Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 3:59:19 PM EDT
I went to the dentist this past thursday to get a "game plan" since I now have Ins. and the ability to pay for work done. And I have 3 options. 1) Dentures at $3k, but he does not recommned that for someone my age (almost 30)  2) Fix existing at $10k and includes 2 bridges and will be well or option 3) Implants at $15k-$20k which of course replaces them all with good stuff that doesnt require as much care (in his words) and well, will last forever basically. Who here has done any of the above? Any insight?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had it all but the dentures.

I had two bridges for decades.  Both failed...and at almost the same time.  Two of the anchor teeth was rotted away and I never had a clue.

I opted for the implants.  I have six.  They cost me about $30k total.

I love them.  They are rock solid and work great.

Hope you can afford them because in my opinion they are the only way to go.

IM me if you want details.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Man...you are talking some serious work.  I have a large bit of cosmetic dentistry myself, most which is from beating up folks with my face.  I have to admit that it is worth every cent.  My opinion?  IMPLANTS.  If they will take, your dentist will tell you more about the procedure as it is....shall we say, pretty intense, in my opinion and doesn't necessarily work for everyone..

Were I to do it again ( and I may get some more cosmetic work done in the near future ) I would find out the total cost of the procedure and I would shop around...once I settle on a good practitioner I would then have them PRE SUBMIT a claim for the work.  There is some damn name for it ( the presubmission ) but I have already forgotten it.....anyway, once the verification comes in on what your INS will and will not cover I would find out what I would owe and take out a loan ( or similar financing )  for that amount.  Either way your out of pocket is gonna be pretty high.  Get the work done, insure you like it and then pay your dentist.

Implants, especially a LOT of implants are going to take time and pain to accomplish...but the end result is a sweet set of choppers that are gonna last you a long time.....well, as long as you dont CHEW TOBACCO!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Your almost 30? what the hell did you do to your teeth?
or was it lack of visits to the dentist that did you in?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
One my dads entire side of the family has bad teeth  for the males. ALL of them. And I was also stupid. And now im paying for it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have hand braces twice and later they cut my jaw into 6 pieces and then sliced my upper pallet in half and spread it to fix the problem.

total cost of all my dental work - 28,000.00

jaw wired shut for 3 months and very bad pain for 2 months.

Over bite is solved, thousands of dollars in debt.  I no longer grind my teeth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
you can get teeth that are better and require less care then natural ones now?!

fuck! I got ripped off I'm still human :(
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a nice full set of teeth.  Everyone of them is pristine and straight.  There is this one though that was knocked in half when I was 10.  It was capped and fixed and capped and fixed until it had to be pulled.

Now I want an implant but I can't get it.  I am in the AF and I keep getting the run around.  I went from a beautiful smile as my wife says to a toothless hillbilly.  

I am sure it would different if I was some hotshit officer but I am just some lowlife enlisted fucktard that doesn't deserve teeth.  

If you have a chance to get the implant get it.  Don't settle on a bridge that will fail in 10 years and fuck up two more teeth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Only ting thats good is my teeth are straight and only a small over bite which isnt bad at all....  Going back to the dentist in 2 weeks to discuss things...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend the money and get the implants. You are waaaaay too young for dentures and the bridges are just band-aids...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Had it all at 28. By 37, everything was failing/coming apart.
I had a partial with 9 teeth put in at 38./ Best thing I ever did!

After adjustments/the right fit,....better than real! No more pain or maintenance except reg cleaning.

And it is a LOT cheaper in the longrun!!!!

You are never without teeth. They pull the bad ones, and put the temporary partial or plate in immediatly. Sore but not bad. Better than hours in the chair for all that.

THEY DO HOLD UP!!!!!!!!!! Nothing to do with age. And you have perfect teeth when you smile for less cost.

Get a second opinion. Nothing wrong with getting a plate or partial at your age. And you won't have more cost down the road if done right.

ETA----My sinus infections have cleared and so have my allergies since doing it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank God I have good teeth. Thanks Mom.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I am always VERY skeptical of new dentists who want to do major work.

I had a dentist for years that never bothered filling in some small fissures (looked like small black holes in my teeth)  He retired, and on my first visit to the new dentist, he informed me I had 5 cavities (all the fissures) that all needed filling.

Repairs to teeth are never as good as the original teeth.  Bridges weaken things significantly.  If you feel pain or x-rays clearly show decay, get work done on, but  I never had those fissures filled (went to a new dentist who also ignored them) and all those teeth are still fine.

Long story short- get a second opinion if possible.  Some dentists will drill you full of holes you don't need- then you've got weakened teeth for the remainder of your life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have full dentures, top and bottom.  I was 25 (1974) when I got them.  Cost then was $610.00 for extraction and the dentures.  

You don't need the details but it was one of the best decision I ever made.  For me, food tastes much better than it ever did.  I went from 117 lbs with a 27 inch waist to 205 lbs and a 36 inch waist.  I've never felt better.  

