Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2001 11:15:31 PM EDT
I used to have DSL, (I believe it was DSL, I'm not to up to date on these things!) for $30 a month.  I was getting about .5 Mb, or something like that.  The company went out of business, and I haven't been able to get any high speed service since.

But I'm moving, so what sort of service should I look for?  What are the different types of service available, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

What types of speeds can I expect, and for how much???
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
We have DSL.  We call and complain about the crappy service we get (which we don't, it always works) every month and they give it to us for free.  

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Cable Modem  = $50 mo. = fast.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
RoadRunner     39 bucks a month.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Wireless: 60 bucks a month.

Downloads up to 4 meg per second on good days:
1.5 meg on bad days.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Northern VA.  Road Runner Cable Modem.

29.95 a month and a 10.00 dollar Cable modem Rental.   Figure I'll buy the modem soon.

Btw,  I get pretty good download speeds.  Most of the time it is almost T-1 DL speeds.  Around 150k a sec.

Uploads... [rolleyes]  about 25k max.

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a cable modem for $12.50/month.  I work for the ISP, so I get an employee discount.  [:)]

Quoted:
We have DSL.  We call and complain about the crappy service we get (which we don't, it always works) every month and they give it to us for free.  

NSF
View Quote

NSF, having previously worked Tech Support for 2 years for my ISP, I've seen your ilk before.  Grrr.  [;)]
If you're complaining to support people, shame on you.  If you're complaining to marketing/sales, more power to you. I hate those guys.  They don't understand the technology, and they promise the moon. Then they blame us techies when we can't/won't do whatever bonehead thing they promised.

BTW, that crap DOESN'T work for long around here.  Our systems engineer can have a real temper, and he just loves ****ing with customers who piss him off.  It's funny when you're not in his crosshairs.

Pity your typical level 1 tech support folks.  That job can be as stressful as being an air traffic controller, especially when you're hopelessly understaffed.  Just observations from someone who's been in the trenches. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Admiral Crunch:
I've got a cable modem for $12.50/month.  I work for the ISP, so I get an employee discount.  [:)]

Quoted:

NSF
View Quote

NSF, having previously worked Tech Support for 2 years for my ISP, I've seen your ilk before.  Grrr.  [;)]
If you're complaining to support people, shame on you.  If you're complaining to marketing/sales, more power to you. I hate those guys.  They don't understand the technology, and they promise the moon. Then they blame us techies when we can't/won't do whatever bonehead thing they promised.

BTW, that crap DOESN'T work for long around here.  Our systems engineer can have a real temper, and he just loves ****ing with customers who piss him off.  It's funny when you're not in his crosshairs.

Pity your typical level 1 tech support folks.  That job can be as stressful as being an air traffic controller, especially when you're hopelessly understaffed.  Just observations from someone who's been in the trenches. [:D]
View Quote

Yea i know about those hot temperd jerks if i got disconnected because i pissed him off i would cancel you guys out and find another isp.
i would spread the word about the bad service.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]
N.E. Ohio Road Runner Cable. $39.00/month but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Cable for $29.95/month if you also have the basic TV cable.  $39.95 if you don't.  Free modem, excellent tech support, which I haven't needed since initial setup & turn-on.

Optimum online. [url]www.optonline.net[/url]

Norm
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I pay $40 a month for a DSL line, and as long as I don't lapse my service I get internet access (1.5mbitdown,384k up)from the line provider for free.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#11]
$39.95 for Cable / modem is free with 2 yrs service.  And since cable absolutely kicks dialups ass I wont be having anything but cable.  If you get cable though you may want to get a good firewall porgram for your own protection, as the security issues are a little different!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll bet Admiral Church works for Earthlink/ Mindspring...
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
No, it's a local outfit.  Actually, our SysEng used to be that way, but after a few conversations with upper management, he's toned that stuff way down.  Our management tends to go out of their way not to upset anyone, usually a bit too far, actually.  They'll take crap from people that are angry, even if the problem isn't even our fault.

Oh, well, I'm not management, and I don't get paid enough to worry about that sort of stuff.  I just administer stuff behind the scenes.  I transferred out of tech support, because dealing with customers was leading to serious burnout.  Now I just work with other employees.  Minimal customer contact.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have earthlink/mindspring with covad(1500/384).  Had excellent service.  After flashcom  went bankrupt earthlink had me hooked up and running in two weeks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Earthlink DSL is 1.5 mbs down and 128K up.  I've gone to measuring sites and gotten figures over 500K on downloads.  $49 per mo., the modem is free (as free as anything else that is free).  The kind of cool thing is being on line and being able to talk on the phone at the same time, not needing an extra line (thus saving $10 or more per month.  You can still hit sites that are crowded or have slow service (I won't mention what sites that might include) but all told it is worth it to me.  Also Earthlink allows you 20 hours of dial-up in case you are on the road and want to get on-line for mail, etc, a good and valuable feature.  Another $15 gets you a static IP, which might be a good thing for some users who have multiple machines in the house or small business.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, good, it's not just me.  I never knew I could throw something as light as a highlighter pen so hard that it shattered into a million pieces against the wall. [smash]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got wireless internet for $45.95 a month. I get 500k/sec on a good day......200-300k/sec on a bad day with most speed tests. Downloads average 50-75k/sec depending on site.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I would pay up to 100 bucks a month.

I will/can't never/ever go back to dial up.

Quoted:
We have DSL. We call and complain about the crappy service we get (which we don't, it always works) every month and they give it to us for free.
View Quote

NSFJojo, BTW, you and the ilk of your kind are half the reason our country is headed to the brink.

You have lost all respect you could have had.  You are thief, nothing more, nothing less.

Zaz

•edit cuz im dum
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#20]
$50 a mounth for Wireless. A Full 11MEG
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
So what is the benefit of DSL over cable, or the other way around?

SW Bell wants $50 a month for their DSL, I still need to talk to the cable guy.

What the heck is wireless????
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Prime Cable at $40.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top