Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 3:48:14 PM EDT
Well apparently it flew under the media's radar but it got pretty buck wild down here on the south side of Houston.  On my street alone some lady was kidnapped by two men and a group of men kicked in my door and attempted to help themselves to my stuff.  Oh sorry, that's racist. They weren't looters, they were upstanding citizens trying deserately to survive Rita's ferocious 30 mph winds. Luckily my alarm scared them off before they got anything good.

Anyways, this shit pisses me off and I want to invest in a little peace of mind.  I need help in the following areas.

Cameras.  I think I need about two or three.  One outside to catch a licence plate and/or make of car. Another one on the roof by the front door to act as a deterrent and to get a possible face shot.  I'm thinking it would be necessary for both of these to have some type of infrared capabilities and maybe wireless.  Also I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to record intruders coming into my house.  I've seen some motion activated recorders in upwards of $700, is there anything cheaper?

Metal gates.  I have a big wall in front of my door giving perfect cover for someone to kick in my door.  I'd like to place a big metal gate on the end of that wall.  Where does one get a big metal gate?  Something with a hole packages could be fed through as my mail man leaves all my packages by the door.  Nothing ghetto please.  

Doors and door reinforcements.  These guys kicked the crap out of my door.  While the door itself help up ok, the door jam, the dead bolt, and the door knob are all FUBAR.  That's right the dead bolt bent in a 45 degree angle.  Is there anything I can do to reinforce the door and door jam? Also what's a good quality dead bolt?

Gun safes. (ducks for cover).  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't have one and I know nothing about them.  Are they all just metal boxes or is there a significant difference?  Also will my rifles rust sitting in them?  If so, what methods do I need to take to prevent this?  Do the stores deliver these by chance? (I know what you're thinking, yes I'm from TX and no I don't own a pickup)

CHL. (ducks again) I can't believe that I haven't gotten one yet.  When I heard about that lady being kidnapped it scared the crap out of me.  It just goes to show that you never know when you need to be packing.  I've heard good things about Jim Pruett's class but was wanting to hear from a broader audience.  Do they help you with marksmanship?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
We got pretty good results when we ran a few looters down for 2 blocks with MP5s.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Taffy

ETA

I'm sorry you went through this ordeal but i'm glad you are ok....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
fuggin A.

Welcome to the board.

as far as looters go, guns seem to be the best deterent....although a flame thrower might be worth exploring.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
An alarm is a good element of security.  Most people here poo-poo the idea.  Then they post here and say "Waahhh!! Someone broke into my house when I was gone all weekend and took all my stuff!"  I posted a review once of a security system I had purchased and got about... 0 replies.  

So, I take it you evacuated then?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about that.  I am sure there are some physical security experts here who can give you some professional advice, but I'd ask why you?  Why your house?  anyothers that you know of?  I would take a look at your place from the outside and figure out what about your place made the thugs think you had something nice inside, or had an easy way in.  

Also, ever thought about a dog?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the fold you idiot...cameras @ x10.com WAY cheaper, less than $250. Acording to most people theres GUNS everywhere killing children and puppies! Get one and shoot to disable or centermass its your choice! Get a new STEEL door and frame at every entrance former DU'er. 1 down...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
An alarm is a good element of security.  Most people here poo-poo the idea.  Then they post here and say "Waahhh!! Someone broke into my house when I was gone all weekend and took all my stuff!"  I posted a review once of a security system I had purchased and got about... 0 replies.  

Alarms rock.

Without the one we have at home, I could easily sleep through somebody breaking a window or kicking down a door.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
That is the main reason why I do not want to leave. The police can not stop all the lootin that goes on. There are more looters than police. If you do leave the only thing you can do is to not make your place a soft target. Go over board with the locks, alarm system any thing you can think of to slow them down. So how many looters were shot in Texas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a few security experts that will be along to help you with the cameras.

I will add that 1/4 steel will help in reinforcing your door jamb. Have it cut into 3 1/2 X height of the door and use some good 5" screws to sink it into the 2X4's Shave your door down a 1/4" and add upper and lower locking deadbolts.

