User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/24/2005 8:25:19 AM EDT
Nagin responds to NRA suit
Friday, 10:49 p.m.

Staff reports

In response to a lawsuit filed by the NRA, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday night that he never authorized the taking of weapons from citizens.

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit in federal court, claiming that the confiscation of guns from private citizens, as ordered by New Orleans Police Chief Eddie Compass, was a violation of the Second Amendment. On Friday, a restraining order was issued in federal court barring any further weapons from being taken.

Nagin's office issued a statement Friday that Compass made statements about taking weapons from citizens without Nagin's knowledge. Compass said no weapons had been taken.

Nagin said Friday night that he has no intention of issuing orders to confiscate weapons.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks to me like a bit of CYA going on there.  The unfortunate part is that everyone knows that he knew and that he is just trying to save his own hide.  Typical politician....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
[
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday night that he never authorized the taking of weapons from citizens.
]

Then WHO DID asswipe?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Will someone show Nagin the video that a LEO tackled a homeowner-old lady and took her gun away and shipped her to a shelter concentration camp?  
 I hope some citizens sue their ass for this.

fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I think its funny how the left wants to place the fed response squarely on George Bush's shoulders.  The NO Police Commanders issue orders to confiscate guns and suddenly the Mayor did not know anything about it.  Wasn't the guy watching the news?  He could have rescinded that order in a heartbeat if he wanted to
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope all this ends up in court. Nagin and the chief of police can be garnished for the rest of their lives.

There needs to be some jail time, too. The JBT "only following orders" excuse should not be allowed.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
NAgin=asshat

Yes!! At least they stopped confiscations for now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
At least this shows that gun rights are making progress, he sees it as more politically damaging to have supported gun confiscation than not to have supported it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Will someone show Nagin the video that a LEO tackled a homeowner-old lady and took her gun away and shipped her to a shelter?  

I just had a nice conversation with several CHP officers here in Ripon... right up till they told me they just got back from NOLA.

I was all set to take pics of their Camaro and BMW K bike...  They answered all my stupid questions about CA use of force law, and what types of weapons they carried in their squads and shit.  We compared gun laws in TX and Ca...

But when they said they just got back from NOLA and started on how you're a criminal if you have a gun outside of your car and stuff, I told them "I can't talk to you guys anymore, not after what happened down there..." and walked away.  They didn't get it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will someone show Nagin the video that a LEO tackled a homeowner-old lady and took her gun away and shipped her to a shelter?  

+1 and i will happily donate to their legal funds.

Then contribute either to the NRA or the Second Amendment Foundation - or both - as they are bringing the lawsuits, and they got the restraining order issued.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday night that he never authorized the taking of weapons from citizens.
]

Then WHO DID asswipe?  

Bush did it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The NRA has a specific Civil RIghts Defense Fund. COntribute to that instead of the regular NRA programs. Either that or the Political Victory Fund.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Hot damn!Its about time the gungrabbers were on the defensive
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think its funny how the left wants to place the fed response squarely on George Bush's shoulders.  The NO Police Commanders issue orders to confiscate guns and suddenly the Mayor did not know anything about it.  Wasn't the guy watching the news?  He could have rescinded that order in a heartbeat if he wanted to

NOLA mayor Nagin knew exactly what he was doing.  They/we have him on record as quoted by various newspapers.  There is nothing he can do or say to take that back, Nagin gave the orders.  If this guy had concerntrated on rescue & relief, all would be fine and well.  The good people of NOLA deserve to turn this guy out of office in the next election cycle, along with the ding-bat Gov.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is nothing he can do or say to take that back...

How about "I'm an afrikan-american and this is another example of the racist attempt  by the white devil slave master George W Bush and that oil tycoon Dick Cheney to keep the black man down!"

Bah!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.................... and started on how you're a criminal if you have a gun outside of your car and stuff, I told them "I can't talk to you guys anymore, not after what happened down there..." and walked away.  They didn't get it.  

