Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2001 6:20:36 AM EDT
If you get pulled over in Florida, do they know your little secret beforehand? I didnt think so, but I am hearing some horror stories. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By David M:
Yep
View Quote

I just spoke with a high ranking officer with the local PD. He took my number and called back after about 15 minutes of research. This is what he said. The DL# the license plate# and the CCW records are handled by three separate departments that do NOT cooperate with each other and never will. He also plainly stated that if a LEO pulls up behind you and runs your plate # he will NOT automatically get ANY information pertaining to a CCW. It takes a separate inquiry to get that kind of information, and it isnt done as a matter of course.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They had a blurb about it on the local news a while back.  I was not the only one to see that piece, there was talk about it at the local range.  It was fairly specific.  Wouldn't be the first time the media was full of it though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So what is the problem? If I was a cop, I would feel relieved that the driver of the car was a responsible law-abiding citizen that went to the trouble of getting, and was qualified for that CCW!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So what is the problem? If I was a cop, I would feel relieved that the driver of the car was a responsible law-abiding citizen that went to the trouble of getting, and was qualified for that CCW!
View Quote

Actually you are correct Bandit. The whole thing started with some coworkers taking the course at the Melbourne gun show. A so called "instructor" had them so shook up with this bullshit that they were thinking about putting the CCW apps in the trash and forgetting the whole thing. The guy just let his ego get away from him and started talking shit.The LEO that I talked to is married to my sister and has been giving me SOLID information for over 20 years. Feel free to believe him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What would it matter as long as you are legal?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of the FL CWP, I plan to do some travelling next week, and was wondering which states have reciprocity with us on the permits.  Anybody know all of them?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No tc6969, they do not.

I used to think they did because an officer pulled me over once and asked where my gun was (musta been the NRA sticker.)
I had a few friends from 4 different departments in my area run my tag through the computer and one call me in, never once did it say anything about a CCW.
So I don't think so. I'm actually suprised since possessing a CCW in FL is a matter of public record.

dissipator556:
http://www.packing.org/

They have really good information on who takes what and what their laws are. Good site.
Your good up to GA and all the way over to TX, but AL won't accept it (this may change soon.) But, check the site out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It has been my experience that LEO's make a specific request for CWP as the data base is maintained by the Florida Department of State.
Drivers Licenses are maintained by the Florida
Department of Motor Vehicles.

I believe the FDS maintains a list of States
on their website.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everybody for helping clear this up. This is what AR15.com is all about.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I emailed the FL Div. of Licensing on this matter.  This is the answer that I received.

[b]Law Enforcement Officers have access to the Concealed Weapon License data via the FDLE.  We are not familiar with how the inquiry process works on their end.

You may want to contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement directly for more information.
They can be located at:  [url]www.myflorida.com/myflorida/directory.html[/url]

I hope I have been of assistance.

Marsha Stroud
Management Analyst II
Division of Licensing
The Capitol, Mail Station # 4
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
(850) 488-6982[/b]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I also asked my R.O. partner, a Sheriff's Deputy, about this while we were doing range duty yesterday.  There is [b]not[/b] a direct cross reference, my first answer was wrong.  When they run your plate/license it shows for wants/warrants and also DVIs.  (Domestic Violence Injuctions.)
But, it seems that they do have access.  Hell, anyone has access, CCW in FL is a matter of public record.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top