Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 10:18:56 AM EDT
Sunday, Sept. 25, 2005 1:03 p.m. EDT
Hurricane Center: Global Warming Equals Fewer Storms

Environmentalists who claim global warming has caused an increase in U.S. hurricane activity obviously haven't checked with the National Hurricane Center, which has kept statistics on major storms over the last 150 years. That's probably because those statistics yield one inescapable conclusion: If global warming has had any impact at all on hurricane activity, it's lessened - not increased - the frequency of major hurricanes.

From 1901 till 1950 - when the U.S. economy was a fraction of its current size and fossil fuel consumption was next to nil - there were 34 hurricanes rated at Catagory 3, 4 or 5 in size on the Saffir Simpson scale.

In the latter half of the twentieth century - when U.S. manufacturing exploded, automobile use skyrocketed and rampant consumerism was the order of the day, hurricane activity actually decreased by nearly 20 percent, declining to 28 Catagory 3-5 hurricanes from 1951 to 2000.

That's almost as low as the last five decades of the 19th century - when the overwhelming majority of Americans lived on farms, manual power was generated by watermills and cars had yet to be invented. From 1851 to 1900 there were 27 major hurricanes in the U.S.

The stunning numbers didn't faze ABC "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos, who attempted to counter panelist George Will when Will raised the Hurricane Center's findings during Sunday's broadcast.

"We're only half way through this decade, barely, and we've already got six very intense hurricanes," Stephanopoulos argued, as if to suggest that global warming's impact began in 2001.

Online article here.

I wasn’t too sure I bought off on this so I went to NOAA’s hurricane center website myself (www.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov) and did a little research.  Here’s what I found:

Of the top 50 hurricanes from 1850-2005, rated by intensity at landfall, only seven occurred since 1990.
Eighteen of the 50 occurred before 1900.
The average year of the top ten (actually 11 because there was a tie for 10th) is 1937.

The average number of major hurricanes (Cat 3, 4 or 5) per decade during the period covered was 6.  The worst decades, based on number of major hurricanes, were 1941-1950 (10), 1891-1900 (8, 21 minor), 1931-1940 (8, 19 minor), 1951-1960 (8, 17 minor), and 1911-1920 (7, 21 minor).  All other decades had the average number or fewer.

Looks to me like someone don't know spit about global warming or hurricanes ...or both.  ;-)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Since when did facts matter to Dems or Enviro-weenies.   Hell, the 70's the fuckers were worrying about a oncoming Ice Age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top