Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 5:32:54 PM EDT
Chalk this up as a new experience.  My wife, baby, and I went to our neighbors apple cider party today.  He had a 1925 Witte one-cylinder engine that powered a 1860 apple grinder that belonged to his grandfather from Vermont.  After the apples were ground up, a couple burley guys operated the apple press to create apple cider.  Despite no booze, this was a fun event.

Anyone ever seen these contraptions operate or been to a party like this?  I took about five pictures that I would happy to send someone if they'll post them for me.  IM your email address and I'll send the pics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
GF had a neighbor that made apple cider in UT. just bought it never watched it made.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Vaguely remember a similar demo at Plimouth Plantation on Plymouth MA...Sounds like fun to actually take part and not be a spectator.

I DO however, prefer the fermented kind
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You know how you tell the difference between apple juice and cider?  Use this helpful rhyme:

"If it's clear and yella, you got juice there fella!  If it's dark and brown you're in cider town!"
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Wellllll. Here in the South such events are common just about every weekend that their is a College game........
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After the apples were ground up, a couple burley guys operated the apple press to create apple cider.  Despite no booze, this was a fun event.

]

I sometimes mix cider with vodka.  Makes a good mix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top