BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:17:46 PM EDT
UCF Officer Fatally Shot By Orlando Police

POSTED: 9:59 pm EDT September 24, 2005
UPDATED: 10:05 pm EDT September 24, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A University of Central Florida police officer was fatally shot by another officer outside the Citrus Bowl before a football game on Saturday.

An Orlando police officer fired the shot shortly before 5:30 p.m, said Barbara Jones, spokeswoman for the Orlando Police Department.

A third person was involved in the incident, Jones said. She refused to say if the person was injured and would not name that person.

Authorities did not immediately release names or the circumstances leading to the shooting.

"I can't release a whole lot of information because it's under investigation," said Geo Morales, spokesman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The shooting occurred before an UCF game with Marshall.

Witnesses said that an undercover officer broke up a gathering of students, who resisted his efforts. The officer then fired three shots into the air for help.

Another officer saw a gunman and shot him several times. The gunman was the undercover officer, the newspaper said.

"It's pretty freaky. You don't think you would see this at a UCF game," junior Nicole Jorgensen, 22, of Melbourne.

A telephone message left Saturday night for the UCF Police Department was not immediately returned.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

www.local6.com/news/5016788/detail.html

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess shooting a gun into the air in the middle of a crowd isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor choice that cost him his life.

I would of shot him too
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooting into the air was a BAD idea. Darwinism at work here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a DAMNED GOOD THING that only COPS HAD GUNS.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What a sad story.  

HH
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
And all this time my contingency plan for getting help in the middle of a mob was to fire three shots into the air.. I'll have to rethink that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]

The officer then fired three shots into the air for help.

Who the fuck trained him to do that, or did he come up with such a shitty idea all by his lonesome?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit i was there, and i didnt hear about that! We finally won a game though! For half-time they were giving respect to those serving in the armed forces, and had a V formation of helicopters fly over. It was getting dark so when they were coming in all i saw were their silhouttes. They were medivacs, but the first one was a Huey so the WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP was pretty cool.

Everyone was soo excited we won, they stormed the field and ripped down a goal post LOL. People were talking about doing it and they put police near the gates to prevent it and said not to over the PA. Didnt work, andit was damn funny, i got pics of it from my cell i'll post tommorrow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
"Witnesses said that an undercover officer broke up a gathering of students, who resisted his efforts. The officer then fired three shots into the air for help.

Another officer saw a gunman and shot him several times. The gunman was the undercover officer, the newspaper said."

Damn, wtf!?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You've never seen Mizzou beat Nebraska at home have you.

We rip down the goal post and procede to peraid them through town.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So no one else in Florida has a gun except cops? Is that what your trying to say here?

Never, ever fire warning shots. Most depts I know of expressly forbid the firing of warning shots. What a stupid, stupid way to lose your life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Welll, he won't do that again will he?

What dumbass shoots in the air at a stadium? An ROP'er in training?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So no one else in Florida has a gun except cops? Is that what your trying to say here?

Never, ever fire warning shots. Most depts I know of expressly forbid the firing of warning shots. What a stupid, stupid way to loose your life.

It's called SARCASM.

"They" love to say how only cops should have guns.   Well everyone involved here with a gun was a cop.   Turned out just peachy, didn't.

Say, where did those 3 rounds GO, anyway?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never, ever fire warning shots. Most depts I know of expressly forbid the firing of warning shots. What a stupid, stupid way to loose your life.

It's called SARCASM.

"They" love to say how only cops should have guns.   Well everyone involved here with a gun was a cop.   Turned out just peachy, didn't.

Say, where did those 3 rounds GO, anyway?

I have yet to hear any cop except for those FOP admin assholes say that. Are you just looking for some reason to bash someone whose body isn't even cold yet?

Edit: While I can assure you that his department didn't teach him to fire warning shots, or to shoot into the air, and this was more than liekly a huge mistake on hiw own part, perhaps out of respect for the officer, it can wait a little while before we start belittling him.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Undercover officers should not do a whole lot besides investigate. Ask Patrick Dorismond and the cocksucker who murdered him.

2. Perhaps if he had surrendered his gun rather than practicing poor gunhandling. . . .
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Guess shooting a gun into the air in the middle of a crowd isn't a good idea.

I always thought when the gun comes out the badge come out also. I guess he was shot immediately after he fire the 3 shots.