I still have the original set of dentures and they are great.  In AR15.com tradition, if they start to bother me, I take a small rattail file to them and adjust 'em.     My dentist cringed when I told him.    

Dentures were a good decision for me.  You have to make up your own mind.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
My dentist desnt like someone my age getting them cause over time bone structure and whatnot can deteriorate (sp?) and can cause issues....  Oh and I will be getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion...

Quoted:
I have full dentures, top and bottom.  I was 25 (1974) when I got them.  Cost then was $610.00 for extraction and the dentures.  

You don't need the details but it was one of the best decision I ever made.  For me, food tastes much better than it ever did.  I went from 117 lbs with a 27 inch waist to 205 lbs and a 36 inch waist.  I've never felt better.  

I still have the original set of dentures and they are great.  In AR15.com tradition, if they start to bother me, I take a small rattail file to them and adjust 'em.     My dentist cringed when I told him.    

Dentures were a good decision for me.  You have to make up your own mind.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a good blender and continue to buy the extended warranty plan.  Forever.

Liquify your meals and drink em' outta of straw.  

Why?:
a) drinking straws are cheaper
b) mechanical digestion is complete by the time you ingest your food
c) remove corn off the cob before putting into blender

See...that was easy.  Who needs a dentist?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My dentist desnt like someone my age getting them cause over time bone structure and whatnot can deteriorate (sp?) and can cause issues....  Oh and I will be getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion...

I have never had any problems with bone structure or anything like that.  

I do think, if you can save your teeth, you should try.   Mine were to "F'ed up" to save.  I had no other choice.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not get dentures at 30 years old! Get the implants. I was cursed with bad teeth, thanks to my Fathers side of the family. So I've had a lot of major work done, from root canals, extractions to bridges and implants. My dental coverage was terrible, so I had to pay out of pocket for most of it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
There are other options.

Check Here
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Implants, but do as many as you can, if you can do your whole mouth( if most of your teeth ar shot), even better. Knew a lady who had them and she said that they were great, 100x better then dentures. She was about 35 yrs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 3 baby teeth that never fell out.  I'm trying like heck to keep them but they're not meant to last 40+ years.  When they go I'll have to have implants put in their place.  I had 4 baby teeth but had to have one pulled two years ago.  I also had to have a crown on the tooth next to the baby tooth that was pulled so they just made that crown a tad bigger.  Looks fine but I have to floss after I eat.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Implants by far.

20k?  Good lord how many teeth are that far gone?

Do root canals and crowns for the salvageable ones, implants for the ones that are not.

BTW, I'm on my 3rd implant, and they're awesome.  Totally maintenance free, outside of regular brushing and flossing. (3 times a day!)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm inclined to say go with the bridge for now, and figure on implants in eight to ten years.  Implants are still pretty new as dental prosthetics go, and the extra time will mean the surgeons will have done more procedures, have more experience, and the implants will be improved, and the whole thing will probably be cheaper.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
They can all be fixed right now, thats where the $10k comes from.  Just dont know... Really cant afford any right now even with INS..  

Quoted:
Implants by far.

20k?  Good lord how many teeth are that far gone?

Do root canals and crowns for the salvageable ones, implants for the ones that are not.

BTW, I'm on my 3rd implant, and they're awesome.  Totally maintenance free, outside of regular brushing and flossing. (3 times a day!)

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple months ago......all 4.   obviously nothing as major as your described.  hope your situation is resolved
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to go brush my teeth now
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a bunch of caps and bridges done when I was about 25.

When I was maybe 45, they all needed to be redone.

I wouldn’t be surprised (assuming I make it into my seventies) if at some point they have to be redone again.

Don’t know much about implants, but they sound like they’re cheaper in the long run.

Also, while not a really big deal, bridges can be a pain to keep clean.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Wonderif I could mortagage the house to pay for this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife had an implant. Her tooth basically self-destructed for some unknown reason. The root shriveled up.

The eventual cost was $7000 or thereabouts. Initial estimate was for $3000-4000, but the bone didn't regrow properly once the bad tooth was removed. She needed bone grafts from elsewhere in her mouth, and a good 9 months to properly fill in so the implant could be set in place. She wore a retaining plate with a fake tooth for better than a year (and that tooth broke very easily; several repairs were needed). She hated the retainer greatly, yet being a professonal who deals with the public (Pharmacist) she couldn't really  go without a replacement. (the gap toothed hillbilly look is frowned upon).

But now that the replacement is in, she's good to go. Can't tell the difference between the new tooth and the surrounding old ones.

I joked with her dentist that when the archaeolgists dig up her bones in 2000 years that they'll be able to say that she must have dated from the early 21st century, with the titanium screwed implant. He got a kick out of that.

The insurance was basically worthless; they paid $300 for the removal of the bad tooth, and nothing else. "Cosmetic" work, they said. Well, WTF? Why else are we paying their sorry asses, but for tooth repair/replacement? It's not as if she smoked and wanted them to pay for tooth whitening. Or got involved in bar brawling. She'd be out of a job lickety split if she sported the hillbilly look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top