Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 10:20:17 AM EDT
My friends have switched from limewire to Azureus to download things but none of them are home.  I downloaded azureus and it auto updated itself.  I don't see a search for the spot I do my searches in limewire.  

How do I find files to download? I like to find funny videos, and ummmm recreational short videos of various things? nothing illegal!

I did a search on google and found something about torrets being files but how do I download them and how do I perform a search? I do not understand how this is susposed to work, but was told Azureus is the best and gives me graphical interfaces for everything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
www.isohunt.com

Try it...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
so the searches must have to be done from websites and not the download client.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
1. find torrent file (download it from your favorite website)
2. open the torrent file w/Azureus (it should open automatically)
3. complete download
4. share at least until you have a 1 to 1 share ratio
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so the searches must have to be done from websites and not the download client.

yes
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
i found a random file.  but in the done area it was counting a percentage.  when it got to 100 then the icon turned red meaning no one to download from.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i found a random file.  but in the done area it was counting a percentage.  when it got to 100 then the icon turned red meaning no one to download from.  

That means no one is seeding the file at that moment. In other words, no one is online that has the parts of the file that you need.

The good tracker sites should have a status of how many seeds and how many peers are working on that torrent.

ETA: Make sure you install the SafePeer plugin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
what is this safe peer plugin and where can i get it?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]
tagged too...

Is bittorrent safe?  (Or does it leave the unknowledgable users computer wide open to the world?)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if the RIAA will try to shut this stuff down, too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
It's harder to shut down the torrents because they're coming from so many sources and aren't concentrated in one spot.  There are new torrent related sites popping up every single day.  Then again, it's only a matter of time before they figure something out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
im still wondering about this safe add in and how and why it helps.  is it easier to get viruses using this then say limewire?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How do I find files to download? I like to find funny videos, and ummmm recreational short videos of various things? nothing illegal!

Almost all my torrent downloads are illigal

Torrents are files, that simply contain hash info on the download / point to its tracker, that in turn connects you to all the other people downloading that torrent.
Privates sites that require you to sign up, and keep atleast a 1/1 Download/Upload ratio, offer the best speeds.
Torrents are exellent for getting "Recent" stuff, like TV shows / Movies / Music CD's. And so on. But they naturally wont have enough "Peers" after some time.

Public Torrent sites Examples:
www.torrentspy.com/
thepiratebay.org/
www.bitenova.org/

Just find a torrent you want, make sure some other people are getting it aswell(peers), expecially that theres enough "Seeders(People that have all the files, and are just uploading") for the torrent to be able to finish. Download the file, it should open with Azureus by defult.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
4. share at least until you have a 1 to 1 share ratio

Public torrents i could care less about. Seed as little as possible, imo. Not good for the community, but feels damn good to be a leech on other peoples ass .
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
it's safe, if by safe you mean "creates giant gaping holes in your firewall"

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Impossible with Bittorrent, it is decentralized, and can run on virtually any port.   The RIAA can go to fucking hell as far as I concerned, nothing but a Cartel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Impossible with Bittorrent, it is decentralized, and can run on virtually any port.   The RIAA can go to fucking hell as far as I concerned, nothing but a Cartel.

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
it's safe, if by safe you mean "creates giant gaping holes in your firewall"

I thought it only opens one port.  how does it create giant holes in it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top