Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 11:52:39 AM EDT
Which brand do you prefer?

During the last hurricane, it was too rainy and windy to cook outside. Using sterno, cooked a delicious can of cooked barbeque and rice inside.

What do you say?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
qwazert.tripod.com/burnerbuild2/burnerbuild2.htm

Everclear "beercan stove"... costs nothing and works GREAT.

+ you can trade/drink the fuel
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
niether

coleman stove

...but I didn't need fumes and co2 inside the house..

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
niether

coleman stove

same here...works great
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What other alocohols burn well enough to work?

I’m betting that grain alcohol and methanol paint stripper(or combinations there of like isopropyl) at 180 proof+ are the only things that work worth a damn. You could still use stuff like wild turkey but it would wind up working more like "sterno" and less like a stove.

NOTE FOR THOSE IN LOMA LINDA: I'm not suggesting that you drink methanol or isopropyl (or sterno for that matter)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What other alocohols burn well enough to work?

I’m betting that grain alcohol and methanol paint stripper(or combinations there of like isopropyl) at 180 proof+ are the only things that work worth a damn. You could still use stuff like wild turkey but it would wind up working more like "sterno" and less like a stove.

NOTE FOR THOSE IN LOMA LINDA: I'm not suggesting that you drink methanol or isopropyl (or sterno for that matter)

That is Rio Linda.

I have made many of these.  Best to find correct sized cans like the smaller V8 cans for the inner sealing ring to eliminate the longseam.  If you make a half dozen, you can use these to cook some big meals.  A single will boil a quart in about 8 minutes.

Only ethanol works acceptably.  100% isopropyl is too sooty and methanol burns too fast.  But regular denatured alcohol is fine and is as cheap as Coleman fuel.

These are best for secondary heat, like making coffee.  But if you are firing a large griddle, 3 will do the job fine, freeing the Coleman for other tasks.

Where they really shine is ultra lightweight camping.  The pot stand plus stove and a can of alcohol is far lighter than any other stove out there.

Sterno sucks...it isn't enough heat to really cook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top