Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 6:19:01 AM EDT
I've been trying to find time to go try riding a horse for about 5 years. Just never seem to get around to it. Well, finally, I'm putting alot of effort into it. I've nevr ridden before nor do I know anyone that does. Since I know nothing about riding I'm considering taking an 8 week class that a stable about 15 miles away offers. Is this a good idea?

My other question is. Are there stables that will let you rent a horse and equipment and go out for an occasional ride? What do I ask for... rent-a-horse?

Anything else I should know?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend taking the eight week course - find out what its all about...

I don't know about VA but around this part of MA - plenty of stables to rent horse and saddles for trail rides etc... I am sure there are plenty in VA as well.

PS: Chicks dig horses
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a great idea to me

a course will teach you what you need to know--horses are big animals and can be tricky to work with

the stable you are going to most likely offers a rent-a-horse type of service depending on your skill level--you may be able to ride in a ring or they may offer guided trail rides

have fun and update us--i wish i got to ride more often  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Paging Rodent..Paging Rodent...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Anything else I should know?

-Foxxz

VA is horse country, there are tons of stables around that give lessons.  Just start calling around and find one that suits.

If you are going to be riding english saddle, strech your calves.  You'll have the ball of your feet in the sturrup and your heel pointed to the ground.  If you are riding western saddle, no worries there as your arch will be more in the sturrup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably not looking to buy a horse (least not for a few years if ever). Just something I want to do a little. Thanks for the terrific advice guys!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure and take at least a .45 cal. automatic incase you have to turn the horse off in an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I never rode a horse before,but from what I can tell you should most likely wear some sort of ballsack protection.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay away from Anglo-Arabs and Thoroughbred Crosses.  

Have fun
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
quarter horse!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been riding, teaching, competing and training horses for about 22 years now.  IM me if you need info.

My advice is to take the 8 week course.  Before you sign up, though, I would go watch a lesson.  Make sure the instructor appears to be competent, emphasizes safety, that the classes aren't too large (3 riders MAX), that they keep their equipment in good shape (no dirty leather, seams coming apart) and that the horses are well mannered and in good condition.

An active barn is the best place to ride because it is more fun and more motivating to ride when you see other people around doing it, too.  

Word of caution: an active barn means LOTS of horse people and EVERY horse person does it differently and will VOLUNTEER to tell you how you are doing things wrong.  Listen to your instructor.  Unless you ask for advice or the person appears to be genuinely competent and you feel they are a good person to learn from, politely tell them that you are a beginner and it's too confusing to learn everything at once and that you are trying to concentrate on what your instructor says.  Say thank you and go on about your business.  

Do not rush into purchasing a horse.  I would recommend taking lessons for at least six months to a year to make sure this is something you genuinely want to do.  Lease a horse before you buy.  And if you do decide to buy, board them at an active barn that you enjoy going out to... otherwise this will be another drain on your wallet that you will resent.

Again.. lessons for a long time.  Even top level riders realize that they will never be done taking lessons.  You will always be learning.  And $20-40 a week for a lesson is a lot cheaper than the $150-350 you'll be paying to board a horse at a decent facility.

If you DO decide to buy a horse... have your trainer help you look and match you with a horse.  Don't go for the youngest horse because you somehow think a younger horse is worth more.  An older horse 10-16 years of age still has plenty of spunk but has enough miles on them to be level headed and know their job.  THAT is a horse that will be enjoyed.  Trust me.... you'll laugh the first time you see some idiot trying to ride a greenbroke three year old on the trail who has decided that the boogey man is around every corner and they can get a better view from their back legs followed quickly by a retreat at 120 miles an hour.  

This is some great advice.

Anyways, go for the eight week camp or whatever it is.  Places that give you horse riding lessons will usually lease horses so you can ride them whenever you want. But you shouldnt be thinking about that just yet. Your first goal is to actually get on a horse and actually ride and get an idea of what your doing. For some people it comes easy, others it comes very difficult. Take your time and listen to the people who know what their talking about, and most importantly, ASK QUESTIONS. You'll find out soon just how complex riding horses is but once you get the hang of it, its a blast.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
"The most gentle horse is the one that will hurt you."

Remember this and always be on guard.  A 1000 pound animal with lightning quick reflexes is a force to respect.

Riding is an absolute blast!  Learn how to do it and you will have a skill for a lifetime.

If you are in a rural community and ride with some of the locals, odds are you can spend the rest of your life riding other's horses, and never have to buy one for yourself.  You will need to develop some skill and experience first, but after that, finding a mount to ride is not a problem.

My personal preference is to ride a mare mule, then a john mule, third, a gelding horse.  I leave the mares to folks that understand PMS better than I do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top