawer and are not to be touched by amatures.

Good thing I do most of the culinary arts at this house

This is just the tip of the iceburg of my snobishnesss around here.

GM
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snob

www.fastdirectory.net/smile/tongue.gif  No kidding there!  Patty

Um.  Patty, I think he's saying he's a beer snob, but, I know all Oregon people, love Oregon, and think very highly of their state.  And, there's some really good beer made there too.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm a nostalgia snob I guess, I automatically distrust anything new, cutting edge, or high tech.  

1911 over Glock
bolt action Mauser over almost anything else
old calibers over brand new whiz bang super magnum ones
timeless style over cutting edge fashion
Made in USA or Europe over Asia snob.
etc

I'm becoming somewhat of a clothes snob.  Not a label snob really, but a "is something timeless or trendy" snob.  I watch TV and think "will that tie look decent 10 years from now, or dated?"  Also, how much cuff shows at the bottom of the sleeve?  Are those rubber sole or leather sole shoes?  At the collar, where the tie sits, does it come to a nice point like /\ or is thier a gap like / \ ?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm a shoe snob

Theres a shocker!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snob

www.fastdirectory.net/smile/tongue.gif  No kidding there!  Patty

Um.  Patty, I think he's saying he's a beer snob, but, I know all Oregon people, love Oregon, and think very highly of their state.  And, there's some really good beer made there too.

Cheers!

Well you could be right.  After all there are some great Oregon Breweries.  However Gotta Love fromer Oregon Governor Tom McCall "Enjoy your visit but please LEAVE"

Patty
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think I'd call it snobbery but boorish and inconsiderate behaviour REALLY piss me off.

I'm just a redneck from Alabama so I'm not talking about people using the salad fork for dinner here but what the hell has happened to basic courtesy, politeness and manners?

Couple of examples from the past week:
1- on an airplane for a 3 hr flight and I'm reading a book, plane isn't even full and I have the row to myself. Out of nowhere I hear someone's stereo/DVD/computer start blasting out some song I've never heard of. It sounds like crap (all tinny and distorted over the drone of the engines but it's annoying nonetheless) and people are looking around to see where its coming from. I couldn't tell either but I figure 'no problem, whoever it is will just pop their headset in it will go away'. Two minutes later it's still blasting away and I stand up to see where it's coming from. Just as I do this the lady next to me taps the guy in the row ahead of us and asks him to please turn it down. The dude looks surprised and does so. I was like "WTF?!!? could you not tell you had the damned thing turned up all the way?!?"

2- Also on an airplane coming out of San Juan. I board the plane and notice some 'gangsta' looking guy sitting in my seat. It's an aisle seat on an oversold flight so I'll be taking my assigned seat thanks. He apparently doesn't speak English and is trying to sit next to his 2 friends across the aisle. I point to my seat and he just looks at me. I pull out my stub and show him 'you're in my seat' which he grudgingly moves to another one in the seat ahead of us. Now...as I'm watching this it becomes apparent that there is an entire group of 'playas' and their 'bitches' that numbers about 14 people trying to all sit next to one another when virtually NONE of them had taken their assigned seat. So the next 30 minutes are spent watching these bozos bounce around between seats as the assigned person shows up (NOTE: this includes the 'head playa' who is about 350 pounds and is in a middle seat. )
Basically the whole boarding process is a total goat rodeo but nothing particularly unusual for flights out of PR. Eventually they settle down and are spread over about 9 rows...here's where the fun part begins.
These jackasses spend the first hour of flight yelling across, over, and around other people to talk to one another.

Eventually the stewardesses told them to shut up but under what circumstances would you think this acceptable behaviour?  

3- I'm at work taking a crap. Doesn't happen very often as I prefer my home throne but there I am.
My cellphone in my pants pocket starts ringing so I look at it (it's my bosses secretary) and silence it. No problem as I'll be finished in about 2 minutes and will call her back. The phone rings again IMMEDIATELY and it's her again so I silence it yet again. I look and no voicemail is left.  

About 15 seconds later the GD phone rings a THIRD time and I'm so damned ticked off that I answer the thing while sitting on the shitter.

Me: "Yes Susan."
Her: "Observer, Joe needs to meet with you right now"
Me: "Okay well I'm right in the middle of something so it'll be about 5 minutes"
Her: "No you don't understand, he wants to meet NOW"
Me: "I'll be down in just a few minutes, I promise"
Her: "He's on a teleconference and wants you here now, not in 5 minutes"
Me: "Well you're more than welcome to conference me while I'm on the shitter, otherwise I'll be down when I finish taking a dump."
Her: "Oh sorry, I'll see you in 10 minutes"
Me: "Okay thanks."

Is it snobbery to expect some basic common courtesy when interacting with other people?

If so, consider me a snob.

-Observer
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Hockey snob.  IYARWYAS.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top