Maybe some LE folks will clarify how a situation like this should go down.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Bet he got this idea from Beverly Hills Cop 3.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Witnesses said that an undercover officer broke up a gathering of students, who resisted his efforts. The officer then fired three shots into the air for help.

Another officer saw a gunman and shot him several times. The gunman was the undercover officer, the newspaper said.

1. Undercover officers should not do a whole lot besides investigate.

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Poor choice indeed, but sorry for him and his family
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I am willing to bet that "undercover" is really newspaper-speak for "plainclothes" or "off duty not wearing his uniform".
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the first things that you are taught, NO WARNING SHOTS.
Regardless, its too bad.
CH
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Stupidity kills. I can not see how any justification exists for 3 warning shots while in a crowd. Same as 3 "help" shots. Someone missed the class on common sense. I feel sorry for the cop who lived, while he shot the UC officer, I can't really fault him either. He will have to live with it for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Warning shots were banned by the FBI maybe 15 or so years ago.  Since then, several situations in which warning shots were fired resulted in saving police officers' lives.  The FBI and most police agencies have since rethought the prohibition of warning shots.

My agency uses the phrase "warning shots should not be fired," meaning that they may be fired, but you damn well better do it right and be prepared to explain it.  A "shall not" is a prohibition.

Warning shots have saved lives, and it sure seems like it worked the other way in this case.  Very sad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Was he professional enough to carry a Glock fo-tay?  
Next time, when in need of help in the middle of a mob,
at least shoot some of the bastards.  Good tip, though.
When in a crowd of scum, draw attention to the 'tard
who needs to get shot.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Warning shots were banned by the FBI maybe 15 or so years ago.  Since then, several situations in which warning shots were fired resulted in saving police officers' lives.  The FBI and most police agencies have since rethought the prohibition of warning shots.

My agency uses the phrase "warning shots should not be fired," meaning that they may be fired, but you damn well better do it right and be prepared to explain it.  A "shall not" is a prohibition.

Warning shots have saved lives, and it sure seems like it worked the other way in this case.  Very sad.

DOJ Use of Force policy dictates that warning shots are authorized, but only in a correctional environment.

Bad move shooting into the air for assistance.  I would think if the officer were in fear of his life he would have shot the suspect.  A sad day indeed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Now i know why bad cops are refered to as cowboys! What the fuck is this ? Shootout at the OK corral?? I guess no one gave him newspaper clippings of people getting killed by yahoos who fired guns in the air only to have them come back down and kill'em. Wow, imagine THAT officer!? when you shoot a bullet up it will come down?! I thought it would go to the moon or something.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Was it that Black cop with the shitlocks who used to work for DEA????

This happened to an officer I went to the police academy in Tucson with several years ago.  His name was Barleycorn. e worked for Univ. of AZ PD.  Went to a frat party for a disturbance call, and he got blasted by a South Tucson cop .

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I find it so ironic that people base their quick judgements off of an article.. . The same article written by the bias and left news media we all despise.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I find it so ironic that people base their quick judgements off of an article.. . The same article written by the bias and left news media we all despise.

Good call. This was doubtless an example of professional policing at its finest, vilely misinterpreted by evil newsmen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#34]
There is a little more to this incident than has been released, and the initial story reported by the media is not 100% accurate. Go Figure!!

Don't believe everything you read. It can make you ignorant!!! Although this is par for the course around some of the "new" AR15.com crowd.

Overall a sad situation.

Semper Fi,
ASO544
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yep, an MU grad.

I don't think it's so much a parade, as it is a walk to Harpo's to cut it up into pieces.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, an MU grad.

I don't think it's so much a parade, as it is a walk to Harpo's to cut it up into pieces.

Don't stop there!!!!  

I is be a UF grad meself !!!

ASO544
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Dayum!  That's just messed up.

Firing into the air outside a 66,000 seat stadium filling with football fans?  WTF?  Didn't the guy have a radio?  He probabily was 'on patrol' looking for students trying to sneak flasks into the Citrus Bowl.

I have heard the the hiring threshold is lower for college police forces.  You get a lot of Barney Fife-types that metropolitian departments wouldn't touch.  Mall Ninjas with a gun.

Well, on a positive note, the Golden Knights snapped an 0-16 streak.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Where was the guy's radio and backup?
I know no Florida academy taught him to fire warning shots. Any shot in Florida is considered deadly force so you may as well shoot to stop the bad guy.