Bravo.  I believe that they didn't get it.  Very few seem to.  Gun in hand of law abiding citizen does NOT necessarily mean bad!!!!!!  But I am tired of trying to get the point across.

Whatever.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
His statement is right in line with all the rest of the denile of responsibility the shitstick has demonstrated over the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]
At least he's not openly bashing the NRA and actively supporting more confiscations (at least in public...). As long as we keep these people on the defensive, we at least have something to be thankful for.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#20]
You people do realize that it's more than likely that this shitwit doesn't give a damn about the Second Amendment or the NRA?

I'm betting he's paying more attention to 'federal court' and 'injunction.'

Not that it matters. Whatever it takes to teach these assholes, and get the point across. But I bet he isn't feeling a lick of direct remorse for infringing on the Second.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[sarcasm]damn scumbag lawyers[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh?  what's your point (really... I don't understand what you are trying to communicate)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Funny. "Not My FAULT-Nagin" It's always someone else who did it - or didn't do it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh?  what's your point (really... I don't understand what you are trying to communicate)

just expressing frustration that stems from another thread. nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just expressing frustration that stems from another thread. nothing to see here.

10-4
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#26]
If the officers involved in the confiscation cannot prove that they were ordered to do what they did, they were what -"rogue"? It then falls to the individual officer to take the heat -fine by me. Next time they'll get their orders in writing or refuse verbal directives entirely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#27]
The people who endured this shit are going to sue the pants off the fuckers who did it.

Charges like civil rights violations, assault under color, theft, armed robbery and false arrest will be forthcoming. Nagin is just trying to cover his ass (and in the process hang his people out to dry). Unfortunately for that shitbird, he is on video taking responsibility for most of the illegal stuff that took place.

ALL of the men who took part and their bosses need to rot in the pen with bubba.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10-4

He's saying that ARFCOMmers think lawyers are damn scumbags, except when WE want to sue someone
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just had a nice conversation with several CHP officers here in Ripon... right up till they told me they just got back from NOLA.

I was all set to take pics of their Camaro and BMW K bike...  They answered all my stupid questions about CA use of force law, and what types of weapons they carried in their squads and shit.  We compared gun laws in TX and Ca...

But when they said they just got back from NOLA and started on how you're a criminal if you have a gun outside of your car and stuff, I told them "I can't talk to you guys anymore, not after what happened down there..." and walked away.  They didn't get it.  

Of course, they don't 'get it'.  Most of CA LEOs are conditioned that guns are bad and civilians are not supposed to have...based on their laws in CA.  

Exactly. Knee-jerk CA response is that unless we feel you need those rights, you don't have those rights.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Why are they pursuing on 2nd amend grounds? would not 4th and 5th amends be more solid and less subject to "interpration" by the courts?
The second is important to you and me but most people don't give a shit
the 5th and moreso the 4th are respected and understood by more people than the 2nd and there is alot less conflicting arguements
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys aren't seeing the BIG picture on this. Do you realize the magnatude of this lawsuit?

Federal Court guys! 2nd Amendment guys!

We just might get a ruling on individual vs. collective rights out of this and then move on with the bigger stuff..

This is VERY important to the pro-gun community! If they included the 4th and 5th, then the 2nd would be set aside. The feds HAVE to concentrate on the 2nd in this case. This is very important. I want to see those cops and Nagin take the heat for this too, but more importantly, I want to see something positive come out of this in the form of a Supreme Court ruling... Let's see what John Roberts is made of...

This will also force the hand of the liberal supremes.. They certainly don't want to seem racist, now do they?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Friday, 10:49 p.m.

Staff reports

In response to a lawsuit filed by the NRA, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday night that he never authorized the taking of weapons from citizens.

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit in federal court, claiming that the confiscation of guns from private citizens, as ordered by New Orleans Police Chief Eddie Compass, was a violation of the Second Amendment. On Friday, a restraining order was issued in federal court barring any further weapons from being taken.

