Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 12:49:02 PM EDT
Hey everyone, Im maybe looking at getting a reliable 9mm carbine to complement a pistol in said caliber. This makes sense for ammo interchangability etc. Is this the way to go, should I just forget it and get a rifle instead. What are your thoughts on 9mm carbines in general and which are the best? Thanks in advance.
-Tac
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine.  Here is a before pic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Best?

Really, you can't get much better for a 9mm carbine than an HK94, or one of the newer knockoffs of the HK94 that have been worked on by a competent HK gunsmith.

For .45, I want to say the USC, the HK civvie version of a UMP..but I've never handled one, let alone fired one, so I don't know if there's a better carbine in .45 ACP out there or not.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably the best all around for price and availability is the Colt AR6450.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a Vector Arms Uzi from Atlantic Firearms.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an Oly/Glock 9mm AR and I love it.  If you are wanting a carbine to compliment your handgun in the same caliber, how could you go wrong with the Oly/Glock 9mm carbine and a Glock 17 or 19 that all three use the same mags!!!!!!!!!

One of the best decisions/investments I've made . . .
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Big +1  

Plus the most reliable.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it really depends how much you're looking to spend and what 9mm pistol you're trying to pair it with. If you're looking to save some $$, look into the Kel-Tec Sub2000. They're extremely compact (16" x 7", folded), available in several versions that accept popular pistol mags, carry a lifetime warranty, and usually run about $300.

www.kel-tec.com

Mine was completely reliable, fairly accurate, and fit in my range bag.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Neglecting price and availability, how would you compare the Colt AR6450  to the HK 94?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like mine.  Here is a before pic.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/coloradofiveo/Guns.jpg

And the after pic?.....come on man, don't leave us hanging like that......
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Here it is.  I changed the stock and handguard.  Not a very good pic but you get the idea.  My dog Fred wanted in the picture too!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
What about the M169? Just thinking of that weapon makes me remember the video.
But seriously has anyone tried one and how are they?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Why would I want a rifle size gun to shot a handgun round?  If I am going to carry a rifle size gun, I'd much rather have a rifle round coming out the business end.  

I never did see the point of pistol caliber rifles.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Beretta CX4 Storm's my choice.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neglecting price and availability, how would you compare the Colt AR6450  to the HK 94?

I prefer the HK but would feel perfectly fine with the Colt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I would build my own AR in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why would I want a rifle size gun to shot a handgun round?  If I am going to carry a rifle size gun, I'd much rather have a rifle round coming out the business end.  

Rapid target acquisition with minimal muzzle blast or felt recoil allows the shooter to stay on target or engage multiple targets. Longer sight radius of a carbine offers superior accuracy than a handgun plus platfrom for tac lights, etc. as well as greater magazine capacity.

Basically all the things that make an MP5 a great tool for taking on a bunch of bad guys indoors.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Try a Vector Arms Uzi from Atlantic Firearms.

Depends on your needs, but to me an Uzi is the AK of the carbine world.
- heavy
+ compact
+ eats anything you give it including +p, and +p+
+ spare parts available
+ hi-caps plentiful
+ ease of take-down and cleaning
+ accurate (no it's not an HK but it will hit it's mark)
+ reliable
+ durable
+ proven in battle, law enforcment, and other
+ fuuuuuunnnnnn to shoot

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rapid target acquisition with minimal muzzle blast or felt recoil allows the shooter to stay on target or engage multiple targets. Longer sight radius of a carbine offers superior accuracy than a handgun plus platfrom for tac lights, etc. as well as greater magazine capacity.

Basically all the things that make an MP5 a great tool for taking on a bunch of bad guys indoors.

Not to mention a gain in velocity over pistol length barrels.
CH
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats the recoil like on the vector uzis? Controllable? Uzis are originally israeli, Israelis generally make some badass gear, might look into one. Anyone have some cool 9mm uzi pics? Also, can you get flash suppressors and or compensators for them?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Get one of these and SBR it like I did.

3" groups at 100 yards with 115 grain Winchester white box 9mm using my Eotech.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
A 9mm AR15 carbine would be the way to go.

Steyr dont they also work with uzi mags(But the bolt wont hold open correct) so you would have 25rd,32rd colt mags and Beta C mag 100rd drums.

If  thats to much get a CX4 with 20rd high cap mag's .Thats the highest cap mag I could get with the one I had. Dont know if there were 30rd mags out there or not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer the HK but would feel perfectly fine with the Colt.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A 9mm AR15 carbine would be the way to go.

Steyr dont they also work with uzi mags(But the bolt wont hold open correct) so you would have 25rd,32rd colt mags and Beta C mag 100rd drums.

If  thats to much get a CX4 with 20rd high cap mag's .Thats the highest cap mag I could get with the one I had. Dont know if there were 30rd mags out there or not.

9mm ARs will work with "modified" Uzi mags but won't engage the bolt hold open.

Now that there is no ban and Colt 9mm mags are no longer $150 each I'd recommend factory mags.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Since I already have a Glock 17, I'd be looking at a 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Check out the olympic website if you're looking for a carbine that takes glock mags, they make an AR carbine with a lower that is specifically made for Glock mags.  As for the Uzi, my dad has one, and the recoil is minimal, and they are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Beretta CX4 Storm's my choice.

+1  After trying many others. I pronounce it very, very good.  It is deserving of a cult following.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
How available are high quality high cap mags for that storm (20+ rounds)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Recoil is pretty much nill since the full size weighs about 9lb with a full mag
Quite controllable. The Vectors are usually Isreali and stamped IMI-Isreal made on imported recievers. I have seen a kit with a AR type flash suppressor on it. Don't remember where I saw it though. One thing they may be pricey in your area? Straight from Vector I think the are going for $600.

United States Secret Service agent holding his Uzi after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top