Someone will break a leg before it gives in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We got pretty good results when we ran a few looters down for 2 blocks with MP5s.

good thing they didn't see them stamped "airsoft" on the side...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy.

Im tagging this just to see the bitch-slap
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
After Jim and Mark Stevens split, Jim got out of radio and just recently got back in.  He and his son have successfully trained numerous CHL holders.  His son is actively running the store now that he's back in on the air.

Texas Shooters Range is also a very good place to get your CHL.

HH
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have read that a lot of the wireless cameras that are in the cheaper price range tend to be something that can easily be scanned for and watched by others.  X10 was mentioned specifically and I don't know if this has changed or not.

I personally like some of the game cameras that are stand alone, they can see in the dark and would do well for getting the vehicle and maybe license plate depending on how much you wish to spend.

For cameras mounted on the house I would hardwire things since I personally don't know if wireless stuff is actually that secure or not, I don't want someone watching to see when I get the mail or when I leave the house or anything of that sort.

Battery backups would be a biggy in my opinion.

I like the stand alone alarms because you at least get a noise.

However, a nature preserve has a house that is basically where you go to get info about the area and what not.  This house is right across a creek from me, maybe a few hundred yards away.

Their alarm malfunctions a lot and lots of folks around here are mad about it, so as always you should use your items carefully as I expect you will since it sounds like your alarm saved your bacon.

On safes, I have a cheap sentry "safe" that is a step up from a locker and a step way under a safe costing a grand.

I like some of the bigger safes because their size makes them tougher to move, I would still bolt it to the floor and I like to build around them as well since it makes it harder to access anything other than the door and the door tends to be the strongest part of the safe.

As far as your door that can't look ghetto, draw something up after you measure what you need to fill and go to a local welding shop and get an estimate.  I would add a  heavy metal frame and what not so that the door is not easily removed without pulling the bricks and other stuff down.

When looking at doors and what not start paying attention to commercial rated doors and what not.  The school I used to work for had some doors installed and the door frame was installed and then they poured concrete into that frame to strengthen it and it had nice big bolts attaching it to the surrounding walls.  The doors were not thin metal over weak frames, they were serious doors and weighed a lot but I don't know how much since I did not help with the installation.

Anyway, think layers and think setups that are not dependant on each other.  

That is why I sort of like game cameras since they work by themselves and you can stick a few here and there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Repeat as neccessary.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well apparently it flew under the media's radar but it got pretty buck wild down here on the south side of Houston.  ..........

I am in south Houston and I have ben running off looters since wed night, thank god my neighbors are back and can help. HPD did a great job of going around patrolling, they had run off tons of people from teh north side of town, and I will say out of all the people I saw scoping our townhomes out where not white, not a single one, and so far it's been 14
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both an alarm system (monitored) and a security camera/video system.  There's a huge peace of mind when the house is empty, or even when your sleeping. A pair of security lights is also a good idea. I have the kind that come on at dusk (1/2 power) then kick on full strength when tripped.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagging for the bitch slap...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be new...

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Welcome to the fold you idiot...cameras @ x10.com WAY cheaper, less than $250. Acording to most people theres GUNS everywhere killing children and puppies! Get one and shoot to disable or centermass its your choice! Get a new STEEL door and frame at every entrance former DU'er. 1 down...

You know, children like you give the Internet a bad name.  Go back to your room and do your homework.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Well just found out I'm one of three houses that got hit on my culve-de-sac.  I already have a dog, but couldn't leave her for obvious reasons.  Guns are only good if you're there to use them, luckily I took all mine.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Tagging for the bitch slap...

IBTBS

Damn it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well just found out I'm one of three houses that got hit on my culve-de-sac.  I already have a dog, but couldn't leave her for obvious reasons.  Guns are only good if you're there to use them, luckily I took all mine.  

Hopefully you keep your small valuables in the gun safe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be new...

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/0001a.jpg

Didja get short barrels for them yet?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be new...

gitcher finger off the trigger, brother, I was just havin fun...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.1stcavmedic.com/glossary-files/claymore-1.jpg

Taffy

ETA

I'm sorry you went through this ordeal but i'm glad you are ok....