How sad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#39]
So none of you have heard the old, if uyer lost in the woods or need help to fire three rounds?? I have, they drilled that into us in hunters safety. But I don't like that idea, thats why I carry radios, maps and a compass with me along with a cell phone(just in case I can get high enough to get a signal). It's not warning shots that he was fireing, but a signal of a need for help. While it may work in the woods while hunting and such, it's a piss poor thing to do in the middle of an urban area. Especially a footbal game. If it was bad enough to the point he needed to do that, maybe he should hve re-thought things, he could have just as easily gotten out a cell phone and called his dispatch or something to get some back up.

Poor choices with a sad ending.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have heard the the hiring threshold is lower for college police forces.  You get a lot of Barney Fife-types that metropolitian departments wouldn't touch.  Mall Ninjas with a gun.

Not necessarily. Depending on which part of the state you're in the college guys make more money than the locals. They also get to go to school for a reduced rate AND deal with less BS than locals. Their scenery is better. Would you rather be around hot young coeds all day or homeboys in the hood like I have to?
It's a no brainer.
At this point in my career the college system would be a pay cut so that option is out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily. Depending on which part of the state you're in the college guys make more money than the locals. They also get to go to school for a reduced rate AND deal with less BS than locals. Their scenery is better. Would you rather be around hot young coeds all day or homeboys in the hood like I have to?
It's a no brainer.
At this point in my career the college system would be a pay cut so that option is out.

The majority of the patrol officers at Marquette were either part time for the university and part time at a LE job with a local department, or they were full time cops doing the campus cop job as a part time gig to get to take classes at reduced cost. There was a big to do about it when MU decided to have officers start to carry. A lot of people were aginst it because of "training issues" and that whole "barney fife types stereotype, when in actuallity most of these guys already had more training time with weapons in then the base that the school set. Not all the officers that work for the school are armed but some of the patrol guys are, and like I said most of them are active duty LE.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The officer then fired three shots into the air for help.

Who the fuck trained him to do that, or did he come up with such a shitty idea all by his lonesome?

Orrr  did the news reporter just add that "looking for help" part in?   Did the UCF COP say on his death, "I was looking for help"?   NO?  hummmm, well it was reported his motive was looking for "help".    How did the reporter know that?   It's been reported as a FACT, right?  You guys are all jumping on it like it's true.

It's got to be true because a the media reported it.... NOT.

We know very little here and won't ever know all the facts.  The cop that shot him certainly has his OWN version of the truth.   And the 3 shot man - well he can't talk about it anymore.

Note to myself - don't shoot into the air in crowded public places - except when partying at weddings in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

EXACTLY.  Plus +++1
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, an MU grad.

Hey, give the MU grad a break, beating the NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS is a once in a lifetime event for MU.    GO BIG RED
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Ah, let me guess, the results of AA and low pay. Look, I've said this time and time again... LEO careers do not attrach the best and brightest because those positions do not pay well enough. I guess campus police are even worse.

Warning shots in the air at a university football game where there is a significant crowd? What did the dumbfeck think.... bullets do not come back down?

BAN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION FOR GOOD (AND FOR REAL THIS TIME)!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good call. This was doubtless an example of professional policing at its finest, vilely misinterpreted by evil newsmen.

Just wait, you do not know the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Of all the officer-involved shootings I remember, this so far has the fewest and sketchiest actual facts reported.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#49]
One warning shot would have been better.
It would get attention, but no one would know who fired the shot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay. First hand account as told by my roommate who witnessed the whole thing.

First off, it was an undercover ATF agent. He was there supposedly to bust up the underage drinkers. He had previously pistol whipped a guy so some people knew he was an agent and others didnt. After he had presented his pistol, someone grabbed him from behind in a bear hug. He was able to free himself with his gun and fired 2 shots into the guy's stomach who had grabbed him. He said they were some kind of rubber bullet because the guy was not seriously harmed but on the ground.

After he had fired the shots, a swarm of people surrounded him in preperation to jump him when the UC agent fired the warning shots into the air. He then began waving the pistol at the people and ordered them to stay back. At this time Orlando PD pulled up and the officer fired 3 rounds in the agents back. He said he dropped dead at the scene and was gorey as blood was running from his back and his eyes.

Take the story for what its worth, but I think thats as detailed as youre gonna get it. One question that he was wondering was if the guy who was shot with the rubber bullets could sue. I didnt have an answer but figure someone here would
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top