Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:02:46 AM EDT
BBC NEWS
Woman arrested over Menezes leak
A woman has been arrested over the leak of findings about the fatal police shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes on the Tube, it has emerged.

The 43-year-old was arrested at one of a number of London addresses searched.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) leak prompted claims police had covered up details of the shooting at Stockwell station in July.

No details were given on the grounds for Wednesday's arrest. The woman was later released on police bail.

Electrician Mr Menezes was shot by police on 22 July - the day after several failed bomb attempts - when he was mistaken for one of the bombing suspects.

Search warrants

The leak is being investigated by Leicestershire Police after ITV News ran details of the IPCC inquiry into the shooting.

A police statement said: "On Wednesday 21 September, Leicestershire Constabulary, supported by officers from the City of London Police, executed a number of search warrants at addresses in the London area.

"A 43-year-old woman was arrested at one of the London addresses and later released on bail pending further inquiries."

The leaked information contradicted much of what had previously been thought about Mr Menezes' death and led his family to demand the resignation of Metropolitan Police chief Sir Ian Blair.

Scotland Yard was quoted as saying that Mr Menezes' "clothing and demeanour" added to suspicions that he was a suspected suicide bomber.

However, the leaked documents and photographs show the body of Mr Menezes, on the Tube where he was shot dead by police, wearing a denim jacket - not a bulky one as previously described.

At the end of August, the IPCC announced an inquiry into how the documents were leaked, led by former Chief Inspector of Constabulary for Scotland Bill Taylor.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4280238.stm

Published: 2005/09/25 11:31:51 GMT

© BBC MMV
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
BBC NEWS
Woman arrested over Menezes leak
A woman has been arrested over the leak of findings about the fatal police shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes on the Tube, it has emerged.

The 43-year-old was arrested at one of a number of London addresses searched.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) leak prompted claims police had covered up details of the shooting at Stockwell station in July.

No details were given on the grounds for Wednesday's arrest. The woman was later released on police bail.

Electrician Mr Menezes was shot by police on 22 July - the day after several failed bomb attempts - when he was mistaken for one of the bombing suspects.

Search warrants

The leak is being investigated by Leicestershire Police after ITV News ran details of the IPCC inquiry into the shooting.

A police statement said: "On Wednesday 21 September, Leicestershire Constabulary, supported by officers from the City of London Police, executed a number of search warrants at addresses in the London area.

"A 43-year-old woman was arrested at one of the London addresses and later released on bail pending further inquiries."

The leaked information contradicted much of what had previously been thought about Mr Menezes' death and led his family to demand the resignation of Metropolitan Police chief Sir Ian Blair.

Scotland Yard was quoted as saying that Mr Menezes' "clothing and demeanour" added to suspicions that he was a suspected suicide bomber.

However, the leaked documents and photographs show the body of Mr Menezes, on the Tube where he was shot dead by police, wearing a denim jacket - not a bulky one as previously described.

At the end of August, the IPCC announced an inquiry into how the documents were leaked, led by former Chief Inspector of Constabulary for Scotland Bill Taylor.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4280238.stm

Published: 2005/09/25 11:31:51 GMT

© BBC MMV

On the face of it & my recall of the shooters' screw-up & ensuing cover-up, it seems she should be honored for performing a public service, rather than being in jail.   The jacket wasn't the only discrepancy, I believe he also did not jump the toll gate as was initially reported, and his demeanor just before they shot him was consistent with an ordinary guy going to work, who sh*t his pants when several guns were pulled on him.   And was there something about the shooters ID not being as clear as originally claimed?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm...on what charges was she arrested?
Whistleblowing?
I bet those cameras they have everywhere were handy for finding her.
England really IS turning into a police state.

Funny how that always seems to happen once you disarm the people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hmm...on what charges was she arrested?
Whistleblowing?
England really IS turning into a police state.

Funny how that always seems to happen once you disarm the people.

Probably violating the Official Secrets Act, a legal screen for the British Government to cover up corruption, incompetance and other failures.

Britain is very much a police state, however the US is not far behind. Haven't you noticed the cameras popping up everywhere here too?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Too bad ALL of the cameras were broken at the time of the shooting, we could have seen it with our own eyes
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
ok let me see if I get this clearly. That suspected terrorist that was shot in britain in the subway where they tackled him and shot him dead, he was innocent

or was this another incident?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok let me see if I get this clearly. That suspected terrorist that was shot in britain in the subway where they tackled him and shot him dead, he was innocent

or was this another incident?

That was the one, he was just an illegal alien that ran from the LEOs(like they do here)

eta: he was innocent of being a terrorist, he was guilty of being an illegal and running from the Police
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
correct he was innocent.  

but no one there has any balls to do anything about it
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
dang, that sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It was wrong to shoot that guy, but I still don't like do-gooder whistle blowers either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top