Nagin's office issued a statement Friday that Compass made statements about taking weapons from citizens without Nagin's knowledge. Compass said no weapons had been taken.

Nagin said Friday night that he has no intention of issuing orders to confiscate weapons.

He is an outright liar.  I saw him tell what I knew for a fact to be a bold-faced lie on National TV last week.  He is as corrupt as the police who looted that walmart -- I hate to say it, but he is a see no evil hear no evil type of guy.  We have film of renegade officers taking weapons.  I guess he is in the same league as Saddam's PR "There are no American tanks in Baghdad" Guy.  I hope he gets his ass handed to him.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, they don't 'get it'.  Most of CA LEOs are conditioned that guns are bad and civilians are not supposed to have...based on their laws in CA.  

All phases of the Calif state govt is dominated by the liberals & Dems. The Dems have locks in on the upper and lower legislature, the Dems dominiate executive branch, except Arnold, and the judicial. What's there not to like if you're a liberal and Democrat, Calif is heaven on earth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Mayor Nagin's press secretary N'awlins Bob had this to say.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The people who endured this shit are going to sue the pants off the fuckers who did it.

Charges like civil rights violations, assault under color, theft, armed robbery and false arrest will be forthcoming. Nagin is just trying to cover his ass (and in the process hang his people out to dry). Unfortunately for that shitbird, he is on video taking responsibility for most of the illegal stuff that took place.

ALL of the men who took part and their bosses need to rot in the pen with bubba.

According to the Left, Civil rights violations= fed prision time. Lets see if this actually happens
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOLA mayor Nagin knew exactly what he was doing.  They/we have him on record as quoted by various newspapers.  There is nothing he can do or say to take that back, Nagin gave the orders.  If this guy had concerntrated on rescue & relief, all would be fine and well.  The good people of NOLA deserve to turn this guy out of office in the next election cycle, along with the ding-bat Gov.

Yeah. He knew.

I seem to remember a bit if an argument about chain of command on the news; the reporter was saying that the National Guard had been ordered to cofiscate guns, and the National Guard said, "We don't take orders from the Mayor of NO."

I don't remember where I read it, but that is what I remember them saying.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#41]
lincolndz: Whatever the case, at when we get down to the "finger-pointing" and "he said, she said," we will find the truth. Somewhere, someplace, somebody issued the order, "okay Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them in(these are the butchered and tortured words of my illustratuous Calif Sen. Diane Fienstein)"
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations.

Okay, now that I got the rules down, how do I become a politician?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Did anyone see the news conference where they claimed there were not killings and rapes in the Superdome, no mutilated bodies, just rumors, nothing happened there, move along?

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Mayor Nagin never gave the order.  Someone here says they have it on tape.  If so, please post the link.  It was one comment by the police chief that was picked up by the New York Times.

My local cable provider has got all of the FEMA and local news conferences on one of our channels for some reason.  There was just the daily briefing from NOLA that none of the cable news networks carried so no one will ever see it unless they replay the tape.

The police chief was asked to comment on the NRA lawsuit and gun confiscation.  He started to refer the question to the city attorney but then said, "No, I'll answer it."  He said that his comment was, in no way, directed to law abiding citizens.  He had only slept 6 hours out of 72, he'd been shot at and nearly kidnapped just before the made the comment.  He then went to apologize for making such a hasty comment that was misinterpreted.

I think this is such a non-issue that y'all are getting your panties in a wad over for no reason.  You see a short video of one drunk, mentally unstable little old lady being disarmed for her own protection by 'jack-booted thugs' and you all go apoplectic.  I know there is another ABC News story out there about 3 upscale white guys being disarmed but the one that has everyone creaming in their pants over is that poor little old lady.  Watch the video again.  She sounds drunk or medicated.  I would have bum-rushed her too with her waiving that gun around like that.  Talk about crappy muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Mayor Nagin never gave the order.  Someone here says they have it on tape.  If so, please post the link.  It was one comment by the police chief that was picked up by the New York Times.