Works every time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be new...

Didja get short barrels for them yet?

For the most recent 94s? Not yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be new...

gitcher finger off the trigger, brother, I was just havin fun...

Roger that, standing down.

Coulda been worse, coulda suggested they was Bobcats.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy.

Steyr doesn't own MP5s...no one has any transferable real HK MP5s...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
In addition to alarms and cameras, consider a security screen door.  These are bolted to the outside of the door jam with one-way bolts, and open out.  The only "easy" way to get through a Class-4 door would be to hook it up to a truck with a chain and pull it off with the truck.  Well, maybe a welder too.  But who is going to spend that kind of time or effort when they can just move on to the next house?

These doors come in black and white, and newer ones have some pretty attractive designs.  You can buy them at any Home Depot or Lowes.  I recommend buying the bit that's designed for the one-way screws and using a drill to screw them in.  I had mine installed in less than 30 minutes, using a tape measure, level, drill, pencil, and one person to help hold up the door while I screwed the hinge side into place.

I also keyed the door knob and deadbolt to the same key pattern as my inner door, so one key works all the locks.

I would estimate that this <$200 expenditure (including the driver bit, sales tax, etc.) improved my home's physical security by about 200%.

-Troy

I'm just wondering if a few items like that, might draw more attention to your house. I sometimes wonder if extra security features will draw the criminals in, thinking you have some high end goods at your house.

At my last condo, I lived in an area that was going downhill. Even though there were a lot of residences nearby, one night some crooks, about 5 am, ripped the whole front end of a carryout off with their van and I presume a big chain. It woke me up, and I looked out and saw what was going on (about 200 feet away plus) and by the time the cops got there they were gone. I talked to the owner the next day, and he said that he had the back of the store broken into the previous month, and after improving the back security (away from the street), they just came back and ripped the whole front of the store off.

I just think a lot of times if they want, they are going to get it (if you are not there at home) and I would worry about tipping anyone off to extra security...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully you keep your small valuables in the gun safe.

As others have said...Staying put requires a nice black rifle or shotgun, and leaving the area requires no less than a decent size sife for your valuables. Make it one that is too heavy to carry off

I stayed for Ivan and so did this. Big help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy.

Popcorn.

Brewski.

Ready.

ETA: Damn, what a let down.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I heard these work well

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I heard these work well

www.so-net.ne.jp/SF-Online/no14_19980425/image/special/ED209.jpg

Drop the TV
You have 10 seconds to comply
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Real security is had by using multiple overlapping techniques in  layered fields of fire, all of which have individual weaknesses, but together, can deter or delay any likely attack.

-Troy

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Doors and door reinforcements. These guys kicked the crap out of my door. While the door itself help up ok, the door jam, the dead bolt, and the door knob are all FUBAR. That's right the dead bolt bent in a 45 degree angle. Is there anything I can do to reinforce the door and door jam? Also what's a good quality dead bolt?

Check your Lowes/Home Depot/equivalent for door reinforcers, and armored strike plates.

What you described is exactly what happens when you don't reinforce the door around the deadbolt, and don't use a real armored strike plate.

The armored strike plate requires some chiselling on the door jamb, then secure it with good long screws (at least 3")

The screws that come with the armored strike plate are usually crap. Spend a couple of bucks on good screws.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I think we should pass a law making it illegal for people to loot.

Oh,

Wait,  

We did that.  Nevermind.

rick
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I heard the news report their were people in houston firing off "automatic" weapons. They made it sound like they were shooting at the cops or something. as usual they reported wrong. It was really SteyrAug chasing a guy with straggly hair who was carrying a case of Hieneken beers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Over armoring your door doesn't make a lot of sense whena few feet away is a window to be broken out.  Especially when there isn't going to be any emergency responders, you have do decide what you can lose and what you really need to protect.  If you have to bug out, having everything valuable you have to leave in a good safe or two, forget about saving things like electronics, etc.  Save what insurance can't replace, bite the bullet on the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top