Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:55:16 PM EDT
Since WinMX has been effectively killed I have tried a few other P2Ps without results.

E-mule and Ares don't connect. I thought it was the programs.

Then I tried LimeWire and it too doesn't connect and gave me a message about how the program can't connect to the internet and to shut down all firewalls, etc.

Well I AM connected to the net and I'm NOT running a firewall.

Obviously my computer has an issue. I noticed this months ago. While WinMX would STILL connect and function my newsgroup client stopped working. Wouldn't connect or do new searches.

I just figured my newsgroup client sucked.

Running WinXP with a BellSouth DSL connection.

At some point one of the ways a P2P and Newsgroup connects to the net was closed. Possibly by Norton Anti Virus or something like that.

However WinMX continued to work when my Newsgroup did not.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Ares Lite and foward the ports on my router. I think there directions on the net how to do it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393032

Umm, that doesn't have anything to do with what I'm asking.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
are you using a router? or is your system hooked directly to the dsl or cable box
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Tells you how to get WinMX running... Well someone has the info.  All P2P proggys are getting shot down lately.

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393032

Umm, that doesn't have anything to do with what I'm asking.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
are you using a router? or is your system hooked directly to the dsl or cable box

Direct DSL.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
But on another note. I have been hearing on several forums ALOT of people are having issues with ANY and ALL P2P programs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
At some point one of the ways a P2P and Newsgroup connects to the net was closed. Possibly by Norton Anti Virus or something like that.

Check this.  I was having the same problem here at work with Limewire after one of Norton's updates. Make sure that your p2p program is allowed to access the internet, and that the port it uses is not blocked by Norton. (You can find this buried in the bowels of Norton AV's settings, someplace. Don't remember where.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But on another note. I have been hearing on several forums ALOT of people are having issues with ANY and ALL P2P programs.

That is the issue I'm addressing.

Tried 3 still running P2P and can't connect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
your DSL didn't come with a wireless router like mine did?
hmmm
I've been unable to connect to ares through my new DSL, at the old house I had no problem. I installed lime wire and have had no problem connecting, but the files on limewire suck( too many fake files)
Ares is by far my fave P2P, but kazaa lite was always good for me too.
I suppose you could go "legit" and use allofmp3.com
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check this.  I was having the same problem here at work with Limewire after one of Norton's updates. Make sure that your p2p program is allowed to access the internet, and that the port it uses is not blocked by Norton. (You can find this buried in the bowels of Norton AV's settings, someplace. Don't remember where.)

Something like this is what I suspect.

Now I just need someone who is able to explain how to check it to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
your DSL didn't come with a wireless router like mine did?
hmmm
I've been unable to connect to ares through my new DSL, at the old house I had no problem. I installed lime wire and have had no problem connecting, but the files on limewire suck( too many fake files)
Ares is by far my fave P2P, but kazaa lite was always good for me too.
I suppose you could go "legit" and use allofmp3.com

Nope, got it about 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I still used Norton, i'd go hunting, and figure it out for you. It's not terribly difficult, once you start browsing through the config menus. You'll find a list of programs, and what their default level of access to the internet is. (Always allowed, prompt, always denied, etc.) As well, there is a way to enable certain ports, too. Lately, Norton seems to be getting set up to only allow traffic on standard HTTP/FTP/Telnet/etc. ports.

Sorry i'm not better help. ;P
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, I guess this thread isn't about precursors.hew.
Trey
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Direct DSL.

that should be a good hint then.   its not you, your isp could very well be blocking the ports used to connect!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this will work real well symnrt  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Direct DSL.

that should be a good hint then.   its not you, your isp could very well be blocking the ports used to connect!!

Nah.  I can say with pretty good certainty that Bellshouth DSL don't give a damn about blocking ports. I'm using them right now to do what he can't.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What is it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it?

its a suggestion from me to remove nortons and get something else.  Norton = the suckage  IMO.

I use nod32, pandasoftware, avast, on my machines
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it?

its a suggestion from me to remove nortons and get something else.  Norton = the suckage  IMO.

I use nod32, pandasoftware, avast, on my machines

Gotcha.

Norton was free.

More importantly even if I dump it. I still can't get a P2P to connect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Try the bit torrent I just downloaded the one that was suggested in the other thread.

I have the same apprehensions as you...too complicated and what not.

It's super easy, use torrent spy as your source and Azureus as the client.

Try it
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Try the bit torrent I just downloaded the one that was suggested in the other thread.

I have the same apprehensions as you...too complicated and what not.

It's super easy, use torrent spy as your source and Azureus as the client.

Try it

Given my connection issue I doubt Bit Torrent will work either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top