My local cable provider has got all of the FEMA and local news conferences on one of our channels for some reason.  There was just the daily briefing from NOLA that none of the cable news networks carried so no one will ever see it unless they replay the tape.

The police chief was asked to comment on the NRA lawsuit and gun confiscation.  He started to refer the question to the city attorney but then said, "No, I'll answer it."  He said that his comment was, in no way, directed to law abiding citizens.  He had only slept 6 hours out of 72, he'd been shot at and nearly kidnapped just before the made the comment.  He then went to apologize for making such a hasty comment that was misinterpreted.

I think this is such a non-issue that y'all are getting your panties in a wad over for no reason.  You see a short video of one drunk, mentally unstable little old lady being disarmed for her own protection by 'jack-booted thugs' and you all go apoplectic.  I know there is another ABC News story out there about 3 upscale white guys being disarmed but the one that has everyone creaming in their pants over is that poor little old lady.  Watch the video again.  She sounds drunk or medicated.  I would have bum-rushed her too with her waiving that gun around like that.  Talk about crappy muzzle discipline.

There are NUMEROUS cases of confiscations - are you a hear no evil, see no evil type of person who believes that the authorities did no wrong here?  Are you a California CHP member?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You guys aren't seeing the BIG picture on this. Do you realize the magnatude of this lawsuit?

Federal Court guys! 2nd Amendment guys!

We just might get a ruling on individual vs. collective rights out of this and then move on with the bigger stuff..

This is VERY important to the pro-gun community! If they included the 4th and 5th, then the 2nd would be set aside. The feds HAVE to concentrate on the 2nd in this case. This is very important. I want to see those cops and Nagin take the heat for this too, but more importantly, I want to see something positive come out of this in the form of a Supreme Court ruling... Let's see what John Roberts is made of...

This will also force the hand of the liberal supremes.. They certainly don't want to seem racist, now do they?

This goes up the same path that Emmerson did - where the court ruled that 'you have an individual right, but Emmerson lost his thru due process, so the conviction stands' (or that was the way I remember it, IIRC)...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I would have bum-rushed her too with her waiving that gun around like that.  Talk about crappy muzzle discipline.

YOU need to look at the video again!! She was holding the gun around the cylinder in a non threatening manner in her own home where she clearly states she does not want them in her house!!

You must be proud to admit you would bum rush an elderly woman in her own home!

Talk about being a crappy gun owner
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I see the same mindset with many people I work with......a lot of guys......especially young guys just don't GET IT......when it comes to Constitutional Rights......too many people who use the TV series COPS and Hollywood movies as their legal basis.....They don't grasp the 1st, 2nd, or 4th Amendment....they just think they are the good guys automatically and they scoff the concept of individual rights.......up until it happens to them......I am very afraid to see what our nation looks like in 20 years.......Especially if people continue to ignore our most basic human rights.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The video you posted was an extensively edited version and does not accurately illustrate what actually occurred. In any case forget Patricia Konie. She is not a plaintiff in the case.

Do you actually believe that a temporary restraining order would have been granted unless there was credible evidence that illegal gun seizures had occurred?  The plaintiffs in the case are two local gun owners who had their firearms illegally seized. One of the plaintiffs is identified below.

washingtontimes.com/national/20050922-111326-6278r.htm

" New Orleans Police Superintendent P. Edwin Compass III "completely overstepped his bounds ... when he announced two weeks ago in the New York Times that only law-enforcement personnel are allowed to have weapons," Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the 3-million member NRA said in an interview yesterday.  The police superintendent's comments were echoed by the city's Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley, who told ABC News: "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

"Plaintiffs in the suit against the City of New Orleans are two local gun owners. One, whom Mr. LaPierre identified as Buell Teel, was on a boat rescuing people. "To protect himself, he had a firearm on the boat," which police saw and seized, Mr. LaPierre said. "
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top